This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Peter Cushing Films Discussion Thread

Yes I know they aren't cannon but hey this is the Doctor Who discussion area. So...

Dr. Who And The Daleks (1965)

Imagine this for a moment will you? It's 1965 and the TV serial Doctor Who is among the popular things there is around. Not only is the Doctor a hit but so is his arch-nemesis (at least for the moment) the Daleks. Now forget most of the things from the serial and put Peter Cushing into it and turn it into one of the most psychedelic films ever made. Now if you can imagine doing all that then this film is for you.

Before I go any further let me warn die-hard Doctor Who serial fans. This might not appeal to you. As I warned above a lot (and I mean a lot) of the basics of the serials have been changed. The Doctor isn't a time traveling alien but instead an eccentric and elderly scientist named what else but Doctor Who. Of course there a lot of other changes including ones involving the granddaughters, Ian, the Daleks, etc. etc. In short: this is not cannon and isn't meant to be. If you're looking for canonical Doctor Who stories then stay away from this film and its sequel. You're likely to be either upset, disappointed, or both.

Now on to the rest of you:

Simply described this film is one of those fun low-budget sci-fi adventure movies. Peter Cushing is, as I wrote above, an elderly scientist who invents the TARDIS (which for those of you who aren't fans means "Time And Relative Demnsion In Space" and looks like a police box but that's me just showing off so moving on). Cushing is a lot warmer then William Hartnell (the first TV Doctor) but I'll try not to make too many companions. His Doctor is a warm, gentle, curious, and even fatherly figure throughout the film. While I find little wrong with Cushing, die hard fans will I'm sure. This is a Doctor unlike any other and whether you like him or not depends on how much of a fan of the TV serials you are.

The cast is pretty good. Jennie Linden and Roberta Tovey play the Doctor's granddaughters with everything you come to expect from their roles in other sci-fi films so really there's nothing special in them. Roy Castle steals the film though. His Ian is nothing like the TV version. This one plays almost purely for laughs as the novice on this journey. He is also the frequent and campy comic relief of the film. Although I'm not much of a fan of campy elements I'll admit that the film really works because of Castle and does so to the point of occasional upstaging even Cushing.

Then there are the Daleks. The filmmakers took full advantage of a color film and the consequence of that is the full color Daleks. This is another area where camp takes over. While the Daleks are menacing with the electronic voices and claws, the bright colors and flashing lights when they talk remove much of that menace. The jets of steam (or whatever) it is they shot out doesn't help much either but it is an improvement over the effects on the early TV serial. But I defy anyone to tell me that the first scene featuring the Daleks is anything but tense.

And there are the Thals. This is one place where things just don't work. Many of these kinds of films work because they do take some seriousness in them. But when you see a Thal in a bad blond wig with gold skin and yellow outfits it is hard to take it seriously. This is perhaps the one spot where the camp elements of the film just go way too far. Yes they are necessary to the film and yet they are hindering as well.

Outside of the cast the film is psychedelic to say the very least. While this was low budget it seems that every last piece of money was somehow put up on screen. Once we leave the confines of the Doctor's house and garden the film is filled with greens and blues throughout. There are moments when the color seems to overwhelm everything and when there is a brief black and white moment its an almost welcome relief). The special effects are good for there time and depending on one's opinions regrading special effects stand up moderately well today. The music only adds to the psychedelic atmosphere of the film.

So depending on your level of fan regarding Doctor Who, you may or may not like this movie. It is not as serious as the serials in any size, shape, or for that matter form. Really its more like Doctor Who (the classic TV serials) meets the campy 1960's Batman TV series. Or like trying to compare that series to the recent Batman Begins or the Tim Burton movies. But enough on that analogy. Either way you view it this film is a campy take on a sci-fi classic.

My Rating: 6/10

Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (1966)

So what happens when you take an episode of a classic science fiction series (Doctor Who: The Dalek Invasion Of Earth) and decide to remake it as the sequel to one of the campiest films of all time (Dr. Who And The Daleks)? The answer is Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. And despite everything it had going for it it is one of the dullest films I have ever seen.

Peter Cushing returns as the elderly and eccentric human scientist. There is virtually nothing new in terms of performance from Cushing and he lacks everything that made him so watchable in the first film. Not to mention he virtually vanishes during the middle of the film. And all he really does his just stand around and give orders during the time he is on screen. In short he is dull. And incredibly dull to say the least.

The rest of the cast isn't much help. Bernard Cribbins adds nothing to the film as policeman Tom Campbell and seems a poor substitute for the Roy Castle character of Ian. The same can be said of Jill Curzon's Louise who seems to substitute for Barbara. The only cast member who seems to live up to expectation is Roberta Tovey as the little girl Susan. And when the little girl is the best one in the movie, you know you've got problems.

The rest of the film doesn't help. The story is a remake of the classic Doctor Who serial "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth" just as the first film was a remake of "The Daleks". But while that serial featured all the classic dark elements that made it a thinly disguised Nazi invasion story, this film throws most of it out.

For example, in the middle of the film when Tom is trapped aboard the spaceship and is forced to disguise himself as a Roboman. Instead of a tension sequence we get a Keystone Cops style sequence. The sequence where the Dalek comes out of the Thames (taken right out of the serial) is ruined by poor production values.

The production values seem worse then the original, despite the fact that this film had a bigger budget. The ending in particular seems to show just how cheap this film really was. The question seems to be where did all the money go? I mean that it is hard to find any good special effects in this film. And that's saying a lot.

In virtually every respect, this is a poor film. From lackluster performances to poor visual effects, the film is hurt even more by a script that seems to be more interested in camp then in trying to be serious. This isn't a film that many people can either or enjoy. I especially don't recommend it for any serious fan of the TV serials. You ARE going to be very disappointed.

My Rating: 3/10

timdalton007

Tbh I had three major issues with these films.

1) The doctor was a human inventor who made a ship called "Tardis" (not the TARDIS), and Barbra was another granddaughter...

2) The campy acting from the police officer in the second film.

3) Cushing does not play a good doctor.

It's a shame, because the idea of remaking one of the first Who eps for the big screen us great. It would have been much better if they'd have made it canon.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Here's some more pics.

I've never seen these movies, but I am interested to see how the doctor and the daleks are protrayed. Especially in this early era of the Doctor Who franchise.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
        Here's some more pics.

I've never seen these movies, but I am interested to see how the doctor and the daleks are protrayed. Especially in this early era of the Doctor Who franchise.
        Badly. Believe me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Badly. Believe me.
          Heehee, even adding glorious techno colour didn't save these films. I think as pure trash they are watchable but if you are after good stories that make sense, and have any ideas about the need to use canon.... Avoid these.

Red and Blue Daleks.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
            Heehee, even adding glorious techno colour didn't save these films. I think as pure trash they are watchable but if you are after good stories that make sense, and have any ideas about the need to use canon.... Avoid these.

Red and Blue Daleks.
            My biggest problem (aside from the horrific mistake of making the Doctor human, and calling him "Doctor Who"), is Cushing's acting. I'm sorry, but I have no idea how the man was supposedly a legendary horror actor. He's terrible. He plays the character like a Worther's Original grandfather, not a timelord. Oh wait.. he's not SUPPOSED to be a timelord in this is he?

Point is, the guy is bland. Totally bland and lacks the spark that even William Hartnell had.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X