Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE TRUTH: Why Is Torri Higginson Really Leaving?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE TRUTH: Why Is Torri Higginson Really Leaving?

Its been talked enough though different threads and not condensed into one.

Let's sort out the rumors and get the facts.
    • Why is Torri Higginson really leaving?
    • What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving?
    • Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave?
    • Was Torri forced off the show?
    • Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving?
    • What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4?
    • How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro?

When posting/replying, please provide source links to the interview and/or the person's name & job description/title from your source.

Please no character, personal, or actor/ess bashing.

"The Truth Is Out There"

So, let's get to it...
    Once a MARINE, Always a MARINE

God Bless, Protect, and Speed,

Robert Emmett Stephen Doyle IX

Irish by ancestry, American by birth, but MARINE by the grace of God.
    Fortitudine Vincit, In Deo Speramus, Semper Fidelis

SEMPERTOONS: http://www.sempertoons.com/
    SEMPERTOONS Store: www.cafepress.com/sempertoons

* Why is Torri Higginson really leaving? - The writers basically stated 'changes needed to be made', Weir was one of those changes
    * What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving? - No-one knows
    * Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave? - She's been unhappy with the writing (Stargate official mag, latest ed)
    * Was Torri forced off the show? - She was given the option to stay in a limited capacity, so technically no, but since she stayed on for a few eps this year it indicates she'd have preferred to stay for a full season.
    * Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving? Before - it was a two year contract, signed at the start of s10
    * What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4? - Recurring; Four episodes so far
    * How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro? Show into as either 'guest starring' or 'special guest appearance'.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
      * Why is Torri Higginson really leaving? - The writers basically stated 'changes needed to be made', Weir was one of those changes
      * What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving? - No-one knows
      * Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave? - She's been unhappy with the writing (Stargate official mag, latest ed)
      * Was Torri forced off the show? - She was given the option to stay in a limited capacity, so technically no, but since she stayed on for a few eps this year it indicates she'd have preferred to stay for a full season.
      * Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving? Before - it was a two year contract, signed at the start of s10
      * What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4? - Recurring; Four episodes so far
      * How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro? Show into as either 'guest starring' or 'special guest appearance'.
      thank you for that..those are the facts as how i understood them too
      Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
      ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
      Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by LoneReconEagle View Post
        Its been talked enough though different threads and not condensed into one.

Let's sort out the rumors and get the facts.
        • Why is Torri Higginson really leaving?
        • What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving?
        • Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave?
        • Was Torri forced off the show?
        • Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving?
        • What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4?
        • How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro?

When posting/replying, please provide source links to the interview and/or the person's name & job description/title from your source.
        Please no character, personal, or actor/ess bashing.

"The Truth Is Out There"

So, let's get to it...
        I'd just like to say, I made an effort to follow your request as to where the information came from, I doubt I need to list the title and role. The only questionable source since I never saw the interview---since I don't purchase the stargate mag myself, is Killdeer's post. But I doubt he'd quote incorrectly something that could easily be verified, so I accepted it as the truth. As for the links for JM's blog, you can look it up yourself, not too hard. It would take ages to get those link, when all you have to do is press on April or any respective month and click the find button under the Edit listing next to File, and find all posts. Or just click on the month an scroll down to the date. Hence the reason I listed the date to find the post if not the link.

[*]Why is Torri Higginson really leaving?
        [a] There is nothing to say she is actually leaving. All the information is thrown here or there. The role is put down to recurring, but we have no solid proof as to why.
        Proof of Recurring status and really not knowing the extent of why she is recurring.

JM's Blog:
        April 11, 2007
        Anonymous #1 writes: “ Gee. I remember a bunch of people telling you they'd heard Torri was going to be in four episodes, and you ridiculed them. Looks like they were right all along. Their sources must be good.”

