This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Johnson Is Flash Gordon

Well, its official, Canadian actor Eric Johnson has been cast as the new Flash Gordon in the upcoming tv series produced by the Sci-Fi Channel. The tv series is slated to premiere in August.

Johnson Is Flash Gordon

Eric Johnson (Smallville) has landed the title role in SCI FI Channel's upcoming original series Flash Gordon, the network announced. The 22-hour series updates the comic-strip franchise and is slated for an August premiere. Johnson will play space-traveling adventurer Gordon, who is joined by companions Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov. Ordinary people thrust into extraordinary circumstances, they find themselves as Earth's last line of defense against the forces of the merciless dictator Ming.

Peter Hume wrote the first two episodes, which will be directed by Rick Rosenthal (Smallville). Production is to begin May 1 in Vancouver, Canada.

Flash is being produced by Reunion Pictures under an agreement with King Features Syndicate, which owns the franchise. RHI Entertainment's Robert Halmi Sr. and Robert Halmi Jr. (SCI FI 's Legend of Earthsea) are executive-producing, with Hume also expected to executive-produce. Matthew O'Connor and Tom Rowe produce.

Canadian actor Johnson is perhaps best known for his role as Whitney Fordman on Smallville, a character he portrayed from 2001 to 2004.

Casting is under way for the other roles. Flash Gordon was created in 1934 by Alex Raymond.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=2&id=41050

Hmmm.... I must admit that I'm looking forward to this one because it was one of the main inspirations for George Lucas to create Star Wars. Furthermore, the fact that its being produced in Canada makes me think that this version will at least be good or decent, unlike the cheesy, but enjoyable 1980 movie version. We'll see! Flash, Ahhhh! Sorry, couldn't resist! Thoughts anyone?
    Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

That link is defunct BTW, but thanks for the info. Is Eric fit and/or any good, never having seen Smallville.
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
      That link is defunct BTW, but thanks for the info. Is Eric fit and/or any good, never having seen Smallville.
      Thanks for letting me know. Try it now:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=2&id=41050
      Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, i'm not too fond of the casting of Eric Johnson. I never liked him in Smallville and I can't really see him being suitable as Flash Gordon.

Time will tell, but I am don't have any expectations of him doing a good job.

sigpic

Comment

Crave Online: Mark Stern (SciFi Channel) Interview:

In this interview, Mr. Stern discusses both the new series, Flash Gordon, and the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica. Please follow the link below for the complete interview.

From Crave Online:

http://www.craveonline.com/filmtv/ar...i_vp_talks_bsg

Mark Stern gives details on Battlestar Galactica season 4.

Fred Topel, CraveOnline
          May 8, 2007

Ron Moore talked a lot about plans for the next season of Battlestar
          Galactica. You can't go much higher than him, but maybe the vice
          president of programming for Sci-Fi Channel would work. Mark Stern
          added to Moore's tease of season for, as well as previewed the new
          Sci-Fi series Flash Gordon. Eric Johnson plays the title hero with
          the female lead still to be cast, but it looks to be a very different
          update to a classic than Battlestar.

**snippage**

Crave Online: Does Flash Gordon have the same perspective of turning
          a campy old show into something respectable?

Mark Stern: Definitely, in a very different way. I think that Flash is, we're not looking for it to carry the mantle of a show like Battlestar Galactica but definitely, it's about taking something that's maybe a little pulpy and a little more high concept and finding a way to modernize it. I think it's going to be much more of a Stargate. I don't think Flash is going to be attacking the pressing issues of day, the 2008 election. I think it's really more about
          taking that kind of fun romp, the humor and the energy of Stargate
          and really kind of applying it to the Flash Gordon franchise.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X