Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I also seem to be in the minority on this (at least at these boards), but as far as Dune goes, only read the original. Personally, I didn't think any of the others were worth the time I invested in them and wish I'd stopped after the first.
    Interesting- I've only got and read the first Dune book, and while I absolutely loved it, I don't really have the inclination to read more. Though I'll probably borrow Dune Messiah sometime, out of curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
      Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. If you like it, Blue Mars and Green Mars follow.
      Oh yeah, I completely forgot about this series. It's probably the most accurate and detailed series on the colonization and terraforming of Mars ever written. Delves into Mars societal changes, human genetic alterations, even pro and anti-terraforming factions. Great set of novels!

I heard that skiffy was going to make Red Mars into a miniseries, but that was several years back and there's been no news since then...

Comment

Add me to those who recommend Anne McCaffrey. She is excellent! Especially with the Pern series and the Doona series!I've also read her Planet Pirates/Dinosaur Planet books. They're good, too, but come behind the other two I mentioned in favoritism.

I also enjoy:

Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books (I'm reading one right now--Midworld). The insect-like Thranx in that series are one of the best aliens created in all science fiction.

Timothy Zahn's current Dragonback series. There are six books--four are out now, one is due at the end of this month, the last one next May.

Don Callander's Dragon Companion trilogy is excellent, though I can only speak on the first book.

sigpic
        "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
        Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
          Star wars books, there easy to follow, and tend to have good plots and exciting twists, plus all our fav characters from the movies and exciting new ones, try the X wing series, they are V funny
          amen to that sistah. Star wars books rock! lol, I"m still trying to collect them all to be able to read in order....

Has anyone else here read E.E "Doc" Smith's Skylark series???

I read and re-read and re-read these through primary and then through high school, would have been no less than a dozen times each (4 books) love them!!!
          Vows are spoken
          To be broken
          Feelings are intense
          Words are trivial
          Pleasures remain
          So does the pain
          Words are meaningless
          And forgettable

All I ever wanted
          All I ever needed
          Is here in my arms
          Words are very unnecessary
          They can only do harm

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post

Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books (I'm reading one right now--Midworld). The insect-like Thranx in that series are one of the best aliens created in all science fiction.

I´ve seen many threads like this but this is the first time I´ve ever seen someone other then myself mention books by Alan Dean Foster

My personal favorite ADF books are "The I Inside" and "A call to arms", if you haven´t read them I´d strongly recommand giving them a chance.

Comment

*madly writes down everyone's recommendations*
              "But I want to do community service, I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel"

Comment

Originally posted by katTheBird View Post
                *madly writes down everyone's recommendations*
                Hehe, I know what you mean.

Comment

Asimov is always a good read. Especially foundation and robot series.

David Feintuch's Seafort Saga (Midshipman's Hope - Children of Hope) was also a fantastic read. Anyone else read them?
                  Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                    Asimov is always a good read. Especially foundation and robot series.

David Feintuch's Seafort Saga (Midshipman's Hope - Children of Hope) was also a fantastic read. Anyone else read them?
                    I´ve read most of them. I actually read the last book first not knowing that this was part of a series (that book can stand on its own). I then read the first three books and they were great but for some reason I´ve never managed to get around to reading the next couple of books.

Comment

My favourite is Stephen Donaldson's "The chronicals of Thomas Covenent, The Unbelievere".

Awsome story telling, awsome landscape, and awsome depth in the human psychie. The 8th book is about to come out and there are 2 more to finish the series. I highly recommend. Check out donaldsons website and see what he has got.

Cheers

Comment

I've been reading my way through Sara Douglas's Wayfarer Redemtion series
                        sigpic

Comment

Don't read much sci fi, am more into fantasy.

Some of my favourites:

Mike Carey, Felix Castor series
                          Simon R. Green, Nightside series
                          George R.R. Martin, A song of Ice and Fire
                          Robin Hobb, The Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy
                          C.S. Friedman, Coldfire trilogy
                          Jim Butcher, the Dresden Files
                          Anne Bishop, Black Jewels trilogy
                          Kim Harrison, Rachel Morgan
                          Laurell K. Hamilton, Anita Blake Vampire Hunter
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if this is strictly sci-fi / fantasy, possibly more towards horror. Whatever it is, one of my favourite books is "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. Sad, scary, funny and ultimately uplifting. Also "The Day of the Triffids".
                            My blog
                            My Twitter

Comment

I´m currently reading the newest book in the "Malazan book of the fallen" series by Steven Erikson. This series is nothing short of brilliant and I highly recommand it and consider it to be one of the best series ever written so if you like serious fantasy books check it out.

Edit: The first book in the series is called "Gardens of the moon" btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                                Robin Hobb, The Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy
                                One of my favourite set of books, they make be cry when I read them.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X