This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

I've just finished watching the 4th season of Farscape and I ask, why was it cancelled? What were Sci-Fi on? This was ana amzing show. All we get to wrap up the series is a mini-series, which is cool, but I did hear the plan was that they makers were looking to make it a 5 year series. The show worked so well and it seemed like they had a great plan for it as each year something new developed and storylines spread over multiple episodes. the characters had character! man! So gutted it got the axe. I'm looking forward to the Mini though. But I think anyone who liked it would have preferred another 22 episodes.

Anyone who has not seen it just for the reason, "They never got around to it" like me, then I suggest you go check it out.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
    from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

What they should do is re-shoot the 4th season, then shoot the 5th season.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Why would you reshoot the 4th season? Anyways, yeah Farscape kicks ass. Bwahaha!
      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

The excuse they gave was declining ratings (Which I think was caused by the "death of the week" in season 3). The cost of the show was such that they used that to use a opt out of their contract and cancel the show.

Comment

Season 4 is a bit of an odd season--there's a lot of "loved it/hated it" in regards to it, but I enjoyed it, even if Twice Shy drove me crazy with its blatant Red Dwarf plot. Some episodes (PM, MaA) were weak or at least, could have been a little better, but there are too many greats, like JQ and Kansas. My biggest gripe though is that Aeryn's hair looked as fake as it was and her pulling it back made it look worse.

Yeah, they did kill everyone who hadn't already died in season 3, but its Farscape. Death is a staple. The season premiere ep was called "Season of Death" so obviously there was some foreshadowing.

Too true though, a season 5 would be ideal, but PK Wars looks like its going to be mindblowingly awesome, so I'll settle for that.

Comment

The reason they should reshoot season 4, is because it was rushed.

Season 4 and 5 were combined into the present season 4. It made almost no sense. If PEACEKEEPER WAR does well, which it will, they should reshoot season 4, make the correct season 5, and maybe think about a 6th season.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I don't think so, season five had been planned but the cast and crew didn't know about the cancellation till literally they were filming the last scene--which I think is from "Constellation of Doubt", Aeryn making a sandwich. It had been assumed they would be coming back. The show wasn't rushed to cram in as much as possible, because they had no idea they'd need to. The problem was that things were left out--like mentioning that the crew had agreed to meet on Arnessk back in DWTB, which is why John wanted to go there and why Aeryn went there and found Scorpius instead. The season had its problems, but I don't think that was related to rushing storylines when they already had dropped quite a few. They probably took what would have been season 5, dropped all the non essential stories, modified it some and turned it into PK Wars.

Realistically if Farscape is coming back, it'll be in the form of a movie, another mini or in spinoff, so season 5 is out the window because the show had been intended to run 5 years and only made it to 4.

Comment

Farscape is (one of) the best Sci-Fi series ever created!! I can't wait for the mini!
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

When I initially saw this show, the bad lighting, directing, and camera work prevented me from watching more than 5 minutes of it. However, I hear a lot of good things about it. So I guess, if I'm ever gonna see this show, I'll have to look past the hack directors and see it for the acclaimed story.
                  It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by JQuinn
                    When I initially saw this show, the bad lighting, directing, and camera work prevented me from watching more than 5 minutes of it. However, I hear a lot of good things about it. So I guess, if I'm ever gonna see this show, I'll have to look past the hack directors and see it for the acclaimed story.
                    Interesting. What episode did you see?

Comment

Originally posted by FieryHands
                      Interesting. What episode did you see?
                      I have an odd feeling that was a challenge to my statement about Farscape having a bad director, so I'll just elaborate...

For one thing, it wasn't just one episode. It's been several episodes over the past few months. I would be surfing through the channels, see Farscape was on, and try to watch it. However, I just have a problem with the lighting and camera work. I understand that some people like the lighting, but it just bothers me. It feels like the stage lighting on a talk show, sitcom, or something filmed live in front of an audience. When I first saw the show (before I'd heard anything about it), I thought it was made in the late 1980's. It just doesn't sit right with me.
                      It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                        The reason they should reshoot season 4, is because it was rushed.

Season 4 and 5 were combined into the present season 4. It made almost no sense. If PEACEKEEPER WAR does well, which it will, they should reshoot season 4, make the correct season 5, and maybe think about a 6th season.
                        That is just plain wrong. They got a contract for season 4 and 5. They took the oppertunity to plan out both seasons in advanced and then went to work producing season 4. No rush was involved. Around the time when they were wrapping up the last episode of season 4 (I think it was almost literally on the last day of shooting) SciFi tells them that it is opting out of the 5th season and cites declining ratings as a reason.

Up until that point everyone was assuming that there would be a season 5. In fact only the first half of season 4 had been shown and it would be almost six months until the series finished airing on SciFi.

So clearly no rush on season 4. Peacekeeper Wars is meant to cover the essential arc that was planned for season 5. Of course it will be drastically reduced in scale but that is unavoidable given the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by JQuinn
                          I have an odd feeling that was a challenge to my statement about Farscape having a bad director, so I'll just elaborate...

For one thing, it wasn't just one episode. It's been several episodes over the past few months. I would be surfing through the channels, see Farscape was on, and try to watch it. However, I just have a problem with the lighting and camera work. I understand that some people like the lighting, but it just bothers me. It feels like the stage lighting on a talk show, sitcom, or something filmed live in front of an audience. When I first saw the show (before I'd heard anything about it), I thought it was made in the late 1980's. It just doesn't sit right with me.
                          I get you. In the 1st season it's not that it was bad lighting or bad camera work, but it was just the quality of what was used to shoot it. Some shows such as Stargate are shot on 35mm film (16mm in the early days). Farscape appears to be shot on Digital video or something of not the highest standard. However, after a while they do move on to something of a better quality. Perhaps they went on to shoot on 16 or 35mm.

When I 1st saw the Pilot I thought "man that looks strange, what was shot on? Video? That ships SFX don't look too great. They're good I suppose, but not that realistic. I've seen better." I think the SFX not being that photorealistic in the beginning and the poor Camera work could turn away the sensitve viewer, but I did enjoy the storylines and characters so I kept on watching. I loved the action set pieces. Despite all of their low budgetings they always managed to do action well. The camera was always moving and was placed in multiple places there was always excitement, which is strange because you would think "Smaller budget - crappier action, bigger budget - better action". The SFX may never have been top quality, but they always put a lot of SFX in and slowy improved upon it.

The drama of the show is unparalled to anything, in fact I'd compare the investments into the characters to that of Alias.

Once you get into it the humour is great especially from Rygel. Wait to you see him on planet earth

Def give it a chance tho. It's got one of the greatest villains on TV slo...Scorpius!

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                          from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Hell yeah!
                            New Farscape is just such fantastic news. And although I've known for months now it's still 'news' because everyone spent so long speculating, hoping, not knowing and asking whether and when, that part of me doesn't quite believe it, so I'm still nicely surprised whenever anyone talks about the new Farscape stuff.

Madeleine

Comment

Actually, I was just wondering if you saw a particular episode where the camera movement/lightning came off wonky or something, but I see your point.

Comment

Working...
                              X