Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh so many!

I love Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and The Wheel of Time series. Right now I'm reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and it's absolutely wonderful. I definantly reccomend it.
    sigpic

Sig by SamJackShipLover! Thanks!

Thanks to Vanity_killsxxx on LJ for my profile pic!

Comment

Bewolf's Children not too bad
      sigpic

Comment

I have to say that the Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer is great. Shes a first time writer so the book starts out a little slow but by the end youll be eager to read the other two.

Also, Tamora Pierce is an amazing author, her quartets, Circle of Magic, The Circle Opens, and Song of the Lioness, are amazing and so is her continuation of the circle series, The will of the Empress. That book cannot be described with words.

Oh yeah, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud, is a good read as well, and so is the Inhereitance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini (DO NOT judge the books on that ridiculous movie because the novels are way better!).

P.S.
        Sorry if any of these have been said already I got a little excited when I first saw the thread and didnt read any of the other post.

Comment

I just finished Michael Crichton's State of Fear for my environmental class. A very quick read considering its over five hundred pages. And there's a guy that's eaten alive
          Spoiler:
          who's basically a charicature of well-meaning but ill-informed actors that is up in arms about global warming
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I've just read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Interesting mythology behind it (gnostic influence) with cosmology (Dust) thrown in for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by Re-Horakhti View Post
              I've just read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Interesting mythology behind it (gnostic influence) with cosmology (Dust) thrown in for good measure
              One of my absolute favorites! I'm re-reading the whole trilogy now, in anticipation of the movie!
              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by SG-ina 1 View Post

So yeah, gotta luuuuv reading I want to try more sci-fi though. As soon as I have saved some money... Bookstores are so not safe when I'm around
                Reading is the only addiction worth having.

Comment

Tolkien's trilogy -> great!!!
                  The Contact
                  ~~~~~~
                  polish fantasy:
                  The Witcher , A. Sapkowski (my first fantasy)
                  Achaja, A. Ziemianski (best I've ever read!)
                  and many more....
                  sigpic
                  sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Recently finished the latest from Jasper Fforde- "First Among Sequels", which was excellent. I just finished a fantasy called "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey- her writing is unbelievably gorgeous. Currently I'm reading the second of that trilogy and also I've finally started George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones", both of which, I already can't put down so I'm kinda reading them alternately.

Comment

Originally posted by Re-Horakhti View Post
                      Oh I so need to re-read those

Recently finished the latest from Jasper Fforde- "First Among Sequels", which was excellent. I just finished a fantasy called "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey- her writing is unbelievably gorgeous. Currently I'm reading the second of that trilogy and also I've finally started George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones", both of which, I already can't put down so I'm kinda reading them alternately.
                      Oh I adore Fforde - his Tursday Next series is a fav of mine
                      sigpic

Comment

everyone go out and buy Peter F Hamiltons "the Dreaming Void" will please sci-fi and fantasy fans alike, as it essentially follows 2 story lines one in our universe around the 35th century, and one in an artificial "fantasylike" universe inhabited by humans located at the centre of the MW, it's really good,
                        i also suggest reading Pandoras Star/Judas Unchained, as there is a slight crossover between tham as they are in the same universe.
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

I dont who posted it first but last monday i went and got the I Am Legend book and I just wanna say wow! That was an amazing book and I took it to school with me today, and i've already got about a dozen people asking to borrow it.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
                            I dont who posted it first but last monday i went and got the I Am Legend book and I just wanna say wow! That was an amazing book and I took it to school with me today, and i've already got about a dozen people asking to borrow it.
                            I want to read that book too, before the movie opens.

Comment

Just started Invisible Ring author's name escapes me at the moment
                              sigpic

Comment

Last Saturday afternoon I was reading while waiting for the bus. When the bus arrived, I picked up my things and somehow I lost my copy of "A FINE & PRIVATE PLACE" by Peter S. Beagle. Can you believe it ???

I was really enjoying it. Now I have to buy the book again to read the other half of the story...

Comment

Working...
                                X