Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mal Doran or not

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Speaking of, did Tomin ever get a last name? What is with these one-name people? Do the Ori not believe in last names?

-Stef
    Well it is a Medieval society, and I'm pretty sure last names really weren't used during that time, or at least not by everyone.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Speaking of, did Tomin ever get a last name? What is with these one-name people? Do the Ori not believe in last names?

-Stef

I have no idea if they use surnames. Vala just said his name was Tomin but never said if he even had a last name.

In many casses the surname developed out of being the "son" of ____ (father's name) or person's name___ from___.

Leonardo de Vinci--for example--means Leonardo from Vinci (a city)

Dickson--english name--means Son of Dick--Patronymic name meaning "son of Dick." The given name Dick is a short form of Richard, meaning "brave power," derived from the German "ric" for power or rule and "hard" for brave and hardy.

source:http://genealogy.about.com/library/s...bl_meaning.htm

dickson: http://genealogy.about.com/library/s...me-DICKSON.htm

One would assume some sort of surname system would arise in a large order of people like the Ori followers.

We never knew the name of the village or planet they were on.

The names could be village, planet or solor system related in the ori galaxy too.

Quote Originally Posted by jds1982 View Post
    Well it is a Medieval society, and I'm pretty sure last names really weren't used during that time, or at least not by everyone.
    In medevil society--the person's father or city was the last name. As I have posted above.

The last names devolped from this trend. Even peasents had surnames...maybe not in the sense that we would use them.

Jeepers, my brain wasn't working last night.

Adria's last name is Oracle of the Ori.

She is Adria, Oracle of the Ori. Her title is her full name! Translate that to Ancient and you would have her last name. Anyone know Ancient?

Major General

Surnames come from professions too, like Smith.

I was aware how last names developed, I just wasn't sure when they developed.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

To be quite frank, I don't think she needs a last name. Vala, as she put it, was nothing more than a storage crate for Adria. Also, I just don't think 'Adria Mal Doran' sounds right.

-Stef
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    I have no idea if they use surnames. Vala just said his name was Tomin but never said if he even had a last name.

In many casses the surname developed out of being the "son" of ____ (father's name) or person's name___ from___.

Leonardo de Vinci--for example--means Leonardo from Vinci (a city)

Dickson--english name--means Son of Dick--Patronymic name meaning "son of Dick." The given name Dick is a short form of Richard, meaning "brave power," derived from the German "ric" for power or rule and "hard" for brave and hardy.
    Thank you, Jackie. To add a little,

Last names probably started around the 1700s (this is an estimate) and before that, people refered to themselves as "Maliki, son of Daniel" and such. Then, it became such as this;

Example 1- In Mckay, from the root word McCoy, 'Mc' means 'son of', so translated it means 'son of Coy'. 'Mc' always means thus, similarly in McKinney.

Example 2- In Candler or Smith, they were granted this title for it was what they did as an occupation. Candler, a candle maker, Smith, naturally a Smith.

Example 3- In the last and final observation, the last name could be were they were from like Nigers, who would be from Nigeria, and etc.

Sorry for going on like that, but I recently had a study on last names as a side project.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarIII View Post
    LOL, true, she may not have been hymenally intact but the actual conception in question was carried out without carnal event, besides why would the anti-christ be carried by a true virgin anyway.
    LOL how true.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

My vote goes to...

Spoiler:
    Of Nazzareth
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...grapes/Hee.gif
    To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elles View Post
    My vote goes to...

Spoiler:
    Of Nazzareth
    LOL What about Adria Skywalker! The next Sith Lord!
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: Adria's Last Name???? *spoilers for s9 and 10

Adriana Sun?

or Adriana Crichton?

Vala Re: Mal Doran or not

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    In medevil society--the person's father or city was the last name. As I have posted above.

The last names devolped from this trend. Even peasents had surnames...maybe not in the sense that we would use them.

Jeepers, my brain wasn't working last night.

Adria's last name is Oracle of the Ori.

She is Adria, Oracle of the Ori. Her title is her full name! Translate that to Ancient and you would have her last name. Anyone know Ancient?
    But that's so long! No one would bother.

Which is why Adria took her existing last name : Oracle of the Ori and turned into an acronym of the same thus turning: Oracle of the Ori... into : Ooto.

In fact, she filed legal papers to change her full name to Adria Ooto a few weeks ago.
    http://www.uberamandafan.com/assets/...ans/ateyes.jpg
    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ejay_angel.jpg

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer2007 View Post
    Adriana Sun?

or Adriana Crichton?
    Who's Adriana?

Major

Also keep in mind that the definition of the word *virgin* is not what it was say when it was the Virgin Mary giving birth the Jesus. It evolved into meaning what we say it means now, but way back in that day it did not mean the same thing.
    If a girl was called a virgin back then it was just a reference to her being young and unmarried, not having had carnal relations.

But back to the name..

Hey, she can start a rock band and go by a single name. Or in this day and age *total time jump from previous comment* she can take any name she wants.

*rant mode on*
    I think it is funny that when a couple gets married it is free for the woman to change her name to take the husband's last name but if the hubby wanted to take the wife's name he has to go through the courts and file name change documentation just like anyone who wanted to change their name for whatever reason

I also thought it was funny that when hubby and I got our marriage license, in Texas, I was given a gift package. The package consisted of..dish detergent, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, a loofah, and a few other things that hinted to me what Texas thought my role was suppose to be, from the 19th century.
    *rant mode off*

Talking Re: Adria's Last Name???? *spoilers for s9 and 10

OriMalDoran

Seriousley speaking though, there are three options:

*Adria MalDoran: The Technical name since she was conceived before marriage, but no one would use it.

*Adria of Ver Isca : I believe that's the town from where Tomin was, and would probaly be what she would be called were she not the Orici.

*Adria the Orici or simply Orici: Which is probably what her people call her, "Adria" being a name only she and her mother (and her friends) really use.

Adria's name is:

Adria Orici

Shielding McKay From Sunlight And Falling Citrus

TEALC doesnt have a last name actually most aliens dont have a last name mostly titles like thor supreme commander of the asgard fleet or darell the dragon lol

but adria Apu Nahasapeemapetilon sounds good! lol

Quote Originally Posted by wise one View Post

but adria Apu Nahasapeemapetilon sounds good! lol
    Sounds good to me too

Default Re: Adria's Last Name????

Didn't the couple Harrid and Sallis have last names? You know, the ones that Daniel and Vala were connected to through the Ancient device. They lived in the Ori village. I think their last name was Sisera or Cicero.