Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Default Re: BC-304 vs. Imperial Star Destroyer

We should have a poll.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Post Re: BC-304 vs. Imperial Star Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Alterran1. View Post
    That was just lasers from Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
    That sheeild was just the containment sheil for the hangar to stop stuff going in or out that isnt meant to the proper ray sheilds where down already note when he blows it the hangar door (which is a back up) starts to close to compensate for the loss of the hangar sheild

304s have the same system

Probie

Default Re: Odyssey vs Star Destroyer (unending spoilers)

Yes but one thing......
    can you PROVE the 200GT apart from the incredible cross-sections?
    seriously everything else claims much less.

Odyssey simply because it can do this to the Ori
    http://images.wikia.com/stargate/ima...am_weapons.jpg
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Then the clone wars animated series has actual fullsized ships shooting at each other inside an atmosphere with blasts flying everywhere including down, and yet the blasted hellscape you would expect to appear within literally seconds with gigaton level shots landing all over the place strangly never does...
    unfortunately this is the case with both Stargate and Star Wars. they are supposed to be shooting massively energetic bolts around, but they barely do a Ton of damage, let alone kilo, mega or gigatons. the only remotely stable factor is SG's nukes, which actually do produce very, very big bags and mushroom clouds akin to what you would expect to see.

but that raises the question of why a nuke is so ineffective against shields.

in short: i very much doubt it ever comes to a conclusion. the more you try to sort it out, the more instable the structure does and it will inevitably collapse.

i myself designed a theory to make energy weapons work in stargate, with the humongous disadvantage that it would make SG ships pretty much ineffective against any other show, as other shows have other "physics" to make it work.

my common sense would dictate that the Star Wars ship wins. but that purely is a matter of size.

(in theory, a Star Destroy should lay down enough energy to swat a 304 against a planet, even if it's shields held without trouble)

i'd say the 304 wins down with it's ability to dodge incoming fire, as is the case with anything, the bigger the ship the less manueverable , it'd be like a fighter trying to take out a carrier but the fighter has powerful shields and energy weapons

i'd say the 304 wins down with it's ability to dodge incoming fire, as is the case with anything, the bigger the ship the less manueverable , it'd be like a fighter trying to take out a carrier but the fighter has powerful shields and energy weapons
    i am not sure about the exact amount of turrets on a Star Destroyer, but i bet it can't be dodged that easily.

Odyssey hands down, since Imperial Star Destoryers are big, and are not able to move as quickly. It would basicly be like how the Greek ships were able to use Greek fire to eliminate the Persian ships since the greek ships were smaller, and more manueverable. I'm sure it would have a tough time with the shields, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
    5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”
    6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:1-6

Pistachio

Quote Originally Posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
    then again the Odyssey has Americans at the helm sooooo... the Star Destroyer might win
    (i only joke )
    That statement can easily be tempered by a look at Austrailia's submarine force that is always tied to a pier.

In this scenario, I'm leaning towards a 304 being the victor.

Pistachio

Did you not notice that we've had a different man in the White House for several years? It also does nothing to answer my reply, but I've come to expect that from you. Before you begin a political debate that will make you wince, I suggest you pick your comments carefully.

Odyssey hands down, since Imperial Star Destoryers are big, and are not able to move as quickly. It would basicly be like how the Greek ships were able to use Greek fire to eliminate the Persian ships since the greek ships were smaller, and more manueverable. I'm sure it would have a tough time with the shields, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    they were able to eliminate persian ships because greek fire was utterly devastating. it was like napalm, floated on water, and sticked to everything while spreading like crazy. not because they were super fast or maneuverable.

a Star Destroyer has enough guns to act like a constant shotgun on the 304. it won't be able to dodge if it flies into blasts, has blasts behind it, above it, below it and at the sides. it's a simple trick of dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    it's a simple trick of dynamics.
    Not to mention common sense.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
    Not sure how fast the AMRAAM missiles are supposed to be, but a TIE Fighter's official top speed is approximately 100 meters per second according to the EU as long as no power is being diverted from its engines to weapons. As a comparison, a TIE Interceptor's top speed is 111 meters per second under the same conditions, and a TIE Defender's is 155.
    According to Wikipedia AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles have a top speed of Mach 4 (4,900 km/h; 3,045 mph; 1.3612 km/s) which is way faster than a TIE fighter if their top speed is only 100m/s and by the same token the F-302's would also be faster since they are able to reach escape velocity.

I think the Star Destroyer shields can only deflect energy beams, but not solid matter, which would make a Star Destroyer vulnerable to kinetic energy, such as an asteroid. (that makes me still wonder why kinetic weaponry has been completely abandoned while being such a powerful tool against shields)

There's absolutely no way in hell a TIE fighter only goes 100m/s. It needs kilometer-per-second range just to enter orbit, which these things do. easily.

That kind of data regarding speed is usually picked out from Star Wars videogames using unrealistic physics.

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

According to wookiepedia the TIE fighter's atmospheric speed is 1,200 kph, 333.333... m/s. This applies for both canon and legends.

These numbers were apparently taken from a Star Wars Rebels book (in the case of the canon) and a disk released right before the release of the Phantom Menance called Star Wars: Behind the Magic (in the case of legends).

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

First Lieutenant Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei's Avatar

you guys are forgetting one major diff between the oddy and a star destroyer...... the hyper drive. while the oddy can use its hyper dive even while within a gravity well ( shown on multiple occasions) the hyper drive of a star destroyer cannot be. so all the oddy has to do is make multiple jumps in and out of the system with the star destroyer in it. in essence hit and run tactics
    Requiescat in pace Weedle

Shields can't be used in hyperspace. The 304 would be vulnerable while jumping.