X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cad Drawing of a 304?

Hey first post ever.

Anyway, I am looking for a detailed cad drawing of a 304, or really any stargate ship.(except the hive, I think it would be prone to breakage.) I was commenting on the lack of model kits when I was reminded that my uncle has a 3d printer.

The only thing holding me back is my lack of accurate cad files I can make the parts for the model. Hopefully I can cast some molds and make my own resin model. A mini atlantis would make a pretty cool snow globe.

It's a dream right now, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dunno who you could ask, but I know some of the wallpaper artists at thescifiworld.net use renderings in their work...whether or not they're made using CAD I don't know.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfeborne View Post
      Hey first post ever.

Anyway, I am looking for a detailed cad drawing of a 304, or really any stargate ship.(except the hive, I think it would be prone to breakage.) I was commenting on the lack of model kits when I was reminded that my uncle has a 3d printer.

The only thing holding me back is my lack of accurate cad files I can make the parts for the model. Hopefully I can cast some molds and make my own resin model. A mini atlantis would make a pretty cool snow globe.

It's a dream right now, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
      http://www.chevron26.com/
      Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

You can probably get a 3DS Max model easier, it's exportable to CAD.

Comment

3D printers, dont just the prints themselves cost somewhere like 400 - 600 bucks?

I know I always wanted to get my hands on one of those machines, but they cost like 3,000 - 5,000
          Visit my Website

Comment

my schools got about 6 of em lol

Comment

3D printers are expensive, depending on the material you use. A friend of mine made a lightsabre in resin that cost £1000! he recently made a ship that would have cost at least £6000 for the amount of resin he used! plaster is cheaper but brittle. if you use a 3D printer and print in plaster I would recommend making a silicone mold and casting in fast cast resin. but then you would have to sand the model to remove the texture of the plaster.(even then depending on the size of the model I would say it would cost at least £50-£200) not including the price of the silicone and resin. Fast cast resin sets in about 10 minutes and 2kg costs about £25, silicone depending on the type can cost between £12-£25 per kg.

The 304 is made of mostly flat pieces so its probably easier to make in ABS or styrene, I would use ABS as its much stronger, it can all be stuck together with plasticweld. ABS makes fitting lights easier as its thin (2mm is more than strong enough for a 304) it can be drilled and LEDs or whatever you plan to use can be fitted and glued from the inside.

The engines (and other round pieces)can be turned on a lathe and then cast in resin. All much cheaper than a 3D printer and you get that nice hand made look CAD models are too perfect, they dont look right in my opinion!
              Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 19 May 2007, 12:21 PM.

Comment

DIY printer

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/candyfab

All ya need is lots a sugar!

Comment

Sorry for replying late, real life sucks. Already have the 3d printer and printing is not that expensive. There are many types of printers some cost a fortune for prototypes, others not so much.

I have thought hard about how to do this. Just printing the ship and making the mold is not the best way to do it. Since the the 304 is angular, I print individual panels and then assemble.

I figure the initial cost for printing the panels is about $50 US. Already have the machine and I get deals on material cost. $25 US and my time to cast, and depending on which material for final and how detailed i want to go on paint maybe another $75. All together not a bad price for a one of a kind.

The small altantis would have to be designed to be printed and printed whole. PJ is also super easy maybe ten parts including interior. Figure I'll make the upper hull out of a bendable material. That way I can cast it flat and then work a curve into it.

I just really need renderings so I can start working on this.

Edit: I'm not really worried about the look. I've seen amazing details hold, if they are present in the drawing. Painting will add the greatest detail. I can make a pipe into a tree and a tree into a pipe with the right paint.
                  Last edited by Wolfeborne; 22 May 2007, 07:41 AM. Reason: adding thought

Comment

What method of RP does your machine do? FDM, Laser sintering etc? Also what material will the prtotype be made from. Not sure if you have sketchup but I put up a model of my 304 in the google 3D warehouse. You could use that if you want. It not 100% done but itll give you a good start.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...&prevstart=132

You can export it as a dxf,dwg or 3ds file then from there into an STL with AutoCAD, inventor or whatever software you use.

-James-

Comment

http://www.stargate3d.fsnet.co.uk/ ask this guy

Comment

Working...
                      X