Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal'c/Christopher Judge Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Stargate is really Teal'c's story.

In CotG all the characters are (re)introduced, but who gets the most drynamic intro? Teal'c. Of everyone whose lives are changed as a result of the events in that ep, Teal'c is the one who has to completely re-assess his life, turn it around and make a whole new place for himself in the universe.

The arc that encompasses all seven series of Stargate is the struggle against the goa'uld. Who more than Teal'c is personally invested in that fight?

Teal'c might stay in the background rather more than he should, after all, proper heroes are frequently the modest type. But Jack is only the leader of SG-1 by default because Teal'c (and Daniel) hasn't usually decided to argue with him, disregard what he says, or generally take over. Jack is, of course, Teal'c's Apprentice (That got said on the show, so IT'S CANON )

And Changeling is definitely the best ever episode of Stargate. And Threshold was great too. Those few, precious eps which showcase Teal'c's journey just *have* to be leading to some big ending for him, where he gets to free the Jaffa / defeat the system lords / something v important in that vein.

Yup, it's all about Teal'c. I'm in the Happy Place.

Madeleine

I have a really hard time picking just one favorite character. I love them all. Or maybe I'm just indecisive. I don't know...I can't decide.

But I have to love a man who's bicep looks bigger than my thigh.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
      Stargate is really Teal'c's story.
      You'd better send the memo to tptb. I think they think Teal'c is a construction worker, what with all the time they have him propping up walls.

Jack is, of course, Teal'c's Apprentice (That got said on the show, so IT'S CANON )
      Ha! So it is.

And Changeling is definitely the best ever episode of Stargate
      I've heard lots of good about Changeling. I'll definitely have to see it.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Teal'c on the show? Yeah, he's great. Teal'c here on the forums, though, that's another story.

Stargate SHOULD be Teal'c's story. After all, he's the one who defied his god and chose to run off with a bunch of strangers. The series as a whole could have been great for developing him as a multi-faceted character who experiences growth and change (for the better and worse) and who becomes more than he ever could have been had he stayed with Apophis.

However, what the story SHOULD have been and what we've actually been given are two different things. TPTB rarely use the character to full advantage. 98% of the time he's reduced to being the Stoic Warrior without there being much else beyond that. He has his moments of angst and his moments of humor, but from my perspective that's all they've been: moments. I'm beginning to think TPTB really aren't so great at character development. Teal'c is a cardboard Stoic Warrior, Jonas was basically a paper cut-out until near the end of S6, the did a massive hack job on the character of Daniel in S7, Carter has gone from being three-dimensional (or at least two-dimensional) into being a cheap, shallow, over-emotional mess, and Jack... don't even get me started.

I think it'd be interesting if a creative, Teal'c-minded fan (or three) went back to rewrite Stargate's timeline with Teal'c as more of a central focus. You might still wind up in the same place, but the journey would likely be very different. Maybe even- dare I say it?- BETTER.

Comment

Very fabulous, very thunkable. Guh.

I'd post more, but I've melted into a puddle of fan grrl adoration.

Comment

yes. yes he is. i love teal'c hhhmmm. isn't he just unbearably cool?
            sorry, but i could probably go on all night about how great i think he is. especially now that he has a sense of humour.
            "i would prefer not to consume bovine lactose at any temperature."
            " the wind was most pleasent"

Comment

I think teal'c is seriously underused. he needs to be given more lines!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Teal'c on the show? Yeah, he's great. Teal'c here on the forums, though, that's another story.

Teal'c is a cardboard Stoic Warrior, Jonas was basically a paper cut-out until near the end of S6, the did a massive hack job on the character of Daniel in S7, Carter has gone from being three-dimensional (or at least two-dimensional) into being a cheap, shallow, over-emotional mess, and Jack... don't even get me started.

I think it'd be interesting if a creative, Teal'c-minded fan (or three) went back to rewrite Stargate's timeline with Teal'c as more of a central focus. You might still wind up in the same place, but the journey would likely be very different. Maybe even- dare I say it?- BETTER.

Shadowmaat, I have to agree with everything you wrote here...but I had to read twice what you said about Jonas! I thought you said "Jonas was basically a paper-cut"!!! And I know you think Jonas was severely underwritten, uncreatively backgrounded, etc etc.! LOL -- whoa.

Yeah, Teal'c should have had more involvement in the storyline. He's an alien, for heaven's sake, and from an alien culture ruled by nonhuman creatures who use them as fodder for their petty wars against each other.

I also think his age and experience haven't been used either -- if they did, would his knowledge have overshadowed Jack's, so they had to silence him? Or if not, if Teal'c only had a certain amount of knowledge, it would've been nice to see him react/act after learning new kinds of tactics that he could bring into his War Against the Gods; otherwise known as the Jaffa Rebellion.

I also dislike how Teal'c was pushed aside in Death Knell so that a guest star (with an incredibly deep voice, wow) could be the Leader of the Jaffa. Granted, Teal'c is friends with Sam, but I think even more important to him is the fight for freedom for his people. Unless -- and they didn't say this -- he went for pragmatic purposes: Sam has the power cell for a powerful weapon that can erase those Super Soldiers. Without it, the Rebellion is toast. But they never said that!

There should be a POV AU story line with Teal'c's POV central. That would be a real kick. But I think a lot of fanfic writers have a hard time getting into his voice and writing him well.

Teal'c is awesome! More Teal'c! More Lines for Teal'c! (that aren't based in a lame-o lovey-dovey woman at risk plot.... Yeach)

Comment

Originally posted by Gategrrl
                  But I think a lot of fanfic writers have a hard time getting into his voice and writing him well.
                  Jonas is a paper-cut to TPTB. Small and insignificant but still really annoying.

I think that fic writers have a hard time getting into Teal'c's head because we've been given so little to go on. There's just enough there so that they can't go wild (like I did with Luke *eg*), but there isn't enough to make him really cohesive for writing purposes. Or he's so cardboard that folks just can't be bothered to think up stuff for him. *sigh*

Comment

"Teal'c - Is He Fabulous, Or What?"

Yes and I heard he will speak more than one word in season 8!
                    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

indeed

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                        Yes and I heard he will speak more than one word in season 8!
                        *gasp!* I hope they spread it out over the season. If he says too much all at once, the shock might be too great for us...

Comment

Dude! Teal'C totally rocks!

All I can say is lucky Janet (in Hathor) when he is protecting her!

Teal'C with hair though? I'm not sure...
                          ------
                          Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

all hail T

except the wierd chin caterpillar think he had goin.. that was just plain odd, Teal'C is one of my fav ever characters. been developed so much but still lovable.. lol

Comment

I liked Teal'C's chin thing.....
                              ------
                              Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

Working...
                              X