This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancients and the 'Q' from Star Trek

I couldn't find anyone comparing the two, but has anyone else thought about how the Ancients and the Q Continum from Star Trek seem similar? Both have great ability and exist in energy (most of the time). I wonder if thats where they got the idea? I think the Q have more Pazsaz though.

I think this has been discussed a few times.

But I like the ancients better.

The Q seem to powerful. They are like, need to get somewhere.....now, and bam they are there.

The Ancients are like, we need a faster way to travel, so they make hyper drives, to plant stargates on other planets.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I think the difference is that the Ancients are better thought out as a race than the Q ever were. As much as I like John Delancie, I don't think the race was particularly coherent, and they tried to hide it behind the idea that they were too complicated for us to understand.

It's a cop out.

Comment

Actually I meant to say Assended Ancients. I just remembered, sometimes the ancients still use the Star Gate and other times the just appear. I'm not really sure if they need to use the gate or just do so for old times sake. Certainly the 'Q' don't need a gate.

I was glad to see John de Lancie in some of the Stargate episodes.... man that guy always plays a smart &**.

Comment

Gene Roddenberry liked to do stories with god-like beings with the emotional development of children, like Trelane and Q. Later writers expanded on Q and built up the continuum, trying to impose some rules that they follow.

I think the Stargate writers knew from the beginning, or at least when they first introduced the Ascended, what they were going to do with them. The ancients have a maturity and wisdom that you would expect from such an ancient race, as opposed to the Q.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
            I think this has been discussed a few times.

But I like the ancients better.

The Q seem to powerful. They are like, need to get somewhere.....now, and bam they are there.

The Ancients are like, we need a faster way to travel, so they make hyper drives, to plant stargates on other planets.
            Yea I started a similar thread (It's all relative) comparing these two races and who might win in a battle to control the universe. I'll have to go see if it got shut down. There was some real arguing going on over there. I've been a little intimidated by the way my thread was seemingly being hijacked by 2 people arguing. Glad to see things haven't gotten nasty here.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
            X