This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
    I think that's a big part of it, as is standardized testing. Here in WA, we have the WASL (Washington Assessment of Student Learning) test, taken in elementary, middle, and high school. While passing it isn't a requirement to graduate (or, at least it wasn't when I graduated), the scores that students at each school get are a big factor in determining budget for the school. So now, instead of a more general, well-rounded curriculum, teachers are being forced by administrators to teach their lessons based on the exams. Students no longer are being taught the usual information. They're only being taught what is necessary to pass the test. Subjects not covered on the exam are bring dropped like hot potatoes - especially the arts.
    I didn't have to pass the WASL (but I did anyway) to graduate either, but I think it is a requirement now. Most of class time now is focused on having the students pass that test. Most of the time in 10th grade we most of our work was to prepare for it.

Also for those not in Washington, the test requires you to write an essay to explain why you picked a certain answer, such as doing a math problem and doing a fully detailed explanation. Also the two writing sections took me 4 hours each to do.
    sigpic

Comment

I watched a documentary that deals with this sort of problem, it's about a governing style that started in the UK & US. It basically says that all aspects of government and society can be controlled by giving people targets to meet, but infact, it just encourages people to find ways to gear the way they work to make up the numbers instead of doing their job more efficiently. Some of the ways that the police and doctors came up with to achieve the numbers were quite shocking.

Comment

We need scientists the money repays itself in the economy.

I think the lack of people interested in science is due to the fact that most teachers, teach their students with cold textbook curiculum (sp?), only a few good teachers inspire. I wouldn't mind ending up teaching science after years to come of the subject, I've had a interest since I was very young.

The future of learning (if not downloading into the brain), is personal.
        Pupils grouped by learning style and interest, after early years, with annual assesment.
        Originally posted by G.B Shaw
        Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
        Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
        Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
        You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
        Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
        One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
        You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
        The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
        www.7-scales.co.uk
        http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Working...
        X