BC-304 vs. Imperial Star Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    Yes, the destruction of Prometheus and destruction of Daedalus were due to captains suddenly turned stoopid and standing still in front of the enemy's cannons.
    Wait, Daedalus was not destroyed. The Wraith superhive's last bolt precisely corresponded to the moment the Daedalus' shields failed. How convenient.
    Yeah, then those other two 304s get just as lucky, fancy that. I think I'm just going to start arguing for humanitarian Wraith, there's certainly enough evidence for it by now isn't there. No, they'll really only kill you if they're hungry.

Perhaps you mean this:

It is indeed an obscure reference from a card game. But this should not, in theory, be important, since there would be no reason to deny this material. However, there's just the fact that Saxton guy claimed this picture pointed to ultra gigaton or teraton yields, yet he completely missed that even the arc of the yellow thing does not even correspond to a spherical arc. Meaning this body we see would rank as a small dwarf planet at best, and we don't even know the whole shape of that thing, since it could be very irregular.

Therefore, the size of the explosion and distance of projection has to be interpreted differently. There will be neither an atmosphere nor a particular strong gravity to fight against. In a way, the slightest nuclear firecracker would expel matter that way.
    Of course, it speaks volumes of the honesty and objectivity of an astrophysicist with a Ph.D who considered this to be a planet, and quite large at that.
    That and the blurbs in the ICS yes. The point is that vast majority of star wars fans are never going to come to the conclusion that ISDs fire gigatons or teratons because the vast majority of fans probably haven't read the episode 2 ICS, or seen this card then decided that every other battle was really faught with weapons on 0.00001% power. I'm not trying to say that majority rules in the determination of what is right here, that's a logical fallacy. What I'm pointing out rather is that the gap between the opinion you'll have if you do and don't believe the claims made by ICS is so wide that it's almost impossible to not view it as the bizarre outlier it is.

If it wasn't an outlier believing in the claims of that book shouldn't change your view of starwars as radically as it does. If they put out a book for stargate that said Mk8 nukes were rated at 1500 megatons it wouldn't really shock anyone's socks off because we already know that they had 1200 megaton mines in the show and 1000 megaton missiles as early as season 1. As such hearing about another nuclear weapon of about that power level wouldn't really come as much of a surprise to anyone familiar with the show. In Star Wars though you've got ISDs blowing up asteroids, and getting damaged by them, then all of a sudden weapons literally about a million times more powerful than that out of nowhere and appearing nowhere but in this book.

Yes, B5 has canonical books added later which wank things up left and right, and has a lot to do with technomages and the Shadows. But everytime one brings these books in play, if there happens to be a member knowledgeable on B5 to argue, it goes on and on, largely because the books paint an universe and enforce facts which seem to fail to mesh with the reasons which made what we saw in the show happen.
    Of course, that's also largely due to the interpretation of the fans.
    I have argued with one member about this. I happened to clearly remember an episode of Crusade featuring Galen, who battled what remained of a technomage controlling machines on a planet, and this came in a direct collision course with the super wank of other books. There was no real good rationalization because by the time of Crusade, Galen had already evolved beyond many of his technomage mates.
    One of the reasons the books seem to blow things out of proportions -including claimed a massive industrial capacity- is, apparently, a book showing the attack on Zahadum-something seen from the perspective of Galen. The Whitestar (I think) carried several nukes of hundreds of megatons each (600 MT iirc), and they all detonated in some kind of cavity which was the main city of the Shadows' planet, and Galen happened to be below.
    He cast some shadow armour over him and someone else, and survived. It's very sketchy, sorry. However, it was never considered that Galen may have tapped into the planet's structures and find a way to boost his armour and help it spread the energy.
    This also completely forgets that we've seen battlecrabs destroyed by young race weapons, and smaller Shadow warships destroyed by distant 10 megaton nukes (which means these ships took only a small fraction of that whole energy, a lot soaked up by the asteroids they were placed on).
    I'm not as familiar with B5 as I am with starwars as I'm not as much of a fan of that universe. I do know that it had similar numbers in some technical manual that made some atrociously awful wanktastic claims about the station's power output being in the yottatons or some other such nonsense.

I actually like starwars, I really do. I like it better than SGA certainly, well maybe not the prequels. Which is why I don't like to see it warped with this "mine is bigger than yours" bull****.

If starwars had the sort of yields ICS claims (it's got kiloton nuke level weapons on things as small as fighters to) it would completely break the universe with everyone flying around in ships that should be able to chainfire nuclear level energies at will in an atmosphere. One of the things I like most about the star wars setting is the idea of how anyone can theoretically own their own personal spacecraft, almost like you could a car today. That concept all goes spiraling down the drain of rank idiocy if I'm asked to believe that governments the galaxy over are all really allowing millions or billions of people to just glide around their populated cities carrying weapon magazines loaded with probably thousands of little Hiroshima's just waiting to come out and play.

