X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Douglas Adams appreciation thread

This thread is dedicated to the work of the english writer genius
    Douglas Noel Adams (aka DNA.) who sadly died in 2001.
    His sense of humour is something many people will miss. I'm one of them.

For those who don't know him yet:
    He was not only the author of the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy, he also wrote the less known series of novels "Dirk Gently", some "Doctor Who" stories, and other essays about Technology, Music, the protection of Environment...

I know there is already here a long thread focusing on the Hitchhiker's guide, here, and here, (mostly about the movie adaptation).
    But if anyone wishes to discuss about other aspects of DNA's life & work, from Towel Day to the Meaning of Liff, don't hesitate to post here.

I'll start with Liff.

Douglas Adams and and John Lloyd co-wrote 2 books, of a concept I particularly like :
    "the meaning of Liff". and its sequel "The Deeper Meaning of Liff". It's a sort of "dictionary of things that there aren't any words for yet".
    They chose names of geographical places (towns in the UK mainly), to define an object, a kind of person or a common situation.

For exemple:
    THRUMSTRER (n.)
    The irritating man next to you in a concert who thinks he's (a) the conductor, (b) the brass section

SCRAMOGE (vb.)
    To cut oneself whilst licking envelopes.

OZARK (n.)
    One who offers to help just after all the work has been done.

MOTSPUR (n.)
    The fourth wheel of a supermarket trolley which looks identical to the other tree but renders the trolley completely uncontrollable.

DARENTH (n.)
    Measure = 0.0000176 mg. Defined as that amount of margarine capable of covering one hundred slices of bread to the depth of one molecule. This is the legal maximum allowed in sandwich bars in Greater London.

CORRIEARKLET (n.)
    The moment at which two people approaching from opposite ends of a long passageway, recognise each other and immediately pretend they haven't. This is to avoid the ghastly embarrassment of having to continue recognising each other the whole length of the corridor.

There is a full transcript here:
    http://www.iolfree.ie/~gavcos/liff.html

Some followers came with definitions of their own:
    http://www.pages.drexel.edu/undergrad/aju22/liff2.html
    and on the H2G2 website, the continuing project of the even deeper meaning of Liff (although not updated for a while)...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A846065

Anyone who finds it funny are free to post their own definitions here!
    and any other comments are welcome.

Which question do you think 42 is the answer for?

Nice work. If fact, I'd even go so far as to say it was rather hoopy.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Nice work. If fact, I'd even go so far as to say it was rather hoopy.
      Thank you! it's an honour to be awarded hoopy!

Comment

I've read all the HitchHikers series.. I'm going to buy the Dirk Gently series as well.. as soon as I can find them and I have money

Comment

Ahhh.....Love Douglas Adams. Have a nice Hitchhiker's Guide box set, though I haven't read the last two books yet for some reason. Must get around to that. "The Salmon of Doubt" is another great book, a collection of leftover work and articles that was published after he died.

Comment

Douglas Adams = Genius.

Don't know what else to say really.
            My blog
            My Twitter

Comment

Amen to that sister.

He may be gone, but he'll never be forgotten.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
              X