What should I collect next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I collect next ?

Since I've completed to collect the entire ST:VOY collection, all seven seasons, I don't know what I should collect ? I would after finishing VOY go on to ENT, but what would you start collecting ?

The Original Series
    The Next Generation
    Deep Space Nine
    Enterprise
    Animated Series (I know it's only one series)
    Beckett: How come I never make friends like that ?
    McKay: You need to get out more.
    Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much out do you get ?
    - Atlantis: "The Rising"

Obviously this going to be subjective to what the person recommending prefer's. Personally I like all the Trek series (some a lot more than others). That being said, I would recommend you view TNG or DS9 next. Both those series take place in the same time-line as VOY took place and IMHO are the 2 best Trek series if not the best scifi series ever made.

Comment

How about, buy all of them one season at a time - if budget permits. That way, you can watch all of them from the beginning to end in conjunction with each other. You'd probably end up completing the collection much faster than if you bought just the one series each time.
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Star Trek
        The original series, an absolute classic TV series. There's only three seasons, so it wouldn't take long to collect. I've seen about half of the episodes from the first two seasons, but I've seen all of Season 3. Keep in mind it was made in the 1960's back when TV shows didn't have story/character arcs, so you can collect the seasons in any order you wish. Keep in mind Chekov is not in the first season. The original pilot is a bonus feature in the Season 3 set while the accepted pilot is presented as the third episode in the Season 1 set. I would recommend this TV series to anyone, even those not into science-fiction. Deffinately get this one!

Star Trek: The Animated Series
        You could look at this as a fourth season of Star Trek in animated form. There's a total of 22 episodes. If you like cartoons, go for it! If not, skip this series.

Star Trek: The Next Generation
        Easilly the best Star Trek series. Where as VOY is an action-adventure show, TNG puts greater focus on drama and science-fiction concepts. The show had a 7-season run, but it's largely episodic, so collect the seasons in any order you like. Since you have VOY on DVD, you're aware of the Borg. They were originally TNG villains, so it ought to be fun for you to see TNG's portrayal of the Borg, though they only appear in six episodes. Most people I know who like VOY also like TNG, so I'd deffinately recommend getting this series.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
        Like TNG and VOY, this show also had a 7-seasons run. This show features a space station, not a starship, so don't expect them to be boldly going where no man has gone before. However, the station does have a small fleet of Runabouts (shuttle-size starships) joined by the Defiant at the start of Season 3. However, the Defiant is a warship reserved for special missions rather than exploration. The show is more of a drama than a science-fiction series. However, there are still a number of sci-fi, action, and adventure episodes. The show is continues to get more serialized with each season. The best way to see the series is to watch it from beginning to end. I don't know if you'd like this paticular one, but it doesn't hurt to give Season 1 a try.

Star Trek: Enterprise
        The latest Star Trek series had a 4-season run. The first two seasons focus on exploration, the third season focuses on a search for a super weapon, and the fourth/final season features the Enterprise being sent on missions rather than just aimlessly exploring space like they did in the first two years. I thought the show was pretty good. You ought to enjoy it. While there are a lot of story arcs, each season is more or less self contained, so collect the series in any order you like.

Star Trek Movies
        There are ten movies. The first six are based on Star Trek while the latest four are based on The Next Generation. The movies are in the same continuity as the TV shows, but they also stand on their own. Each movie stands on it's own, but 2-4 are effectively a trilogy, so you want to get those three in order. I would recommend all of the movies, but Nemesis is iffy. A lot of people find it to be aweful while others love it. I admit that it's a very flawed movie, but I liked it enough to buy the video largely because it was the final TNG adventure.

Instead of collecting an entire series at a time... rotate! Get a TNG set, a DS9 set, an ENT set, a TOS set, another TNG set, another DS9 set... and so on. You could do the same with the movies. That's how I've been collecting TV shows on DVD.

Also, here's a Star Trek timeline for you...

