This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
    hmm. actually that's not entirely true, Kavanaugh did have a valid point but the reason Weir criticised him was because he was wasting time and impeding the team from searching solutions, he was clearly more interested in his ego than saving those people.
    instead of trying to help like Zalenka he just said there isn't time and tried to step on their ideas because he couldn't stand the possibility that someone else from his team would beat him to a solution.
    it's true that the way Weir handled it was disrespecting but on the other hand it wasn't uncalled for, she could have done with "concentrate on a solution" remark.

you're right about that, Shep undermined Weir just like Weir undermined Kavanaugh, but the difference being Shep is beneath Weir in the chain of command while Weir is above Kavanaugh.
    if Weir feels Kavanaugh is failing his responsibility she can relieve him, but Shep was overtly disobeying a direct order which is far more grave.
    Agree with everything you said. Thats exactly how I felt about the Kavanaugh situation in 38 minutes. As to the hot zone situation I also agree he openly disobeyed his supperior, and while his solution turned out to be correct he shouldnt have done that.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Oh difficult

My favourite? I like John Sheppard, but also Ronan & McKay, as Ronan is still a mystery, and McKay because he is smart, I like smart, which leads me back to John, as he has an air of mystery and we know he is smart.

Least favourite? Lucius, definately, as I think those two episodes were the worst of season three, also I am not sure of Carter, I was not a big fan of hers in SG1, so I guess I am not going to be a fan of her in SGA.

Comment

I like Rodney most. He is very good character. Authors can´t write characters too much. Rodney is, but partly thanks David Hewlett´s acting.

My least favorite would be Teyla. I never got into her character. And even not in S1 when they didn´t "kill" her character like in S2 and 3. I think they wanted her to be a diplomat, warrior, leader...now she is just a shadow. I know, it´s not Rachel´s fault, they can´t write it for her...but, I didn´t like the "we need some sexy-alien Amazon in lead team" from the beginning.
        Then it would be Lucius, from guests. Well, he would be my first choice but I think that I can´t say he is full character since he was only in 2 episodes. And thanks god for that. If I should see this guy again, I would probably throw my computer out of the window

Just quick observation. In both favorite/least favorite have Teyla and Weir enough points. I guess those two are love/hate characters more than McKay for example. Rodney has (so far) four points as least favorite and something over thirty as favorite. Which is good. I didn´t like the "too much McKay" opinions bc I am his fan.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

hmm. actually that's not entirely true, Kavanaugh did have a valid point but the reason Weir criticised him was because he was wasting time and impeding the team from searching solutions, he was clearly more interested in his ego than saving those people.
          How did Weir know he was wasting time - was she an expert on the problem they were trying to solve. All I saw was him trying to offer up solutions and also stating problems that could arise and she slapped him down. How was he impeding the team . They all seemed to be offering up solutions and ideas and at the time no one knew exactly how to solve the problem. She singled him out and had a go because she assumed he was more worried about his own ego - but it never came across like that to me. If he was so usless as she implied wasn't it strange that he ended up saving them and I didnt see him get a mention then. IMO her actions to him were uncalled for and very unprofessional , maybe he was a bit of a jerk and lacked in social skills but then McKay could be accused of the same thing at times.

instead of trying to help like Zalenka he just said there isn't time and tried to step on their ideas because he couldn't stand the possibility that someone else from his team would beat him to a solution.
          How can we assume this - again all he was doing was trying to come up with a solution just like everyone else and if it was a possibility that the gateroom could explode what is wrong with pointing that out?.

it's true that the way Weir handled it was disrespecting but on the other hand it wasn't uncalled for, she could have done with "concentrate on a solution" remark.
          Again I thought it was completely uncalled for as she had no idea if his solutions were in fact the correct ones. She picked him for the job - why should she doubt him and not expect him to be up to the task..

you're right about that, Shep undermined Weir just like Weir undermined Kavanaugh, but the difference being Shep is beneath Weir in the chain of command while Weir is above Kavanaugh.
          if Weir feels Kavanaugh is failing his responsibility she can relieve him, but Shep was overtly disobeying a direct order which is far more grave.
          Weir jumped to the conclusion that Sheppard wasn't going to be of any help and ordered him to stay in his room while again it turned out that he was the one to save the day. She didn't have faith in the head of the military command, the same way she doubted that Kavanaugh was actually trying to help in 38 minutes and not trying to hinder anything.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
            Just quick observation. In both favorite/least favorite have Teyla and Weir enough points. I guess those two are love/hate characters more than McKay for example. Rodney has (so far) four points as least favorite and something over thirty as favorite. Which is good. I didn´t like the "too much McKay" opinions bc I am his fan.
            Could also be a female-fan-thing. Lots of females tend to choose the guys over the girls.

