Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Second Lieutenant Indiana's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    461

    Heartbroken Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    I've just finished watching the 4th season of Farscape and I ask, why was it cancelled? What were Sci-Fi on? This was ana amzing show. All we get to wrap up the series is a mini-series, which is cool, but I did hear the plan was that they makers were looking to make it a 5 year series. The show worked so well and it seemed like they had a great plan for it as each year something new developed and storylines spread over multiple episodes. the characters had character! man! So gutted it got the axe. I'm looking forward to the Mini though. But I think anyone who liked it would have preferred another 22 episodes.

    Anyone who has not seen it just for the reason, "They never got around to it" like me, then I suggest you go check it out.

    FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4912/bowbannereq7.jpg

    To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
    from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

    Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace


  2. #2
    Major DownFallAngel's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    [Purgatory.]
    Posts
    2,884

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    What they should do is re-shoot the 4th season, then shoot the 5th season.

  3. #3
    Second Lieutenant TechnoBoY's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Why would you reshoot the 4th season? Anyways, yeah Farscape kicks ass. Bwahaha!
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
    http://www.cathairstudios.com/farsca...banner_one.jpg

  4. #4
    Second Lieutenant Lugal's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    The excuse they gave was declining ratings (Which I think was caused by the "death of the week" in season 3). The cost of the show was such that they used that to use a opt out of their contract and cancel the show.

  5. #5
    Chief Master Sergeant FieryHands's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have no frelling idea! *runs in a circle screami
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Season 4 is a bit of an odd season--there's a lot of "loved it/hated it" in regards to it, but I enjoyed it, even if Twice Shy drove me crazy with its blatant Red Dwarf plot. Some episodes (PM, MaA) were weak or at least, could have been a little better, but there are too many greats, like JQ and Kansas. My biggest gripe though is that Aeryn's hair looked as fake as it was and her pulling it back made it look worse.

    Yeah, they did kill everyone who hadn't already died in season 3, but its Farscape. Death is a staple. The season premiere ep was called "Season of Death" so obviously there was some foreshadowing.

    Too true though, a season 5 would be ideal, but PK Wars looks like its going to be mindblowingly awesome, so I'll settle for that.

  6. #6
    Major DownFallAngel's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    [Purgatory.]
    Posts
    2,884

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    The reason they should reshoot season 4, is because it was rushed.

    Season 4 and 5 were combined into the present season 4. It made almost no sense. If PEACEKEEPER WAR does well, which it will, they should reshoot season 4, make the correct season 5, and maybe think about a 6th season.

  7. #7
    Chief Master Sergeant FieryHands's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have no frelling idea! *runs in a circle screami
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    I don't think so, season five had been planned but the cast and crew didn't know about the cancellation till literally they were filming the last scene--which I think is from "Constellation of Doubt", Aeryn making a sandwich. It had been assumed they would be coming back. The show wasn't rushed to cram in as much as possible, because they had no idea they'd need to. The problem was that things were left out--like mentioning that the crew had agreed to meet on Arnessk back in DWTB, which is why John wanted to go there and why Aeryn went there and found Scorpius instead. The season had its problems, but I don't think that was related to rushing storylines when they already had dropped quite a few. They probably took what would have been season 5, dropped all the non essential stories, modified it some and turned it into PK Wars.

    Realistically if Farscape is coming back, it'll be in the form of a movie, another mini or in spinoff, so season 5 is out the window because the show had been intended to run 5 years and only made it to 4.

  8. #8
    Colonel Major Tyler's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Den Haag
    Posts
    6,038

    Talking Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Farscape is (one of) the best Sci-Fi series ever created!! I can't wait for the mini!

  9. #9
    Chief Master Sergeant Manic's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    When I initially saw this show, the bad lighting, directing, and camera work prevented me from watching more than 5 minutes of it. However, I hear a lot of good things about it. So I guess, if I'm ever gonna see this show, I'll have to look past the hack directors and see it for the acclaimed story.
    It's a Fargate! It's different.

