Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Hey..!!

I love reading and was looking for a thread to talk about it, as I dind't find one (sorry if I'm in the wrong place or there is one already, I'm kinda new...) I decided to create one.

So... what good Sci-Fi/Fantasy books have you read..??

Personally, I love Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles and Farenheit 451

What about you..?? Anyone interested..??

I read more than anyone I know. All sci-fi fanasty books. So I like your thread. My quote says it all. Have you read the Pern series? I love the dragons in it.
    Have you read the Wheel of time series?
    I will stop there, cause boy did you every open a can of worms with me!
    I liked Farenheit 451 as well.
    Last edited by Snowflake; 15 April 2007, 04:12 PM. Reason: cause I wanted too.
    Music and Stargate
    sigpic
    Perfection

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
      Have you read the Pern series? I love the dragons in it.
      Have you read the Wheel of time series?
      Can't say I did... are they good??

One of the reasons I started this was to find some good books to read..!!

What about Out The Silent Planet??

Comment

ive just read American Gods, if you havent read it, read it.
        it's bloody brilliant, it combines a load of genres but i'd say overall fantasy kind of fits it...... kind of.

Also the City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke is a favourite of mine, it has such an amazingly realised future society thats utopian and dystopian at the same time, but seems plausible somehow even though its set millions of years in the future, speaking of millions of years in the future...

i'm also a big fan of Red Dwarf and ive got to say i prefer the story in the books to the tv series, because their not under pressure to get a laugh every minute the writers can properly explore the story and the characters are subtely different to their tv counterparts, such as Lister going into stasis on purpose and not being quite as dumb as he is portrayed on tv, and rimmer is even more of a git than in the show if thats possible.
        The characters are just so much more rounded, they even delve deeper into holly's computer senility and seeing rimmer's hatred for himself slowly build and build in the me2 section of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers makes you almost feel sorry for him, and the cat society, argh... too much to go into, i highly recommend those books if you like the show and out of the books written by Grant Naylor seperately go for Rob Grants Backwards, the Last Human by Doug Naylor is a bit too much star trek not enough Red Dwarf for my tastes but still good if only for the alternate psycho Lister, but Backwards is simply brilliant and continues from Better Than Life, the second book in the series.

1984, i cant really say enough great things about this book, a classic, ive read it about seven times.
        The Time Machine, another classic, but not to every ones tastes its a bit distant in its narrative and hasnt got that much if any character development especially considering we never find out the main characters name or anything about him other than that he has a time machine!

oh and Kafka on the Shore, really, really, really weird but such a good story, gloriously surreal.

too much to write, i'll leave it at that.
        To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

I gotta second the recommendation for Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. I grew up reading those, and really loved them!

Another good fantasy is Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. The fantasy world itself is wonderful, but his story has meaning behind it (it's very much a commentary on organized religion). The movie version of the first book ("The Golden Compass" here in the US, or "Northern Lights" across the ponds) comes out this December, so that'd be a neat one to read before seeing the film.

Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" is another good one. Very engrossing, and written in a way that's easy for anyone to read.
          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I honestly dont read alot (and I realy do mean that but...)

*points to Sig*

I am a fan of the Gaunts Ghosts series and a few others WH40K series but thats about all...

Comment

Originally posted by Stranded On Earth View Post

Personally, I love Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles
              Never read the book, but we had to watch the 'laser disc' in school and I hated every minute of it, though maybe part of that hate is because our english teacher made us look for insanely unimportant details that would be on the test over the movie...like what color is a certain object in the background in the diner scene, only he didn't tell us what to look for before hand. Hated that teacher.
              By the way, there's a new scifi series coming out in may called Star Rogue that you might want to check out.
              Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

HEAPS!!!!!

Raymond Feist - THE king OMG i wish they would turn ALL his books into movies...
                David Eddings (and Leigh)
                Janny Wurts
                Anne McCaffrey
                Terry Brooks
                E.E. "Doc" Smith
                Brian Herbert (Preludes to Dune)
                Julian MAy
                MArgaret Weis and Tracey Hickman
                All Star Wars extended universe
                and millions more... I practically have a library in my room... lol
                Vows are spoken
                To be broken
                Feelings are intense
                Words are trivial
                Pleasures remain
                So does the pain
                Words are meaningless
                And forgettable

All I ever wanted
                All I ever needed
                Is here in my arms
                Words are very unnecessary
                They can only do harm

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
                  Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" is another good one. Very engrossing, and written in a way that's easy for anyone to read.
                  I confess, I haven't read a lot of scifi/fantasy, but I'm a big fan of Ender's Game. (That was a book that got passed along through a bunch of friends in college.) I have read the entire Ender's series, but you can read just the first book.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Star wars books, there easy to follow, and tend to have good plots and exciting twists, plus all our fav characters from the movies and exciting new ones, try the X wing series, they are V funny

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Limb View Post
                      ive just read American Gods, if you havent read it, read it.
                      it's bloody brilliant, it combines a load of genres but i'd say overall fantasy kind of fits it...... kind of.
                      Ooh, this might be my favourite book ever. Absolutely genius, and I've just borrowed it again to read for the second time. Basically anything written by Neil Gaiman is gaurenteed to be a good read- I'm currently reading Sandman Volume Eight: World's End.

There is a sort-of sequel to American gods (though I'd tend to prefer the term "Companion") called Anansi Boys, which is a quite a bit lighter and very funny.

Ender's Game is definitely another Sci-fi must-read.

Comment

Good books guys!
                        I'll add a few of mine.
                        R.A.Salvatore- The demon awakens(series)
                        Elizabeth Hadon-Rhapsody(series)
                        David Addings-The Belgariad series, the Malloreon series
                        Terry Pratchett- the Disc world novels (very funny)
                        The Starwars series(especially the bounty hunters)
                        And many more!
                        I love books

Good selections everyone!
                        Last edited by Snowflake; 16 April 2007, 12:43 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling!
                        Music and Stargate
                        sigpic
                        Perfection

Comment

Ender's Game is awesome, as are the Star Wars novels.

I'm a huge fan of Isaac Asimov. Nightfall is one of my favorites, and the Foundation series is, IMO, a must-read (or more accurately, seven or eight must-reads) for every sci-fi fan.

Arthur C. Clarke is another favorite of mine, especially the four Rama books and The Gods Themselves.

Somebody mentioned H.G. Wells' The Time Machine––I love that book! In its defense, character development wasn't the point (which may partly be why the Time Traveller never gets a name); rather, the extrapolation from the society of the time to the distant future and what we are turning ourselves into. The really terrifying part about it, I think, is that we're still on that same path.

The same author's The Invisible Man is a great book, as are Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Oooh, also "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Two amazing authors smooshed into one book makes for a fanatstic book!
                            "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                            My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
                              Oooh, also "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Two amazing authors smooshed into one book makes for a fanatstic book!
                              Hey good call, I just read that again two weeks ago. How did you know?
                              Music and Stargate
                              sigpic
                              Perfection

Comment

Working...
                              X