The 22nd Century
        Enterprise

The 23rd Century
        Star Trek
        Movies 1-6

The 24th Century
        The Next Generation S1
        The Next Generation S2
        The Next Generation S3
        The Next Generation S4
        The Next Generation S5
        The Next Generation S6 / Deep Space Nine S1
        The Next Generation S7 / Deep Space Nine S2
        Deep Space Nine S3 / Voyager S1 / Generations
        Deep Space Nine S4 / Voyager S2
        Deep Space Nine S5 / Voyager S3 / First Contact
        Deep Space Nine S6 / Voyager S4
        Deep Space Nine S7 / Voyager S5 / Insurrection
        Voyager S6
        Voyager S7
        Nemesis

Comment

I Have every Star Trek season on VHS, and to tell the truth the very best without a doubt is the next generation! i can watch the whole thing over and over.

My advice is - dont bother with enterprise (although the cases look good!!)

Hope this helps!

Dave

http://stargatefan1.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'll chime in and say that Enterprise is worth it!

Someday when I actually have $$$ I think I'll rotate collecting ENT and DS9, followed by TOS (since I've already got the first season, may as well continue from there), then TNG and lastly VOY, both of which are on TV everyday anyway, and I tend to catch my favourite eps.

Comment

Buy STAR TREK:NEMESIS movie.LOL i heard it was a great buy

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                Buy STAR TREK:NEMESIS movie.LOL i heard it was a great buy
                I'm probably one of the few who liked Nemesis, and I did buy it when it did come out, but later o they brought a Collectors Edition !

Thank you all for your input, and I think I'll be going with a rotating thing, first Next Gen then DS9, then ENT and so on....
                Beckett: How come I never make friends like that ?
                McKay: You need to get out more.
                Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much out do you get ?
                - Atlantis: "The Rising"

Comment

MrBright, you're not alone! I also like the movie despite it's flaws. I have it on DVD and the soundtrack on CD. Unfortunately, Paramount often releases movies to DVD with no special features, then releases a Special Edition later on. This isn't limited to the Star Trek movies.

I'm glad we were able to help you.

Comment

I would go with DS9 next, it was different than any of the other series in that it took place on a space station. And the crew got involved in the messy politics of the local planet, Bajor. And if I remember correctly, Command Sisko was not particulary happy about being "stranded" on the station at first.

Then perhaps either TOS or TNG (although I preferred the later seasons of TNG to the first two) and then Enterprise. Enterprise was not everyone's favorite, and it played havoc with ST canon. Don't you think the Xindi would have been mentioned in any of the other series if seven million people had been killed in an attack? But it had its moments and had a pretty good cast. Which is actually the strength of every ST series, the respective casts just seemed to fit together really well, with the personality of the captains setting the tone.
                    sigpic

Comment

Enterprise didn't screw with established continuity. The show fits well into the franchise. Those who say it doesn't are taking throwaway dialogue as gospel. As for the Xindi thing... who cares if it was never mentioned on the other shows?

Comment

Hey, we got Vulcans and Andorians and Kling-ons, oh my. We even got mention of Zephram Cochrane. And wasn't the fact that the ST symbol was supposed to represent warp introduced in ENT (or am I imagining this?). So there was alot of good. LOL.

I just think that something as momentous as the Xindi attack would have been mentioned in the earlier series.
                        sigpic

Comment

It would have... if ENT were made first. The show is a prequel, but it's also a new production. The show needed to add to the world of Star Trek while exploring it's past. Just accept that we don't hear about the Xindi in previous series, because the prequel show didn't exist back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                            It would have... if ENT were made first. The show is a prequel, but it's also a new production. The show needed to add to the world of Star Trek while exploring it's past. Just accept that we don't hear about the Xindi in previous series, because the prequel show didn't exist back then.
                            LOL. Thanks for the explanation. And as someone who is old enough to have watched TOS in the 60's, I know full well which one came first. The need for ENT to create its own storylines separate from what came before it on the screen or after it in mythology (I feel like Janeway, its a temporal anomaly giving me a big headache) is obvious. I STILL think introducing something as big as the Xindi attack was silly considering lack of evidence in the future as portrayed in the past (as head spins).

Now that we've settled that argument . . .
                            sigpic

Comment

I just feel that the writers shouldn't be put in such constraints. Who cares if it was never heard about in the previous series despite being set after ENT? The writers should be given free rain so long as it doesn't contradict previous episodes. Since the previous shows never mention the Xindi, there's nothing to contradict, thus the writers have total creative freedom.

Comment

Working...
                              X