Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
    i don't understand!

i honestly find it hard to believe how anyone can prefer fantasy to sci-fi, someone please explain!
    Why is it hard to believe? Some people prefer Romance, some horror ect. It's like anything in life - people have likes and dislikes. I just seem to prefer fantasy authors - Robin Hobb, Anne McCaffrey, Mary H Herbert, Robert Jordan to name a few (and I do consider them fantasy rather than sci fi).
    sigpic

Comment

i guess you are right, i just find it hard to read fantasy because of the implausability of everything, like magic and stuff, whereas in sci fi they explain anything that could be seen as magic, with nanites or quantum mechanics or something. i just find sci-fi a lot harder to pick holes in.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

I think that's exactly why I tend to prefer fantasy to hard sci-fi - it's not so caught up with providing explanations for everything. It just is. It's a world so different from our own that it really makes my imagination go nuts.
        "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
        My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

hmm, one of the things i really love about sci fi is trying to explain why things are the way they are, that makes MY imagination go nuts
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
            I think that's exactly why I tend to prefer fantasy to hard sci-fi - it's not so caught up with providing explanations for everything. It just is. It's a world so different from our own that it really makes my imagination go nuts.
            Same here, I love magic and dragons and stuff - I like a good intense read as much as the next person but don't like getting bogged down in heavy scientific jargon.
            sigpic

Comment

all those pics of carter in your sig and you cant handle a little technoJARGON!!
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              Quotes!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                Neil Gaiman is my favourite author ever. I recommend all of his stuff- his children's book, his adult books, his graphic novels, his short story collections, his pictures books that he's done with Dave McKean, it's all fantastic, and he reads his own stuff for audio books as well (all that I've heard anyway) and it's absolutely wonderful to listen to.

And his book "Stardust" is coming out as a movie this summer, word is the movie is very good.

And he has a wonderful blog that he updates almost every day, though currently his daughter is a special guest blogger for a few weeks which is quite cute:
                http://www.neilgaiman.com/

I love getting enthusiastic over an author, that was probably more than you wanted to hear.

Thanks for your very enthusiastic response, Trek_Girl. I think I'll have to give Gaiman a go for sure now. Is there any particular favorite of yours or should I just start with his oldest book.

I've heard about the movie version of Stardust(Claire Danes, right?) and looked at some photos on Rotten Tomatoes. I hope it's good. Movies usually can't live up to books or end up changing too much for my liking. But I haven't read the boook yet, so what do I care?

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
                  Thanks for your very enthusiastic response, Trek_Girl. I think I'll have to give Gaiman a go for sure now. Is there any particular favorite of yours or should I just start with his oldest book.

I've heard about the movie version of Stardust(Claire Danes, right?) and looked at some photos on Rotten Tomatoes. I hope it's good. Movies usually can't live up to books or end up changing too much for my liking. But I haven't read the boook yet, so what do I care?
                  Stardust was the first book of his that I read- and he automatically became one of my favourite authors after that. I definitely recommend starting there or with Neverwhere, if you like something a bit darker, then American Gods is an amazing read.

Comment

Okay, thanks a lot, Trek_Girl. I'll take your advice(that is, if my library has Stardust). I'm all for the dark, so American Gods sounds wonderful.

Comment

The Sam Gunn stories by Ben Bova. If you're interested in our first serious moves into the solar system, these are a must-read.
                      Last edited by Wordsmit2; 06 July 2007, 02:35 AM.
                      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2 View Post
                        The Sam Gunn stories by Ben Bova. If you're interested in our first serious moves into the solar system, these are a must-read.
                        please tell me more, i'm intruiged
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        Quotes!
                        sigpic

Comment

has anyone read Kevin J. Andersons Saga of Seven Suns, Book 6 has just been released, and just wondering if anyone else is interested?
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Swarm-...3739459&sr=8-1
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

Uuh. I've been reading for the 125487th time (LOL) 1984 - but then again is it considered scifi? Oo I guess so...
                            But my favorite one is A Brief History of Time - but that's science book, except when I don't reallt get what Mr. Stephen is saying, then it's scifi to me. HAHA
                            Nice topic guys!
                            sigpic

Comment

I love reading sci-fi and future fantasy. I've always loved the Xeelee Sequence and other obscure novels like I don't know. I forgotten them

Comment

If you are a military sci-fi fan you have to read Starship Troopers, that is where it all started. John Steakley's Armor is also a great read, it plays on a lot of the same elements.

1984 is a good one too, not sure if it is really sci-fi, but it seems most dystopian stories are. I actually prefer Huxley's Brave New World to 1984 though. It is a more entertaining read, and it is both a utopia and a dystopia depending on your view point.

If you like Dune then the Dune prequels are worth a read. They get a bit long winded at times, but they are more than worth it. Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson can lay out action in a way Frank Herbert never would have tried.

The Two Moons by James Hogan is an extremely interesting book too. It starts out really slow, and doesn't have a lot of action, but the theories he lays out--while implausible--are very imaginative and interesting.

If you like quick action filled sci-fi then you should look into William Dietz's Legion of the Damned series. Each book is like a quick sci-fi action movie.

John Scalzi's Old Man's War was a really fun book too.

If I keep going on though I'm gonna end up covering my entire collection. lol

*Oh and everyone MUST read the Halo series, all four books. If you don't finish them faster than any book you've ever read and beg the authors for more than there is something wrong with you. And I don't like playing Halo the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X