This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSI beats Daleks in manhattan

The return of the daleks on Saturday did not prove to be the ratings banker that BBC1 hoped, with Doctor Who losing more than 1.5 million viewers week on week.
    Daleks in Manhattan, the first episode of a two-part adventure, set in New York in 1930, saw the Doctor and Martha battling a quartet of daleks who had taken over the Empire State Building.

Doctor Who was watched by 6.3 million viewers and 35% share, according to unofficial overnights. The show was down by 1.7 million viewers and five share points on the previous week, according to the unofficial overnights.

Last weekend, Doctor Who enjoyed the benefit of a healthy audience lead in from an FA Cup semi-final.

This week, the show screened earlier than usual at 6.35pm and was preceded by the National Lottery People's Quiz at 5.55pm, which brought in an audience of 2.7 million and a 20% share.

BBC1 singing contest Any Dream Will Do also suffered, losing 800,000 viewers and two share points compared with the previous weekend.

Any Dream Will Do was watched by 5.3 million viewers and attracted a 27% share at 7.25pm.

In contrast, fans of singing contest Grease is the Word on ITV1 at 7.25pm were more loyal to the show.

Grease is the Word lost 100,000 viewers week on week and was seen by 4.2 million viewers and a 20% share.

Later in the evening, ITV1's Dame Edna Treatment at 10pm was watched by 2 million viewers and attracted an 11% share.

On BBC2, the World Snooker Championships between 7pm at 8.30pm brought in 1.5 million viewers, an 8% share.

The most popular BBC2 programme of the night was a repeat of Porridge, watched by 1.9 million at 8.30pm, a 9% share.

On Channel Five, the most popular show was CSI:NY at 9.25pm, seen by 2.3 million viewers, an 11% share.

Channel 4's Face of Britain documentary at 8pm was watched by 1.7 million people, an 8% share
    They spend so much money making the show and then put some baddies innit with piggy masks

Doctor Who was watched by 6.3 million viewers and 35% share, according to unofficial overnights. The show was down by 1.7 million viewers and five share points on the previous week, according to the unofficial overnights.

On Channel Five, the most popular show was CSI:NY at 9.25pm, seen by 2.3 million viewers, an 11% share.
    So, how did CSI beat DW?...

As always with ratings, it's always on how you present the information. For example, what's missing here is that Doctor Who was still the most-watched television show for the day and that unless some rating bomb happened on Sunday, it's still in the top 20 watched shows of the week...
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

When they spend so much money on effects only to ruin it by using cheap and stupid looking baddies they'll keep loosing viewers

Comment

No, that's an opinion. Some might point out to the earlier starting time as the main culprit.

I dunno about the baddies, tho. I mean, it feels to me like a patr of the Doctor Who spirit - and their keeping with the original mentality of "we can't afford proper monsters" even tho now they can. I love it

Still fail to see how it was beaten by CSI, tho. *shrug*
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Where to begin, where to begin?

Last week they had a strong lead-in from football and a much later start time both of which boosted the ratings.

The ratings for all shows were down on Saturday, and DW was still Number One for the day and will still be in the Top 20 shows for the week.

Ratings increased across the length of the episode so there was no one tuning out because of some pig-men.

The ratings for the sunday repeat were 41% up on last week.

DW: 6.3M 35% share
          CSI: 2.3M 11% share

So what was your point again?

Comment

CSI:NY is a pretty good show. I watch it every week.

I wouldn't choose it over Doctor Who, however. I like Dr Who more.

(If they could get Gary Sinese to guest on Dr Who that would be awesome!!!)
            "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

does the 41% increase for the sunday repeat prove that most people forgot that it started earlier than usual this week? It was on later than usual the week before and has only been on in its 'usual slot' once since it started! maybe if it started at the same time every week it wouldnt lose viewers? having to chase a show around the schedule is offputting to most viewers and eventually they just give up trying to watch!

Comment

Well perhaps because the previous episode was utter crap! So many holes to poke in it I hardly know where to start *shakes head*.

Although the earlier start time probably played a large part! As did the fact that the Radio Times ruined the whole episode with there cover FCOL.
                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  Some might point out to the earlier starting time as the main culprit.
                  I would go with the earlier starting time, I know often I miss my fave shows when the network screens them at a different time, even when I had known that the time had changed I still forgot. I have even written it down and forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                    does the 41% increase for the sunday repeat prove that most people forgot that it started earlier than usual this week? It was on later than usual the week before and has only been on in its 'usual slot' once since it started! maybe if it started at the same time every week it wouldnt lose viewers?
                    Ratings were down across the board on Saturday but the audience share was in line with "The Shakespeare Code" which like DIM didn't have a ratings boosting lead-in. And once you factor in the bump for the BBC3 screening the actual number of poeple is in line with it too.

And on the subject of changing start times, given the huge number of ways people have of looking them up these days I have little sympathy for anyone who doesn't take two seconds to make sure. It's not as if it's like the US where shows always start at the hour or half-hour and at the same time every week.

Comment

Originally posted by stcoop View Post
                      And on the subject of changing start times, given the huge number of ways people have of looking them up these days I have little sympathy for anyone who doesn't take two seconds to make sure. It's not as if it's like the US where shows always start at the hour or half-hour and at the same time every week.
                      that's a valid point, but I check everyweek but I don't always remember. Often I miss the first few seconds because I look at the clock and I have a while to go, get into what I'm doing and never check until the show has started. God bless sky+ lol

also, HOW did CSI beat Doctor Who, none of the statistics posted say it was better, at most it was your personal opinion that CSI was abetter show which is just crap IMO

Comment

*Looks at thread title*

Weeeeelll, for all its faults, at least Daleks in Manhattan did exactly what it said on the tin.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                        X