Solving this problem is actually one of the serious primary challenges facing a sci-fi author who wants to create a universe where spacecraft can be privately owned, the problem being that the energies typically associated with viable spaceflight are extremely dangerous to human life if unleashed in an atmosphere. Lucas actually solved the problem with a combination of repulsorlift AG tech for taking off and just by keeping the weapons used by everyone at a lower level of power, and these "must have moar yieldzzzz" ******s are basically trying to unsolve it for him, diminishing the integrity of the entire setting in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      Solving this problem is actually one of the serious primary challenges facing a sci-fi author who wants to create a universe where spacecraft can be privately owned, the problem being that the energies typically associated with viable spaceflight are extremely dangerous to human life if unleashed in an atmosphere. Lucas actually solved the problem with a combination of repulsorlift AG tech for taking off and just by keeping the weapons used by everyone at a lower level of power, and these "must have moar yieldzzzz" ******s are basically trying to unsolve it for him, diminishing the integrity of the entire setting in the process.
      I like how they covered that in Firefly. They put the engine in full burn inside of the atmosphere and it leaves behind a sizeable explosion across a very wide area. One person could decimate a city. I think it comes down to common sense though. I mean one person could burn down an entire town centre pretty easily, but you never really hear about it being done.

I suppose arson is a little different than a kiloton level explosion inside of a heavily populated area though lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
        I like how they covered that in Firefly. They put the engine in full burn inside of the atmosphere and it leaves behind a sizeable explosion across a very wide area. One person could decimate a city. I think it comes down to common sense though. I mean one person could burn down an entire town centre pretty easily, but you never really hear about it being done.

I suppose arson is a little different than a kiloton level explosion inside of a heavily populated area though lol.
        Yeah even serenity's engine at full burn was nowhere near what you'd be looking at with icsified star wars. There you'd be talking about giving people access to actual weapons that could probably at least duplicate that engine effect several times per second then letting everyone fly around near bustling hordes of people with weapons like that just the flip of a switch away.

Then of course there's the actual battles themselves where if you could lay down firepower like that you naturally would, but they don't...

You know those helicopter analog things that the clones used in episode 2, yeah they're suppossed to be able to fire I think it is 190 megaton rockets. Remember those big walker things that shot down the spheres that were trying to take off before they could, those beams they fired, yep from what I remember those beams were apparently gigaton level to according to the ICS blurb about them.

Then the clone wars animated series has actual fullsized ships shooting at each other inside an atmosphere with blasts flying everywhere including down, and yet the blasted hellscape you would expect to appear within literally seconds with gigaton level shots landing all over the place strangly never does...

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
          Weren't fighters able to knock out Star Destroyer shields? And in the new movie, they disable a hangar's shield by simply shooting the hull right beside it. Not very impressive.
          It is when you consider what was fired a torpedo volly is pretty dam powerful

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

That was just lasers from Anakin's Jedi Starfighter

Comment

We should have a poll.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterran1. View Post
                That was just lasers from Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
                That sheeild was just the containment sheil for the hangar to stop stuff going in or out that isnt meant to the proper ray sheilds where down already note when he blows it the hangar door (which is a back up) starts to close to compensate for the loss of the hangar sheild

304s have the same system

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Yes but one thing......
                  can you PROVE the 200GT apart from the incredible cross-sections?
                  seriously everything else claims much less.

Comment

Odyssey simply because it can do this to the Ori
                    http://images.wikia.com/stargate/ima...am_weapons.jpg
                    sigpic
                    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Then the clone wars animated series has actual fullsized ships shooting at each other inside an atmosphere with blasts flying everywhere including down, and yet the blasted hellscape you would expect to appear within literally seconds with gigaton level shots landing all over the place strangly never does...
                      unfortunately this is the case with both Stargate and Star Wars. they are supposed to be shooting massively energetic bolts around, but they barely do a Ton of damage, let alone kilo, mega or gigatons. the only remotely stable factor is SG's nukes, which actually do produce very, very big bags and mushroom clouds akin to what you would expect to see.

but that raises the question of why a nuke is so ineffective against shields.

in short: i very much doubt it ever comes to a conclusion. the more you try to sort it out, the more instable the structure does and it will inevitably collapse.

i myself designed a theory to make energy weapons work in stargate, with the humongous disadvantage that it would make SG ships pretty much ineffective against any other show, as other shows have other "physics" to make it work.

my common sense would dictate that the Star Wars ship wins. but that purely is a matter of size.

(in theory, a Star Destroy should lay down enough energy to swat a 304 against a planet, even if it's shields held without trouble)

Comment

i'd say the 304 wins down with it's ability to dodge incoming fire, as is the case with anything, the bigger the ship the less manueverable , it'd be like a fighter trying to take out a carrier but the fighter has powerful shields and energy weapons
                        sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

i'd say the 304 wins down with it's ability to dodge incoming fire, as is the case with anything, the bigger the ship the less manueverable , it'd be like a fighter trying to take out a carrier but the fighter has powerful shields and energy weapons
                          i am not sure about the exact amount of turrets on a Star Destroyer, but i bet it can't be dodged that easily.

Comment

Odyssey hands down, since Imperial Star Destoryers are big, and are not able to move as quickly. It would basicly be like how the Greek ships were able to use Greek fire to eliminate the Persian ships since the greek ships were smaller, and more manueverable. I'm sure it would have a tough time with the shields, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
                            1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
                            5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
                            6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard
                              then again the Odyssey has Americans at the helm sooooo... the Star Destroyer might win
                              (i only joke )
                              That statement can easily be tempered by a look at Austrailia's submarine force that is always tied to a pier.

In this scenario, I'm leaning towards a 304 being the victor.

Comment

Did you not notice that we've had a different man in the White House for several years? It also does nothing to answer my reply, but I've come to expect that from you. Before you begin a political debate that will make you wince, I suggest you pick your comments carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X