As The Storm Rises... (321)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "As The Storm Rises..."

"As The Storm Rises..."
    Ep: 3.21
    Release Date: May 3, 2007
    Story by Mike Coakley
    Teleplay by Alex Rubit & Marc Broadbent

As the one person who could lead the Horizon team to the Book of Nosah'trah lies near death, Commander Callen receives disturbing news from President Adari.
    Outstanding
    42.86%
    Good
    35.71%
    Fair
    14.29%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    7.14%
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 02 May 2007, 10:55 PM.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Please Please Please do the early release now!!! I need something to read on lunch and I'm chomping at the bit here.

Comment

Okay, as you wish. Here it is.

The latest episode, titled "As The Storm Rises...", is now available. Just click on the following link:

http://uk.geocities.com/alex_stargat...torm_rises.pdf

Make sure to stop back here for comments and discussions after reading it.

Enjoy!

Comment

WoW!!! Very well done I like it. Things are really heating up nicely and to bad we have to wait another week to find out what happens next.

Comment

A balanced episode. It had its moments (The starting pace was really breath taking) but the large season finale arc is starting to feel a bit too long with yet another set-up episode.

Some things were a bit too predictable, like Bay'lar exploding (Felt a bit like Jack Bauer on 24, I wonder how Callen didn't saw that coming or allowed it to happen) and the guy that died (A classic redshirt)
          Plus the Enoly/Kih'andari plot took a backseat, and the Enoly crossing somehow the Kih'andari was another thing just waiting to happen.

Others were not: Vah'ret was a very good surprise (I could have bet on the long lost Sivok) but in hindsight Vah'ret was the obvious choice.
          So, a gold star prize for the whole season story arc and plots and a small scold for this episode's plots.

Finally the relations between some of the main characters are starting to show more overtly. In particular the relation between Grant and Sivea was very well handled (and that awkward moment with Bay'lar was priceless)

A good thing was learning of some of the consequences of the Valiant incident. Still, I think Grant should have been (at least)
          officially reprimanded (And if he was, a reference is needed somewhere)

And finally the "Chuck" moment.... I really like that character. Too bad his name (and being in the food service area) reminds me of "Chuck E. Cheese", but his interactions with the rest are gold.
          I think he needs a bit more background and maybe some skeletons haunting him, otherwise he'll end up being a 2D char.

BTW, where is Zach? News about Sivea, Bay'lar, the Vorian fleet, etc. make a good story, don't they? I know his appearance in reporter mode on this ep would have been wrong (considering the mood on Horizon), but he could have at least asked/commented on Sivea's status.

***1/4 (I'll take 1 * for each subsequent setup ep, enough is enough)

Comment

Right this better be the last set up episode. Really it enough already.

Now the bad callen, did not think he stupid enough to let Bay'lar go in hundred feet of the bentari prisoner, let alone on the same shuttle.

The episode was fast past at the beginning went down to snails paced.

Then the fact their was just to slow I think this ark is far to long.

Good things, the relationships showing up a bit more and the chuck restaurent moment.

And that about all I have to say

***1/2*

Now I am going to very disappointed if the next episode does not have a mother of all space battle in it and the two vorians fleet engage each other

And their is just constant action through out the entire episodes.

Comment

3.22 will finally kick the finale arc out of setup and into action. A lot of pieces are in play now, and with 3.22 things will finally start to come together. Things to keep in mind:

1) Bay'lar is facing serious consequences that won't end up being "blank slated" in the episodes to come.
              2) Vahret is on board Horizon as a prisoner.
              3) Two guardians we know are out there, one may we someone we know. Or, it may not.
              4) Impending Kih'Andari attack on Vorian space.

Things that I can say will happen by the end of next week:

1) A little light shed on Bay'lar status.
              2) We will find out how Vahret came to be in Bentari hands
              3) Sivea awakens, although her condition, fate, and what she remembers remains to be said.

Things to expect in the final three episodes:

1) Two large scale space battles.
              2) Resolution to one of the largest overarching themes/goals throughout the season.
              3) A regular cast member departing.

So, hopefully those of you weary of "set-up" will find the final three a bit more forward moving.
              Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
              Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
              Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
              Stargate Destiny, Fan
              Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1 View Post
                So, hopefully those of you weary of "set-up" will find the final three a bit more forward moving.
                I hope so... in screen time Horizon has so far more than 2 hours of setup (3+ episodes)

Speed up! Quick! Now! Rapido, schnell

Unless you want to take the place of Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate on Longest Setup in History (Seriously, that was looooooong!)

Comment

That's interesting. Because I don't actually think of this as a set up episode. It does, of course, set up the whole Kih'Andari attack storyline; or to be precise, it kicks off the Kih'Andari attack storyline. But other than that, things are moving along.