I don't know, just speculating here since I know there's lots of females that do like Teyla and Elizabeth, including myself. Although, I should exlude myself since I don't have much interest in the male population anyway.

And yes, the 'too much Rodney' still stands in my world. And I don't even dislike Rodney.

Edit:Oops, I forgot we couldn't discuss anything. *hides*
            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 14 May 2007, 01:49 PM.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

favorite - Zelenka
              least favorite - Teyla
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                Weir jumped to the conclusion that Sheppard wasn't going to be of any help and ordered him to stay in his room while again it turned out that he was the one to save the day. She didn't have faith in the head of the military command, the same way she doubted that Kavanaugh was actually trying to help in 38 minutes and not trying to hinder anything.
                If I remember correctly, Sheppard and Teyla breaking quarantine allowed the infected scientist they were trying to contain to escape to the mess hall . . . which in turn infected even more people with the nanovirus.

That was Shep, who had no real idea of what was going on, making a bad decision and having no faith in either Weir or even his own man, Bates, who was in the control room at the time. His order to Bates to break the quarantine made the situation worse, not better. When Weir gave him hell, even though I like Shep alot, I thought he deserved it . . . hell even Grodin had a small smirk on his face. LOL.

Of course, Shep saved the day in the end. But the same end could have been reached if he had stayed put until McKay figured it all out (as if there was any question) and then taken care of business. But then there would have been no drama and no suspense and no Shep saving the day and no scene at the end with Weir and Shep coming to terms . . . so blame TPTB.
                Last edited by nowvoyager908; 14 May 2007, 02:15 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                  How did Weir know he was wasting time - was she an expert on the problem they were trying to solve. All I saw was him trying to offer up solutions and also stating problems that could arise and she slapped him down. How was he impeding the team . They all seemed to be offering up solutions and ideas and at the time no one knew exactly how to solve the problem. She singled him out and had a go because she assumed he was more worried about his own ego - but it never came across like that to me. If he was so usless as she implied wasn't it strange that he ended up saving them and I didnt see him get a mention then. IMO her actions to him were uncalled for and very unprofessional , maybe he was a bit of a jerk and lacked in social skills but then McKay could be accused of the same thing at times.
                  I'm not a Weir fan, but I have to give her props for somewhat handling this. He was being a little Debbie Downer. He was shooting down every possible idea and not offering much of his own. I'm not against someone being negative and contrary, but when you only have thirty odd minutes to save people's lives, that attitude isn't very productive to the brainstorming process. In fact, I thought she was tame, something I have an issue with with all the SGA female "leaders". I would have nailed his butt to the wall. There is a time to be attentive, coddling, maternal, and patient, and then there are times when you just have to get the job done. She should have been a lot more tough. A male leader never would have tolerated that scene. O'Neill wouldn't. Caldwell never would have been patient and reassuring when he needed results. We've seen him bark at people to get the job done. Why should the women be any different? It's something I've never liked about the show. It seems the women have authority in name only.

Again I thought it was completely uncalled for as she had no idea if his solutions were in fact the correct ones. She picked him for the job - why should she doubt him and not expect him to be up to the task..
                  Because she's the boss. It's her decision to make. She can do that. Sometimes you get yelled at. Who hasn't had this happen? You suck it up and do your job. And, granted I haven't watched the ep in a while, so please forgive me, but what were his solutions? I remember him basically calling it quits. Seal the Gate and not risk an explosion. He didn't seem to offer a solution to get those people back alive. Anyone can sit there pouting, "that idea sucks!" It takes someone with inititive like Zelenka to rise above it and excel. Why should I feel sorry for Kavanaugh? Is he five years old? Does he need someone to hold his hand so he isn't 'picked on'? No, he's a man and a professional, or at least he should be.