Answer: Given the law of averages, everyone eventually gets it right with a little luck - or in this case the proper timing. Last month, when rumors were flying that Weir would be appearing in four episodes, she had actually only been signed for three. Imagine if I’d made that announcement then? The fourth episode became a reality a couple of weeks ago after I pitched Torri the story and she agreed to come back do it. So, for now, four episodes as of the officially done deal - which closed yesterday.
        [*]What is/are the real reason(s) Torri is leaving?
        [b]Again, she is recurring, if that means leaving, I didn't know. If the question is why she is put to recurring no one knows since there has been no formal announcement as to why. TH did make a statement which you can find quoted by Killdeer from a stargatemag he didn't mention the issue date, but either it was June or July.
        Here are his posts:
        1. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=170
        2. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=171
        This should give some input for D.

[*]Did Torri at anypoint mention unhappiness or hinted she wanted to leave?
        [c]Before the statement above? Not that I know of. Apparently she claims dissatisfaction with her characterization, rather than wanting to leave.

[*]Was Torri forced off the show?
        [d]Doubtful---her statement which I listed in B states that she was aware that changes were to be made, but was awaiting an answer. Gave me the impression anyone of the character players could have gone.

[*]Was Amanda Tapping's contract signed before or after Torri's announcement for leaving?
        [e] I have no idea about the contract but I can say that JM said continuous times on the blog that the decision of Weir was made long before Carter was asked to join.

JM's Blog:
        1. April 29, 2007
        Anonymous #5 writes: “So you have no problem with an equally capabale (or possibly more capable) actress being out of work so TPTB can keep their golden child in the franchise?”

Answer: I’ve already made it perfectly clear that the decision to bring Carter aboard was in no way connected to the decision regarding Weir. Nevertheless, feel free to cling to whatever wild, unsubstantiated theory makes you feel all warm, tingly and, oh yeah, superior.
        2. March 8, 2007
        Foolishpleasure writes: “If SG1 had been renewed, what would have happened to Carter? […]Would Weir still be a reg on SGA, or would she have been dumped no matter what?”

Answer: Re: Carter - not sure. Re: Weir - we would have made the same decision.
        3. March 7, 2007
        NightSpring writes: “Carter's a done deal. […] On the other hand, we could possibly handle that if we weren't also losing Torri. Why is there not room for both of them to do 14 or so episodes??”

Answer: At the risk of repeating myself, it’s not an either or situation. The addition of Carter wasn’t the reason we decided to take Weir in a new direction.
        4. March 5, 2007
        Anonymous #3 writes: “Don't you feel like you're selling out the Atlantis fans to make people who watched SG1 happy?”

Answer: Not at all. As I stated in a previous entry, the decision on the Weir character was made BEFORE the decision to bring in Carter. If it hadn’t been Carter, it would have been someone else.
        [*]What is Torri's episode contract for Season 4?
        [f] Look at Answer A for a snippet on the details of Torri's contract. And currently it is remaining at 4, until/if JM makes a new announcement once all the eps of the season are written and cleared.

[*]How will Torri's name appear in the credits, during the theme or show intro?
        [G] For the last detail I'm not certain, but I will use logical deduction. I guess she'd be listed the same as a guest star, since she's no longer a regular. Directly after they list the title of the episode---as they did for Rainbow Sun Francks in Lost Boys/The Hive--so it would be Torri Higginson, then David Nykl and Kavan Smith then anyone else who shows up the ep. It seems it's done in alphabetical order if you watch any of the eps. So she might come second if there is another guest star who has a last name that begins with a letter before H. There is no special title like "Guest Star" given, just the name listed after the title.
        Last edited by vaberella; 19 May 2007, 04:42 PM.
        Click statement above to read article.

Comment

can jm be trusted? i personally wouldn't trust anything he says in that blog as truth. Sure some things are but i can't see as all being facts.
          Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Do you have any evidence pointing to him NOT telling the truth?

I mean, you're free to think he's lying, but you should be able to, say, point out past instances when that has happened. I'm willing to trust him because I've never seen him purposefully lie about the show.

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
              can jm be trusted? i personally wouldn't trust anything he says in that blog as truth. Sure some things are but i can't see as all being facts.
              Why would he need to lie?

It doesn't make any bit of difference to him. He's shown before that he can take stick & doesn't mind offending people with his comments.

