A Matter of Faith, Part Two (324)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmm View Post
    A good final arc, a so-so final ep. I read the last 3 eps in a row and I felt that the transition between the final eps was smooth and worked fine but the final episode lacked some glue.
    I agree that the episode was kind of broken into two parts, in that it finished the attack on Vorian arc and opened up a whole new one. I guess for some it works, and for others not so much. Glad you enjoyed the arc as a whole though, and appreciate the comments.

Ep 24 can be seen as a three part episode:
    a) The Find-The-Book-Ending part was superb, the pace was right and the story unfolded in a pinch. Zach figuring out the Kih'Andari attack... genius.I really liked this part, however that caused a major problem with the next part.
    Indeed, I do like how the attack on Vorian turned out more than anything else in the episode. I think we had already decided to screw Vorian bad in the finale by the time we had aired the four premiere episodes, so it was nice to finally see everything take shape.

b) Then the story sank into a 24-like-story part. The change of pace was too much. After reading two or three pages, it felt like something completely unrelated (Even like another episode). The book could have been a code, nuke, bio-weapon, whatever; it was all the same - some *random* guy infiltrated CTU... errm Horizon, to steal the book. We knew someone will betray the Vorians, we knew the book was for grabs (Something that important guarded by just 2 SF!). Too predictable and Ca'vel didn't convince me as a bad guy, he looked like a complete nincompoop. The interaction between Chris and the others was a nice touch, though.
    I can definitely see where you're coming from here, as I've often wondered where they hire CTU security on 24. Ca'vel's involvment ultimately served to introduce us to this "Syndicate" next season. Perhaps you're right about security, I don't imagine Horizon will make the same mistake next time.

c) The Ending: It was ok, Chase self-sacrifice was a good point (and a bit unexpected, the money was on other character), but that was it. Again, Adari's demise was far too predictable and 24ish (And so was blaming Vahret). And the organization behind Adari's death... I hope it will not turn into something like the Trust, the Lucian Alliance or the Genii. Naming it Syndicate hints dangerously into that direction (I hope that the name hint is a red-herring, and if it is, well done). Another thing I really didn't like: Hallowed are the Sentinels.
    Yeah, I believe a lot of times we actually threw out red herrings as far as who the identity of the character to die would be. Tom and David had a conversation a few episodes back that might lead one to believe they would die, along with the fact that they were in the middle of the space battle. In addition, Tom got injured. Sivea had the whole fluctuating personality and encounter with Lecia, the aftereffects of which might have killed her, or ascended her. Same with Grant, since Sivea kept invisioning his death. The focus on Christine in the moments before the final attack made her a possibility to. So, I'm glad it ended up expected, since that's what we were going for.

As for the Syndicate, hopefully it will come as something new and refreshing. And finally, the Ori-Sentinel connection just have a few similarities, but I believe it will all play out significantly differently.
    Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
    Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
    Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
    Stargate Destiny, Fan
    Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
      Oh, and what's with the lack of replies from Alex?
      I did actually reply to many of the comments here the day the episode was released. But due to a forum glitch on the next day, all my posts were erased. Just haven't gotten around to posting the same replies again so far, but fortunately Mike has already addressed many of the things.

I've been taking things easy these last couple of weeks (enjoying some more much needed "free time" between the seasons), but now that I've recharged my batteries, all energy is going into Season Four. And my personal feeling is, it's looking like this could end up being the best season yet. We've got some great and probably surprising things coming up this fall.
      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I don't care what anyone says - I loved it and can't wait for Season4. Bring it on!

Comment

Wow!
          More in depth later, maybe.
          But for now.
          Wow!

