Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Magicians on SyFy ?

Anyone see this yet? I'm curious if it's worth it?

I'm waiting for the book from the library, but the sample I read from Amazon was pretty good.

(my apologies if there is another thread...I looked but didn't see one)

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Magicians on SyFy ?

I watched the pilot last month when they had a sneak premiere after the final part of Childhood's End. Didn't impress me much, not familiar with the books, although I've heard good things about them. I caught the second ep online a few days ago, but haven't seen the third yet. There are a couple of characters I like, a few I don't, but it's too soon to tell if it will hold my attention. It is a bit derivative of other things, like Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. Not knowing what other things you like, I'd say give it a shot, you might like it more than me.

Well, I am 3 Episodes in and so far its a mixed bag for me. I like some of the Characters, with the protagonist being a fail in my opinion. The Story feels all over the place for me and it feels like it got a really weird pacing. I guess I should better give the books a try.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

I'm still trying to get through the first episode (I started watching it a while ago, but couldn't get into it, I tried picking up where I left off the other day, but I only got about halfway through before stopping again). I was planning on giving it another try later on today or tomorrow. Like ecgordon mentioned, it really reminds me of a more adult mix of Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia.

I'll admit to starting the first episode and falling asleep....I may try again when I've cleared the DVR of everything else new.

I watched what I guess was Episode 1 this evening. I got about halfway through it before changing the channel.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    I watched what I guess was Episode 1 this evening. I got about halfway through it before changing the channel.
    If you're talking about the one that started about 9:50pm EST immediately after the movie The Devil's Advocate, you are correct, it was a repeat of the pilot. I've seen the first two, not sure if I'll bother with more. There's just too many other things that interest me more right now. Plus I'm reading a lot of books these days that interest me more too.

Judging by the comments, this Series is here to stay.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Just finished watching last week's episode (No.3) and I'm really enjoying this show. A unique take on magic, to be sure.

Each of the characters have their own separate (and sometimes, opposing) motivations for pursuing magic. The Julia character, in particular, is developing into a rival protagonist for the lead. It's cool that he is not a Harry Potter-type; his teachers go out of their way to remind him that kind of sucks at magic.

I'll definitely keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    Just finished watching last week's episode (No.3) and I'm really enjoying this show. A unique take on magic, to be sure.

Each of the characters have their own separate (and sometimes, opposing) motivations for pursuing magic. The Julia character, in particular, is developing into a rival protagonist for the lead. It's cool that he is not a Harry Potter-type; his teachers go out of their way to remind him that kind of sucks at magic.

Still it reminds me much of Heroes. You have all these Story Arcs that might converge at the Season finale, but do not really make up a coherent Episode. Its hard to know who or what to focus on.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post

I might give this a shot it sounds ok, shame they canceled Dresden Files

Actually, this is pretty good. Its confusing as hell, since nothing is really explained and everyone just goes with it, but after 6 Episodes I am actually hooked. Well, better late than never.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

im loving this show, cant wait to watch it week to week
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Chief Master Sergeant

Yeah, it's surprisingly good. The characters are epic (Mayakovsky!).

Probie

Can anybody tell want happen between episode 3 and 4 because I couldn't make the leap to what happen. I actually went to episode guide just to see I got the order right.

Quote Originally Posted by ESESEL View Post
    Yeah, it's surprisingly good. The characters are epic (Mayakovsky!).
    I am actually surprised by the non-censoring this Series is doing. I mean Quentin with his Nails, the Rabbit scene and Episode 9 took that to all new levels. At least I have not heard the F Bomb being dropped so regularly. Am I just so out of current TV, or is all that allowed by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Starchs View Post
    Can anybody tell want happen between episode 3 and 4 because I couldn't make the leap to what happen. I actually went to episode guide just to see I got the order right.
    Well, Alice left the School after finding out what happened to her Brother. Julia was so angry at Quentin for not helping her, that she went Full blown Inception on him and locked him inside his mind. Any other thing?
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

This is probably one of the best series currently on now. The dark harry potter vibe really works for me.

I too love the dark Harry Potter vibe
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

The Season was awesome, but I got to seriously ask if thats where the current standard for accaptable content is? The first half was aweseome, with the second going more sexual and disturbing by the Episode. Dont get me wrong, I want more and luckily there will be a second Season. Which even prompts me more to ask if this is appropiate now?
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

It has been renewed already
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast