Page 5 of 171 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books Anyone..??

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    The Two Moons by James Hogan is an extremely interesting book too. It starts out really slow, and doesn't have a lot of action, but the theories he lays out--while implausible--are very imaginative and interesting.
    When I was at university all the anthropology students were gaga for James P. Hogan.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsmit2 View Post
    When I was at university all the anthropology students were gaga for James P. Hogan.
    Really? I thought I was the only person who ever read The Two Moons. I literally picked up the only copy, that had been on the shelf for probably years, at a local bookstore.

I could definitely see anthropology students going crazy for his work though. For a guy who spent most of his life writing technical manuals he has a deep knowledge of the basics of anthropology, physics, and robotics.

I haven't read any of it, but he has some actual scientific articles about physics and the laws of robotics that are supposed to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsmit2 View Post
    At its most basic, Sam Gunn is an entrepreneur in the early days of our venturing into the solar system. Each story concerns another of his schemes. Off the top of my head, I remember stories about a bid to construct a shield for a space station, painting in the sky, and asteroid mining.

Most are short stories. They are humorous, though some have a darker undertone as well. The neat thing (for me, anyway) is not only are the stories plausible science fiction, they probably *will* come to pass in one way or another.

About fifteen years ago most of the stories were collected into a paperback called "Sam Gunn, Unlimited". An overarching story was added concerning a woman who is trying to make a documentary about him. Recently this book was repackaged with some novellas. "The Sam Gunn Omnibus", I think.
    That sounds cool, thanks, i might have to have a look on amazon when i've finished the next couple of books i have lined up

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    If you like Dune then the Dune prequels are worth a read. They get a bit long winded at times, but they are more than worth it. Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson can lay out action in a way Frank Herbert never would have tried.
    if you like Kevin Anderson you must pick up "Hidden Empire" it is really good
    The Book
    All the Books so far
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    STARGAvaTarIII
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0137376zj2.png

I've tried to read quite a bit of the posts already posted, but there are a lot. So I'll just reply to the first and hope I'm not repeating everyone all that much. If I do, sorry!

I'm also a huge fan of reading, Fantasy & Sci-Fi in particular. Some favorites of mine are Neverending Story (Michael Ende), Stravaganza (forgot the author's name), The Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb), the Discworld series (Terry Pratchett), The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan), the Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind), and Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) and well, some more but the list is quite long already. I've read Foundation by Asimov as well, but thought it very difficult. I have the first book of Dune on my shelve, as well as the first book of Salvatore's Drizzt series, and Wild Seed by Octavia Butler, waiting to be read. And currently I'm reading the second book of The Liveship Traders series by Robin Hobb.

So yeah, gotta luuuuv reading I want to try more sci-fi though. As soon as I have saved some money... Bookstores are so not safe when I'm around

Quote Originally Posted by SG-ina 1 View Post
    So yeah, gotta luuuuv reading I want to try more sci-fi though. As soon as I have saved some money... Bookstores are so not safe when I'm around
    if you are a fantasy fan trying to get into sci-fi i recommend hidden empire by kevin j anderson. he's written a few dune books, and his saga of seven suns is quite an easy sci fi read for a fantasy fan.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    STARGAvaTarIII
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0137376zj2.png

My friend's greatest fear is that George R.R. Martin dies before he finishes A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm churning through a Storm of Swords at the moment.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Master View Post
    My friend's greatest fear is that George R.R. Martin dies before he finishes A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm churning through a Storm of Swords at the moment.
    I'm starting this series once the impact of the writer's strike hits full force.

Right now I'm reading a fantasy book : "A Fine & Private Place" by Peter S. Beagle; another book also by Beagle is one of my lifetime favorites : "The Last Unicorn".

Second Lieutenant

I cut my sci-fi teeth on Ray Bradbury. Amazing stuff. Still.

I have also enjoyed Herbert and Clark and Heinlein, even though I got really exasperated with Heinlein over his later stuff. Too much referencing of his own material and the whole "fiction as alternate time-lines" thang he was into.

I was in college before I fell into Tolkein and I have reread the books at least every years since then. Bought a DVD player and my first DVD after the movies started coming out.

I also loved "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever," and I am just sick that Robert Jordan has jsut recently passed away before he would finish the massive "Wheel of Time" series.

I can also recommend the Pern series, the Deryni books, and just damn near anything by Harlan Ellison. I'm serious. Ellison is more of a fantasist than some people realize...

Oh and I can't forget Ursula K. LeGuin. Classic stuff.

ladyjanus

You know that cold tingling feeling?..............

Whoa, some really good recommendations here, should keep me busy for a while.

I'm a little surprised no one here has mentioned Stephen Baxter. Quite frankly I think his work is amazing. Of special note is his Destiny's Children series...its a series of three books (and a foruth of short stories set in the same universe) about the future cultural and technological evolution of mankind and a whole heap of other cool stuff. But yeah, this is a good start but all of his work is brill - those of you who read 'The Time Machine' might be interested to read Baxter's official authorised sequel 'The Time Ships', even better than the first.

Umm, I've also started reading Peter F. Hamilton's work, particularly like his Commonwealth series...

Yeah, also I fan of the classics such as Asomiv's and Clarke's work

Chief Master Sergeant Uberdork7898's Avatar

Oh so many!

I love Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and The Wheel of Time series. Right now I'm reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and it's absolutely wonderful. I definantly reccomend it.

Sig by SamJackShipLover! Thanks!

Thanks to Vanity_killsxxx on LJ for my profile pic!

Bewolf's Children not too bad

Second Lieutenant MartianManhunter's Avatar

I have to say that the Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer is great. Shes a first time writer so the book starts out a little slow but by the end youll be eager to read the other two.

Also, Tamora Pierce is an amazing author, her quartets, Circle of Magic, The Circle Opens, and Song of the Lioness, are amazing and so is her continuation of the circle series, The will of the Empress. That book cannot be described with words.

Oh yeah, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud, is a good read as well, and so is the Inhereitance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini (DO NOT judge the books on that ridiculous movie because the novels are way better!).

P.S.
    Sorry if any of these have been said already I got a little excited when I first saw the thread and didnt read any of the other post.

I just finished Michael Crichton's State of Fear for my environmental class. A very quick read considering its over five hundred pages. And there's a guy that's eaten alive
    Spoiler:
    who's basically a charicature of well-meaning but ill-informed actors that is up in arms about global warming
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

I've just read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Interesting mythology behind it (gnostic influence) with cosmology (Dust) thrown in for good measure

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Horakhti View Post
    I've just read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Interesting mythology behind it (gnostic influence) with cosmology (Dust) thrown in for good measure
    One of my absolute favorites! I'm re-reading the whole trilogy now, in anticipation of the movie!
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Quote Originally Posted by SG-ina 1 View Post

Reading is the only addiction worth having.

Tolkien's trilogy -> great!!!
    The Contact
    ~~~~~~
    polish fantasy:
    The Witcher , A. Sapkowski (my first fantasy)
    Achaja, A. Ziemianski (best I've ever read!)
    and many more....

sig thanks to Luci

Recently finished the latest from Jasper Fforde- "First Among Sequels", which was excellent. I just finished a fantasy called "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey- her writing is unbelievably gorgeous. Currently I'm reading the second of that trilogy and also I've finally started George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones", both of which, I already can't put down so I'm kinda reading them alternately.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Horakhti View Post
    Oh I so need to re-read those

Recently finished the latest from Jasper Fforde- "First Among Sequels", which was excellent. I just finished a fantasy called "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey- her writing is unbelievably gorgeous. Currently I'm reading the second of that trilogy and also I've finally started George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones", both of which, I already can't put down so I'm kinda reading them alternately.
    Oh I adore Fforde - his Tursday Next series is a fav of mine