Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Awesome read, a lot of 80s references. The movie wasn't bad either, I actually found it quite funny the bad guys are hilarious, especially the ''evil'' wizard.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

"Chimera" by Mira Grant.

Third and final book in the "Parasitology" trilogy.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

"The Secret Runners of New York" by Matthew Reilly.

A standalone YA novel from the author of the "Shane Schofield" series, and the "Jack West Jr." series.

Equal parts present day posh high school drama, and time travel into a future dystopia.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

On the Kindle app on my phone, I'm reading "The Midnight People" by John Peel and Steve Beckett.

A novella in the "Lucy Wilson Mysteries" series from Candy Jar Books, featuring the adventures of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart's granddaughter.
          sigpic

Comment

"Empire of Glass" by Tad Williams.

Second book in "The Last King of Osten Ard" trilogy.
            sigpic

Comment

I was offered The Book of Dust (Pullman) but before I read it, I started re-reading His Dark Materials, which I read about fifteen years ago. I had forgotten a lot of things, and I really enjoy elements that I'm sure I didn't understand when I was a teenager.

Comment

On the Kindle app on my phone, I've been reading "The Night Raven" and its sequel "The Silver Mark", both by Sarah Painter.

Books one and two of the "Crow Investigations" series of private investigator/urban fantasy novels set in present day London.
                sigpic

Comment

On the Kindle app on my phone, I've been reading a new (to me) urban fantasy series - "Ordinary Magic" by Devon Monk.

Comprising four full length novels so far, "Death and Relaxation", "Devils and Details", "Gods and Ends", and "Dime a Demon". Plus three novellas, "Rock Candy", "Paper Stars", and "Scissor Kisses".

Set in the small coastal town of Ordinary, Oregon, where all the ancient gods come for a vacation. Delaney Reed - with the help of her two younger sisters - runs the town's police department and tries to keep law and order.
                  sigpic

Comment

Kindle, "A Minefield Full of Penguins" by T.B. Carter.

Book one in the "Adventures of the Interesting Times Club" series,

A year after he left the army, ex-Royal Marine NCO Xavier Costella is finding civilian life a struggle. He hates his job, He hates living in London and he’s no longer allowed to blow stuff up. Not even a little bit.

When an old school friend offers him job looking after a semi-derelict manor house in the wilds of Wales, Xavier jumps at the chance to get out the capital. That's before he discovers the former residents mysteriously disappeared and the job comes with a well-used company sword.

First, he must leave London and this could be a problem. His girlfriend has a serious aversion to living anywhere where sheep outnumber people and the Police want to speak to him about a murder he is almost certain he didn’t commit.

Broadly speaking it's a little bit of "Stargate SG-1", a little bit of Terry Brooks' "Magic Kingdom of Landover" series, a dash of Heinlein's "Glory Road", and dollop of Pratchett-esque humour.
                    sigpic

Comment

"Sex and Dragons and Rock and Roll" by T.B. Carter.

Two months after the events recounted in "A Minefield Full of Penguins", Sir Brand returns from his sojourn in a strange and mysterious city, or, as the natives call it, London. What he wants to do is return to his lady love, marry her and live happily ever after.

This could be a problem, the lady in question is very high born and their relationship, if it became known could upset a lot of very important people. Not only this, as a Knight of the Citadel, Sir Brand is supposed to lead a life of poverty and chastity. The poverty isn't a problem when your best friend owns a castle. The chastity... well, that’s not so easy, despite his determination to stay faithful.

Sir Brand asks the rest of the Interesting Times Club, led by Xavier, the formidable Governor of Trafalgar for help. As they travel to the legendary City of Bergraz, Sir Brand recounts the events that forced him to leave the city in the first place and led him to become the youngest Knight of the Citadel and Champion to the Goddess of the River.
                      sigpic

Comment

Kindle, "The Cruel Stars" by John Birmingham.

Book one of "The Cruel Stars" trilogy.

They thought the Sturm were dead. They were wrong.
                        Centuries after their defeat, the enemy has returned with an overwhelming attack on the fringes of human space. On the brink of annihilation, humankind's only hope is a few brave souls who survived the initial onslaught: Lt. Lucinda Hardy, thrust into uncertain command of the Royal Armadalen Navy's only surviving warship; Booker3, a soldier of Earth, sentenced to die for treason, whose time on Death Row is cut short by the invasion; Alessia, a young royal of the Montanblanc Corporation, forced to flee when her home planet is overrun and her entire family executed; Sephina L'trel, the leader of an outlaw band who must call on all of their criminal skills to resist the invasion.

And, finally, retired Admiral Frazer McLennan, the infamous hero of the first war with the Sturm hundreds of years ago, who hopes to rout his old foes once and for all – or die trying.

These five flawed, reluctant heroes must band together to prevail against a relentless enemy and near-impossible odds. For if they fail, the future itself is doomed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Anyone use any auidiobook services besides Audible? I have a fairly large audible library and sign up anytime they send me a deal, but would love cheaper\different but still legal options.

Scribd looks like it is $8.99\mo for unlimited listens. If library is decent that could be a good option. Any advice would be helpful!
                          sigpic

Comment

Kindle, "Lady of Devices" by Shelley Adina.

Book one in the "Magnificent Devices" series of Steampunk adventures.

It's 1889, and Lady Claire Trevelyan is expected to do nothing more with her life than catch a rich husband. Unfortunately, her talents lie not in the ballroom, but in the laboratory, where her experiments have an embarrassing habit of blowing up.

When her father gambles the estate on the combustion engine despite the fact that everyone knows the world runs on steam, Claire finds herself out in the street with nothing to her name but her steam landau and her second best hat.

But the embarrassments of her old life might be the talents that save her now ... if she can stay alive long enough to barter her skills for a street gang's protection. It's not long before a new leader rises in the London underworld, known only as the Lady of Devices ... a double life Claire must keep secret if she is to achieve her dream and become the assistant to a world-renowned scientist...
                            sigpic

Comment

An urban fantasy series called "Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar & Grill" by BR Kingsolver. Loved it. There are witches, warlocks, vampires, mages and various others in the same category. I got it on my Kindle, but I believe it is available in paperback and possibly hardback, too.

Comment

Currently working my way through "Groo the Wanderer" written and drawn by Sergio Aragonés, rewritten, co-plotted and edited by Mark Evanier, lettered by Stan Sakai and colored by Tom Luth.

Gloriously sily, real laugh out loud funny, and just the thing to cheer you up if you're feeling down.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X