This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no vehicles?

Just out of curiosity, I looked up stargate infinity on youtube and noticed on the intro that they are using vehicles. Why doesn't the SGC ever use vehicles like ATVs when offworld?
    sigpic

How would they get them into the gateroom? The doors are too small, unless they take them apart outside the mountain, take them in the elevator down 28 floors and reassemble them in the gateroom. Its just not practical!!

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
      Just out of curiosity, I looked up stargate infinity on youtube and noticed on the intro that they are using vehicles. Why doesn't the SGC ever use vehicles like ATVs when offworld?
      They wouldn't be able to fit into the Embarkation Room. Who cares about Stargate: Infinity anyways? its not canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        How would they get them into the gateroom? The doors are too small, unless they take them apart outside the mountain, take them in the elevator down 28 floors and reassemble them in the gateroom. Its just not practical!!
        Beam them down via the Odysse.

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
        They wouldn't be able to fit into the Embarkation Room. Who cares about Stargate: Infinity anyways? its not canon.
        Sure they would , an ATV isn't much bigger than the FRED, and the gate is at least 6 meters wide, even an M1A2 would fit through it.

The gate looks way smaller in the series, so I guess the gateroom looks equally small.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
          Beam them down via the Odysse.

Sure they would , an ATV isn't much bigger than the FRED, and the gate is at least 6 meters wide, even an M1A2 would fit through it.

The gate looks way smaller in the series, so I guess the gateroom looks equally small.
          It would be so much trouble to get it into the "Gateroom" to be able to do it regularly. The only way I see them getting an ATV into there is through the tunnel that leads directly into the surface. Its wishful thinking they would never even try it. The MALP cars are fine.

Comment

They could use viehicles but when you are doing recon on worlds that may not even know what a vehicle was and your not going to be going miles and miles away from the gate if they was doing siege missions maybe if they had another time to plan they would use vehicles It would be cool to see a large fight with ATVs in the battle
            sigpic
            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
            Metal gear fan

Comment

maybe there isn't any room for ATVs in the show's budget. There are a number of recon vehicles that is emplotyed by the military. Most are never shown on the show.

The latest gadgets include remote control model airplanes with cameras.

The show could also employ the ATVs and motorcycles-(dirt bikes).
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Good question! Depending on the mission, vehicles and some borrowed PJs from Atlantis could be quite useful indeed. My memory fails me right now, but didn't SGC undergo some sort of adaptation recently to accept one or two PJs because of the intergalactic gate bridge? Couldn't something similar be done regarding ground vehicles? The best solution, of course, would be moving the Stargate to another place. Now, if the US/Earth start building PJ-like ships, ground vehicles would obviously make no sense.
                sigpic

Comment

Because TPTB dont know how to let the SG teams travel in style.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

I suppose they could beam something from inside the base through the Stargate to the other side.
                    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                    Caboose: They could be worse?
                    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                      Because TPTB dont know how to let the SG teams travel in style.

mean something like this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Cooper
                      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                        It would be so much trouble to get it into the "Gateroom" to be able to do it regularly. The only way I see them getting an ATV into there is through the tunnel that leads directly into the surface. Its wishful thinking they would never even try it. The MALP cars are fine.
                        It would be like, beam it up and beam it down

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                          Nah, it should be something like Argo from Star Trek Nemesis:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                            Heh, I can see it now - O'Neill, Teal'c, Sam and Daniel all scrunched up in the mini as they're about to launch themselves through the gate.

O'Neill: "Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea. Uh...uh..."

I used to wonder why vehicles were never used - apart from the MALP - I mean. I would liked to have seen some form of armour being used to support SG teams in off world missions. But, I see how it would've been impractical like the posters had stated above - imagine the hassle of trying to get a hulking great M1 Abrams battle tank through the stargate? Damn thing would probably end up wedged in at the sides.
                            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Well if they got a jumper in the gateroom (It's good to be King, Moebius, etc.), surely something like this should be able to fit in it. Could be an advantage, coolness guaranteed. Maybe in the movies?
                              Last edited by Forseti (a.k.a. Thor's lawyer); 11 May 2007, 03:43 PM.
                              Et populus improbos in divino iudicio vestro tradibit,
                              ubi pecamina illorum in pondera pendibuntur
                              cum omnibus iustis ac veris. – E Libro Originis

Comment

Working...
                              X