Comment

And just to elaborate on it,
            Wow!
            What an episode. Certainly not the best episode of Horizon, but the best season ending in Horizon history.
            Loved the battle seens directly over the Vorian capital, I am sure if this was on screen it would be spectacular. Just leaving it to the imagination was spectacular enough. And, for me, it was quite a roller coaster whether or not Der'rash would get the chance to fire the weapon or not. Great descsion having Zach figure out what the bad guys were up to with the whole jump into the atmosphere. Only wished it worked out in the end.
            Pity about Chase, I was actually grwoing fond of his character this season, he filled a much needed gap in the team dynamic. And, to agree with naonak, he was beginning to sound like ben browder to me as well. Glad to hear that he will make some sort of an appearence in Season 4. What that will be I have no idea.
            And the nebulan, and for that matter Grant, surprised me alittle. I completly agree with their descsion to keep it with "it is your own free-will" which leads me to be surprised about Grant wanting more. I mean, I can understand wanting a heads up on the situation. But, the nebulan were just taking a risk even talking. And this is the way I also look at it, the nebulan have been big help just letting us know about the sentinels and their threat. Glad you are not following the Vorlon/Shadow style of combat from B-5 as far as this is concerned. If they gave us no idea about anything to do with the book, and the sentinel connection, the Enoly, or Cai'nan, or kih' Andari, or any one of the thousands of nemmesis facing Horizon would have found it, easily perhaps.
            And with the whole security thing, way to light. Here's my idea. A fully armed Human/Vorian company, with 50 cal machine guns and Vorian heavy weapons in support. If they got past that, tripple layered force fields. If they got past that, transporter system designed to beam the perp far enough away from the station where he/she/they could be blown up with a small thermo neceular device.
            And the end of the episode did feel 24 ish. As far as all that happened this season was resolved, then moving on to set up for next year.
            Also really looking forward to S-4, whenever I get around to reading it.

Comment

Ok, here goes the short one

What a load of action!! I could imagine the CGI-Staff working hard to make all that impressive scenes of the battles and the final working on Nossy. Like Homer Simpson himself could say: *glglglglgllglg*

I thing the development of Sivea is very positive and the surprises of Adari and some other characters... well, I never couldn't expect those ones really.

The only thing that doesn't match 100% for me is the situation with the Book in the Lab. Knowing the transportation devices the enemy can use... well. Doesn't look a hell of a security detail those two SF. Maybe a little more precautions would be... reasonable.

The John/Sivea affair looks twisty and promising indeed.

And the final surprise at the meeting between Adari, Vahret and the press... well, I could think only: "More crap over all of them... interesting turn that syndicate!"

A complicated scheme have you in hands guys: who are the bad guys after all? and the really really bad ones?? and the "OMG what a bunch of mother f..." ones????? LoL

Only one more thing: nice job there, with all the eps. Thanks for all the team!

sigpic
              ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
              - That's a lie!!!
              - Indeed it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post
                The John/Sivea affair looks twisty and promising indeed.
                Yup. This will be further explored in Season Four. We were just talking about some things the other day.

And the final surprise at the meeting between Adari, Vahret and the press... well, I could think only: "More crap over all of them... interesting turn that syndicate!"
                We'll be seeing more of the syndicate in... "The Syndicate."

A complicated scheme have you in hands guys: who are the bad guys after all? and the really really bad ones?? and the "OMG what a bunch of mother f..." ones????? LoL

Only one more thing: nice job there, with all the eps. Thanks for all the team!

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

What you said about it being a complicated scheme couldn't be more true. One of the things we always aim to do is to not have things be too simple with regards to who's good and who's evil. There's always that shade of grey, which I think adds a nice layer to everything.

You definitely got finished right on time. The Season Four premiere is now only hours away!

Comment

I'm really curious to read on and remember just how the Syndicate play out. From this episode, they'd been working with the rogues so let's see how that connection works out. Same again with how Chase ends up where he ends up - I can't fully remember that so I'll read on.

Some cool battles in this episode and also plenty of cool character interactions. Was good.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

That's great to hear! I'm glad you liked it, and I also appreciate all of the comments on the re-reads! Looking forward to seeing what you think once you re-read the next episodes!

Comment

Working...
                    X