She gave him an order, which again is within her rights. I don't like how whenever a female character in leadership makes a tough call or has to truly be commanding, so many people (and I'm not referring to the poster) have a problem. They want her to be compassionate, emotional, and understanding. If a male leader yelled at a subordinate, I don't think we'd see half the outcry Weir has received, justly or unjustly. Again, I'm not a Weir fan, but she showed a little of that international relations/business leadership ability I think she often lacks. A person with Weir's background shouldn't be a shrinking violet. I wish we saw more of this side of her on the show and not so much waving goodbye from the balcony.

Comment

So far noting I've said is untrue from your statements above, so where am I not entirely true. So you're saying, him pointing out the cons in which hundreds including the 4 in danger, could be killed, was not valid?! And so he was wasting time by stressing this fact and looking for another option or solution. Do you realize how that sounds like utter non-sense...right?! He's a scientist, and he's head of his division---Weir is incapable of even having an inkling of truly understanding what he and his people can. He felt his team was hankering on a supposed solution (which worked out for the best, fortunately) that was extremely dangerous to not only the 4 but also those on Atlantis. Once again a solution is not really a solution when things could get worse---and hence he said that was a bad idea and moving on, his team unfortunately weren't working towards something better---they kept stressing that one option. Weir comes in and then reams him and goes over his head.

So was Weir disrespectful...hell yes! Was what Weir did uncalled for? Oh hell yes. She was straight up rude and cut him to shreds for no reason. You've said nothing that changes that fact.

Actually you're wrong in this instance. John was in control of the base when Peterson was let loose and about to cause a problem along the base. He became a threat and he is in charge of safety of the crew---even when in the case of the loose scientist. So when he said he wanted out she was supposed to allow him to be released. She then was to relinquish orders in essence to his authority. Or that was what I thought was the case which was fairly reinforced in The Long Goodbye or Michael or even Irresistable. We know that John takes the helm in those instances and Weir must then give him that authority. Or his knowledge and expertise are useless to the expedition or it's safety on atlantis. Grodin couldn't hold the scientist back, and Weir apparently was differing to Grodin's advice. So then because Weir held John back longer, Peterson was able to infect all those in the cafeteria. Had John had a chance to get to Peterson earlier, the problem wouldn't have happened, well it would have but at least would have been forestalled for a long period of time.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe that John should have showed her a bit more respect, but I understand his frustration when he SHOULD be out there, especially since that guy couldn't be contained. As for Kavanaugh...again she had no right to publicly ream him as she did in front of his people, no matter how high she is. But then, I just have a problem when someone can't talk to another human being in a normal tone. In privacy do what you want.

When you do that in front of someone's team, who you chose because of his ability and his compentency; you got a whole hell of a lot of nerve.

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                    If I remember correctly, Sheppard and Teyla breaking quarantine allowed the infected scientist they were trying to contain to escape to the mess hall . . . which in turn infected even more people with the nanovirus.

That was Shep, who had no real idea of what was going on, making a bad decision and having no faith in either Weir or even his own man, Bates, who was in the control room at the time. His order to Bates to break the quarantine made the situation worse, not better. When Weir gave him hell, even though I like Shep alot, I thought he deserved it . . . hell even Grodin had a small smirk on his face. LOL.

Of course, Shep saved the day in the end. But the same end could have been reached if he had stayed put until McKay figured it all out (as if there was any question) and then taken care of business. But then there would have been no drama and no suspense and no Shep saving the day and no scene at the end with Weir and Shep coming to terms . . . so blame TPTB.
                    Incorrect, Grodin was in control of the master controls. Everyone pretty much gets locked in to block the infection "self-quarantine" on Weir's orders. Peterson was dismantling each of the doors one by one and getting closer to the control room where Weir was (and she was fully aware of this), and Peterson is a scientist who can break through the doors, which he proved to do sucessfully. John and Teyla during this time were actually in the gym still, so how is John to blame? John was not the one who caused anything. Peterson was on his way to the mess hall when he was killed and had pretty much infected the main area (apparently airborne virus) by the time John and Teyla arrived, causing the city to begin it's own failsafe---so Grodin lost control for a time.