He's plainly said that PM won't be getting his 3rd episode as was originally planned. He's also stated Ford won't be appearing in S4, even saying that he maybe is dead.

If he was trying to keep everyone sweet, then he wouldn't have peeved off the Beckett fans by specifically saying he won't be getting his 3rd ep.The same to the Ford fans knowing that it'll be at leeast S5 (if ever) they get to see him back on the show again. If he wanted to keep everyone sweet for the time being, why not simply say that he can't comment & you'll need to wait & see for yourselves. Just like he did when asked about Teyla's pregnancy arc etc.

Again he has nothing to lose. People that read his blog, people that come here are only a few 1000. Internet fandom make up a small fraction of the overall Stargate viewership.

Comment

He's the show runner and further more, never have I had the displeasure of having him lie to me. Lastly I doubt he'd lie since people would call him out on it. You, sueKay, Killdeer, PG15, TH, myself and anyone else who doesn't know the "real" bureaucratic goings on cannot be trusted when we say something. He on the other hand...he has access to those details. So if he gives us a bit of information, I'm bound to agree that it's confirmation--since I can't prove otherwise.
                Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Do you have any evidence pointing to him NOT telling the truth?

I mean, you're free to think he's lying, but you should be able to, say, point out past instances when that has happened. I'm willing to trust him because I've never seen him purposefully lie about the show.
                  no but alot of what he has said is not exact clear and cut and lot of people are jumping to conclusions. As well as he doesn't want to give it all away, i wouldn't put it past him to throw out a few red herrings. that is all
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Ok yeah, that's one thing JM excels at (the being-vague thing). However, most of what he said that has been used as evidence has been pretty straightforward.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's a far more reliable source of information that a fan is. Especially fans that are already biased in their dislike for the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                        I'm pretty sure he's a far more reliable source of information that a fan is. Especially fans that are already biased in their dislike for the changes.
                        ahhh yes thanks for making it personal, i suppose pro fans are completely unbiast right
                        Spoiler:

Comment

ahhh yes thanks for making it personal, i suppose pro fans are completely unbiast right
                          Nup, but then again the 'pro fans' aren't coming up with massive conspiracy theories on why something is happening. And what's so personal about it? That I'm not convinced at all by a clearly biased fan's views of what's really going on? It's exactly the same thing that happened in the anti-season 10 thread, which I have exactly the same opinion about.

ps. you need to shake this 'us vs them' mentality you've got going on. As far as I can see the only people perpetuating it are... yourselves.

Comment

Nup, but then again the 'pro fans' aren't coming up with massive conspiracy theories on why something is happening. And what's so personal about it? That I'm not convinced at all by a clearly biased fan's views of what's really going on? It's exactly the same thing that happened in the anti-season 10 thread, which I have exactly the same opinion about.

ps. you need to shake this 'us vs them' mentality you've got going on. As far as I can see the only people perpetuating it are... yourselves.

Oh yeah thats rich!
                            best laugh i've had all day, i won't even bother refuting that its so full of baloney hehe

man there are so many fallacies there i wouldn't know where to start LMAO
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Hmmm...I don't know quite what to think about the insider info from Joe M. and other PTBs. Showrunners are representatives of the show and their job is to "sell" the show. That often means putting a positive spin on news, leaving out or trivializing negative news, or not giving the whole story. They're very similar to politicians or PR agents for companies. Sometimes it can be hard to sift out what's true, what's not, and what's deliberately vague or twisted around to serve their interests. In other words, I take almost everything TPTB say about controversial show decisions/changes with a grain of salt. Not dismissing it outright, but not taking everything they say as the full and complete truth either.

Look at this recent event with BSG - Olmos and Sackhoff were both reported to have said that s4 was going to be the last at a recent event, and Eick (the producer) immediately released a "maybe it is, maybe it isn't, Olmos has said this sort of stuff before (even though he hasn't)" kind of statement. Eick thought it was important enough to not confirm this negative news. So did he lie? Uncertain. Did he obfuscate the situation to make things seem not as negative and/or dire? Absolutely. Do I think that the Stargate PTB do this as needed when things get sticky? Yep.

Untrue.

Comment

Working...
                              X