X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi Stream Announcements & Questions

Hi all,

Those of you who have been with GateWorld for years and years know that I've always wanted to offer a site that covers not just the Stargate franchise that I love so much, but science fiction TV and entertainment as a whole. In the early days that took the form of a site called SciFiGuide.net, where I created episode guides for several different shows alongside what would become GateWorld, and tried to keep up with sci-fi news headlines.

It soon became evident that I didn't have the time for this, and that it was detracting from what the Stargate site could be -- and GateWorld was born! The additional episode guides have come along for the ride.

New technology (and an idear or two) has made it possible for me to finally create a site that I think can do what the old SciFiGuide.net wanted to do -- only much better, because YOU are the ones who will be making it good. I'd like to introduce you to SciFi Stream:

http://www.scifistream.com/

The new site is now ready to debut in BETA stage -- meaning I need you to sign up, kick it around, and tell me what you think. I'll continue to fine-tune over the summer, and hopefully it will be ready for a full roll-out in the fall.

The site basically works with the increasingly popular Digg format, relying on user-generated submissions. That will usually be as simple as writing a title and 1-sentence description, and pasting the link. For those who actually want to write original news stories, that's also great -- and those who consistently write quality, original content for the site may be brought on in a more official capacity down the road. The collective voting will of the community determines which stories are worth reading and which aren't.

Other features include comments, friends list and private messaging, sorting and RSS feeds specific to each show, the ability to track the success of your submissions, save favorite stories, and more.

In addition to movies, books, comics, and more, there are a huge number of genre shows currently in production (in some form) for the coming TV season to cover:

The 4400
    Babylon 5
    Battlestar Galactica
    The Dead Zone
    The Bionic Woman
    Doctor Who
    The Dresden Files
    Eureka
    Heroes
    Jericho
    Journeyman
    Kyle XY
    Lost
    Moonlight
    New Amsterdam
    Painkiller Jane
    Pushing Daisies
    Sanctuary
    The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    Smallville
    Stargate
    Star Trek
    Torchwood

Give SciFi Stream a look-see, create an account, and let me know what you think. If you want to actively beta test, you can post notes here. If you don't want to beta test ... well, it's still a fully functional site, so just have fun! The site is already automatically aggregating news feeds from GateWorld, SciFi.com, TrekWeb, and SyFy Portal on an up-to-the-minute basis.

I hope that the site is something truly original and valuable to sci-fi fandom. Of course, for it to ever be that, it needs an active community of fans to make it a success. Thanks!
    Last edited by Darren; 31 May 2007, 09:19 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Sweet! Definitely looking forward to seeing how this site works out, have certainly been looking for a more comprehensive Sci-fi news site.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      Give SciFi Stream a look-see, create an account, and let me know what you think. If you want to actively beta test, you can post notes here. If you don't want to beta test ... well, it's still a fully functional site, so just have fun! The site is already automatically aggregating news feeds from GateWorld, SciFi.com, TrekWeb, and SyFy Portal on an up-to-the-minute basis.

I hope that the site is something truly original and valuable to sci-fi fandom. Of course, for it to ever be that, it needs an active community of fans to make it a success. Thanks!
      Okay Darren - checked the site out a bit tonight and kicked around for a while -

Here is one for you to fix

IE 7
      XP Pro

Hard to click on links when covered by Google ad (see pic)

Same Page in Firefox 2.0.0.3

Last edited by tsaxlady; 29 May 2007, 08:57 PM.
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Great -- these are both known issues, but I haven't tracked down every single instance of them yet.

Please also let me know the URL from your browser's Location bar when you spot these, so I can track them down. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
          Okay Darren - checked the site out a bit tonight and kicked around for a while -

Here is one for you to fix

IE 7
          XP Pro

Hard to click on links when covered by Google ad (see pic)

Same Page in Firefox 2.0.0.3

Works flawlessly in Opera 9.10 !
          Stop using Internet Exploder

BTW Use a decent firewall and antipsyware software !

Comment

IE6
            XP Pro

This shows up on every page when I'm logged in on a computer with IE6, however it wasn't a problem on IE7.

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
              Works flawlessly in Opera 9.10 !
              Stop using Internet Exploder

BTW Use a decent firewall and antipsyware software !
              Hum lets see Betaing a site means one needs to test it in different browsers and since IE is still a browser used by a large number of people of course it would make sense to not test a site with IE. In fact I did the IE stuff at work since that is the only browser they allow on computers.

Darren: Okay went to the site today to add a story and found that I have been credited for adding several articles that I did not add. It's not that they don't belong on the site but I have only added these two 1st and 2nd - the rest credited to me here were submited by someone else.
              Last edited by tsaxlady; 31 May 2007, 03:40 PM. Reason: Add more information

Comment

Hmmm ... that would indicate a bug in the software's source code. I'll look into it ...

EDIT: I noticed that ALL the other items listed here are coming from / linked to Digg.com. Nora, do you have a Digg account? Do these look like headlines you have submitted to Digg in the past?

http://www.scifistream.com/user.php?...dy&view=shaken

There is a way to quickly and easily Digg a headline on SciFi Stream. I wonder if they have built in some sort of automated tracker going the other way, as well.

Comment

Yes, I see that I have an add-on module installed that apparently does just this -- takes your Digg submissions and automatically adds them to SciFi Stream. I have disabled it, but it's interesting to know it's something we could do.

Did you enter your Digg username in your profile?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    Yes, I see that I have an add-on module installed that apparently does just this -- takes your Digg submissions and automatically adds them to SciFi Stream. I have disabled it, but it's interesting to know it's something we could do.

Did you enter your Digg username in your profile?
                    Okay Darren yes I did enter my Digg username in my profile. It looks like it is pulling articles that I have given a digg to - I only submited one of them to Digg but everything I have voted on/digg is showing up.

Comment

whether folks like IE or not, it always has been and likely always will be something that is used...thus something that needs to be tested with.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure you are aware of this , but just in case....

Just tried to register, but could not. Routed to IE error page.
                        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                        Quint Studer

Comment

If you saw a browser error page and not a SciFi Stream error page, it may have been a temporary issue with the server or your Internet connection. Please give it another try!

Comment

Awesome site, dude. Bookmarked.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

The forum link led me here so im posting it here...

PLEASE for the love of God add dates to the posts and PLEASE list the news from new to old (new up, old down). Everytime i go into the site to read some news i think that i've read it all... Then i scroll down a little, and boyo... there are 4 news i hav'nt read! The voting system keeps news on the top and thats bad...

Dates would solve this. A new story, a new date, bringing the newest date furthest up.

Comment

Working...
                              X