John was far from the one to cause anything. If I have to look at it logically, she caused it to go on for too long. Although, I understand her reluctance because she didn't want to lose any more people and put a little too much hope in Beckett's ability. I wasn't too imipressed by the lie about the hazmat suits, but whatever. In any event John got the hazmat suit and tried to get rid of the guy as fast as he could. Really, Peterson was causing the problem from the beginning and although John undermined Weir---he was entitled to do that as he is head of the military in Atlantis and since he couldn't afford to get any other military infected and not enough hazmat suits to go around, and since also the other military that was infected had to stay behind---he took the chance and was sucessful.
                    -----------------------------------------------

In response to your last statement. I never made any qualms about Hot Zone...it was used as a comparison to my 38 Minutes problem, which I explained. This Hot Zone thing just expanded without my knowledge. I thought Hot Zone was fine and had no problems with any of the outcomes. Of course I can see where both John and Weir went wrong---but that's perfect for the first season drama and makes sense especially when two people who are in charge dont' know each other and one has to give a little to the other. I can say I believe in Hot Zone that Weir saw two things in John initially a man who has a strong ATA gene and therefore vital to her mission and second, based on his past experience with military authority probably a kindred spirit. I think in this instance, she realized that it wasn't about him having a problem with military authoriy, just authority. Further more, as acting military leader he supercedes her in instances such as the one exprienced in Hot Zone.

Overall, it was a great ep---and really I have no complaints. Again to go back to my original statement, which actually wasn't supposed to be responded too by mod regulations, this is to show how her treatment to someone else was undignified and showed badly on her personality as leader. Like she had some childhood grudge of some sort. And how that was again reflected by her subsequent disrespect from Shep later on.

Oh and yeah, I liked Kavanaugh and gave my reasons!!

By the way Grodin was a special favorite. RIP--Grodin!
                    Last edited by vaberella; 15 May 2007, 09:35 AM. Reason: Answering a few more statements.
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

If some of you want to hijack this thread and turn it into another WeirBashFest, why don't you take it to the "38 Minutes" and "Hot Zone" episode threads and spout your anti-Weir rhetoric over there? This thread isn't for deep analysis of those two episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                        If some of you want to hijack this thread and turn it into another WeirBashFest, why don't you take it to the "38 Minutes" and "Hot Zone" episode threads and spout your anti-Weir rhetoric over there? This thread isn't for deep analysis of those two episodes.
                        Are you a mod? Maybe you should call one, because I'd sooner listen to their comments. It was clearly stated by them for people not to respond to other's posts, but then MY POST was targeted for some strange reason. Is it because people have issues with what I say and can't understand the rules?! Probably.

In any event your post doesn't help the situation---if it's such a problem, you should call a mod, it's just a click away.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                          Are you a mod? Maybe you should call one, because I'd sooner listen to their comments. It was clearly stated by them for people not to respond to other's posts, but then MY POST was targeted for some strange reason. Is it because people have issues with what I say and can't understand the rules?! Probably.

In any event your post doesn't help the situation---if it's such a problem, you should call a mod, it's just a click away.
                          I don't think the mods will mind you responding to other peoples posts as long as nobody starts flaming. Opinions are no good unless theres somebody to contradict and discuss them.
                          Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

Comment

Warning - Anti-Weir post

As I said in the polls, The Favourite is a very fine line between Fatman and Ronon. Both have the exact same traint that is missing in all the other members. They are not backwards about coming forwards. Blunt and brutal at all times. I appreciate that in a person.

They are both uniquely cool!

Least, Weir and Ford. Both were about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

"Permission Granted/Good Luck". She could phone those lines in. Even Daniel translating ancient didnt include 5 minutes of pointless dialogue with Jack/Cam. He burst into the room, "I got it!" - and if he were not part of the team, you wouldnt need to see him again.

Ford + wraith enzyme = painful to watch. In all fairness, I liked Lt Ford much bette than Enzyme Ford - but he was still just a second string Shep.

Teyla is also useless - and just there because she looks good in a halter top - but with not having to write a pointless female lead, they could do a lot more with her.
                            : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                            : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Chaos View Post
                              I don't think the mods will mind you responding to other peoples posts as long as nobody starts flaming. Opinions are no good unless theres somebody to contradict and discuss them.
                              Check out the mod post on page 1.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              how about we try something with this

each person that wants to, state who you like, who you don't like

don't debate with others, don't argue, don't bash, don't be 'bad'

just state your likes/dislikes

respect others who state theirs

and let's see if this thread can last longer than a day without the mods having to come in and break up a fight

Some posters felt my views were up for debate, so I answered. I'm always up for a debate, since I totally agree that opinions are worthless without cause, well a logical cause that can spawn discussion.

Comment

so what happened to the no debate huh????

i'm closing the thread because i don't have time to clean it up. it may or may not be reopened...it depends on my mood
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X