For example, we now know that Der'ash is actually the real mastermind behind everything we've been seeing. He's been missleading the Enoly into thinking that he's got a spy on Vorian, when in reality he's one of the Guardians, which explains his knowledge of the Book of Nosah'trah. Basically he and Lecia decided to use the fact that the Enoly are looking for the Book to their advantage, to get what they need (the compound to complete their weapon).

And other than that, I think of this more as a character episode. I like all the character beats a lot, some of them were already mentioned here. I thought it was fun to have David in a situation where he's in command, and see how he'd handle himself. The scene with Callen and Chuck was added during revisions of the script, by the way. The fun thing is, of course, that it introduces the Vorian equivalent to coffee. And it reveals Chuck's plans for the future. So we'll have to see what will happen with that. For all we know we'll get to see a "Chuck's" one of these days.

The thing about Callen letting Bay'lar go on this mission was mentioned. And basically this just means that Callen trusted Bay'lar, to the degree where he believed he'd be able to control himself. Was it a mistake? Maybe. But seriously, who would have thought that Bay'lar's actions would have resulted in someone getting killed? In any event, we'll be seeing some repercussions that result out of this. There's definitely no reset button involved in this.

Rey'vek (the guy who got killed) was a red-shirt, to some degree. However, at the same time his death will be a lot more meaningful than people will probably expect. Suffice to say, this is something that will haunt Bay'lar for some time to come. It was briefly considered to have someone get killed whom we've actually come to know. But once you see where this is going, I think it'll become clear that that wouldn't have been necessary.

Thanks to everyone who's commented so far. I think this arc is definitely a very different type of storytelling than what we're used to, which is what we were shooting for. So I'd be really curious to see some more comments, and maybe some active discussions.

I can definitely promise you that when the guy in the trailer for 3.21 said that the biggest surprises of the year are just around the corner, well, let's say he wasn't exaggerating. A couple of more surprises are headed our way in the next episode actually. So stay tuned.

Comment

You might not have envisioned it as a setup episode but that's how it read. Seemed very out of place TBH with another setupish episode in the middle of the arc. It's easier to think of this final arc as two actual arcs with this setting up the final arc...lol everyone, take a breath now!

Overall it was okay. Nothing overly special. Didn't pick up for me until the last two acts which is why it took me so long to read it! Some nice character moments. I can't wait to see Chuck's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

One thing i have to ask is, are you planning on writing Bay'lar in any future episodes in Season 4/5?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightbane View Post
                        One thing i have to ask is, are you planning on writing Bay'lar in any future episodes in Season 4/5?
                        There's some ideas floating around for Bay'lar's return. But nothing has been decided yet. Whatever we'll end up doing, it's safe to say we haven't seen the last of Bay'lar.

Comment

Awesome i like that character and his interaction with Sivea

Comment

Jelgate’s Two Cents
                            I am sorry to say that this was clearly a setup episode. That is not a bad thing. I have found that the more setup an episode has the more excitement the following episodes have. I am expecting for the final three episodes to be suspenseful episodes that will keep me guess. For a setup episode, this was mildly entertaing. I very much enjoyed the team moment as Horizon-1 is anxiously waiting on the news of Sievea.?* It reinforces how much the has grown to each other over the past three years. I kind of wish we saw more of Lenori operating and less of the hostility between the Kir’Adhari and the Enloy. Everything could have been simplified to the two groups making the exchange. The only other thing that is worth explaining is the exchange between the Bentari and the Vorian people. I like the fact that Lt. Adams was the pilot of the ISGC shuttle. It shows us what has happened to the Valiant crew since its destruction. It seems like Sato is suffering from some post-traumatic stress disorder. Speaking of mental illness, I think Bayler is suffering for many of them. I hope they lock into a prison or worse for his actions. Killing someone under those circumstances are unforgivable, IMO.?* I almost had a heart attack when I found out that the Bentari had Council Vahernt. Both Vorian and Kir’Adhari have massive fleets. It is going to be one hell a fight. I can’t wait to see where this is going.?*
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Having been able to read this arc with hardly any gaps in between the episodes, I see it less as a setup now. The episode feels really natural and the progression of the arc also feels extremely fluid. It's nice to see the Bentari return as they've been practically invisible since the 2 parter earlier this season. I'm hopeful the next episode is going to expand on their role in the war as that hasn't been dealt with much.

As mentioned above, it's nice to see consequences of the Valiant incident with Sato considering resigning. I'm still disappointed how little fallout came from that incident. Same as I hope the incident with Bay'lar will have huge consequences as I just can't remember.

Things are building up nicely and it's just getting bigger and bigger. Really enjoyed this episode the 2nd time around.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X