  10. #10
    Chief Master Sergeant FieryHands's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have no frelling idea! *runs in a circle screami
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Quote Originally Posted by JQuinn
    When I initially saw this show, the bad lighting, directing, and camera work prevented me from watching more than 5 minutes of it. However, I hear a lot of good things about it. So I guess, if I'm ever gonna see this show, I'll have to look past the hack directors and see it for the acclaimed story.
    Interesting. What episode did you see?

  11. #11
    Chief Master Sergeant Manic's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Quote Originally Posted by FieryHands
    Interesting. What episode did you see?
    I have an odd feeling that was a challenge to my statement about Farscape having a bad director, so I'll just elaborate...

    For one thing, it wasn't just one episode. It's been several episodes over the past few months. I would be surfing through the channels, see Farscape was on, and try to watch it. However, I just have a problem with the lighting and camera work. I understand that some people like the lighting, but it just bothers me. It feels like the stage lighting on a talk show, sitcom, or something filmed live in front of an audience. When I first saw the show (before I'd heard anything about it), I thought it was made in the late 1980's. It just doesn't sit right with me.
    It's a Fargate! It's different.

  12. #12
    First Lieutenant ibwolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Quote Originally Posted by DownFallAngel
    The reason they should reshoot season 4, is because it was rushed.

    Season 4 and 5 were combined into the present season 4. It made almost no sense. If PEACEKEEPER WAR does well, which it will, they should reshoot season 4, make the correct season 5, and maybe think about a 6th season.
    That is just plain wrong. They got a contract for season 4 and 5. They took the oppertunity to plan out both seasons in advanced and then went to work producing season 4. No rush was involved. Around the time when they were wrapping up the last episode of season 4 (I think it was almost literally on the last day of shooting) SciFi tells them that it is opting out of the 5th season and cites declining ratings as a reason.

    Up until that point everyone was assuming that there would be a season 5. In fact only the first half of season 4 had been shown and it would be almost six months until the series finished airing on SciFi.

    So clearly no rush on season 4. Peacekeeper Wars is meant to cover the essential arc that was planned for season 5. Of course it will be drastically reduced in scale but that is unavoidable given the circumstances.

  13. #13
    Second Lieutenant Indiana's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Quote Originally Posted by JQuinn
    I have an odd feeling that was a challenge to my statement about Farscape having a bad director, so I'll just elaborate...

    For one thing, it wasn't just one episode. It's been several episodes over the past few months. I would be surfing through the channels, see Farscape was on, and try to watch it. However, I just have a problem with the lighting and camera work. I understand that some people like the lighting, but it just bothers me. It feels like the stage lighting on a talk show, sitcom, or something filmed live in front of an audience. When I first saw the show (before I'd heard anything about it), I thought it was made in the late 1980's. It just doesn't sit right with me.
    I get you. In the 1st season it's not that it was bad lighting or bad camera work, but it was just the quality of what was used to shoot it. Some shows such as Stargate are shot on 35mm film (16mm in the early days). Farscape appears to be shot on Digital video or something of not the highest standard. However, after a while they do move on to something of a better quality. Perhaps they went on to shoot on 16 or 35mm.

    When I 1st saw the Pilot I thought "man that looks strange, what was shot on? Video? That ships SFX don't look too great. They're good I suppose, but not that realistic. I've seen better." I think the SFX not being that photorealistic in the beginning and the poor Camera work could turn away the sensitve viewer, but I did enjoy the storylines and characters so I kept on watching. I loved the action set pieces. Despite all of their low budgetings they always managed to do action well. The camera was always moving and was placed in multiple places there was always excitement, which is strange because you would think "Smaller budget - crappier action, bigger budget - better action". The SFX may never have been top quality, but they always put a lot of SFX in and slowy improved upon it.

    The drama of the show is unparalled to anything, in fact I'd compare the investments into the characters to that of Alias.

    Once you get into it the humour is great especially from Rygel. Wait to you see him on planet earth

    Def give it a chance tho. It's got one of the greatest villains on TV slo...Scorpius!

    FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4912/bowbannereq7.jpg

    To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
    from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

    Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace


  14. #14
    Brigadier General Madeleine's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    8,582

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Hell yeah!
    New Farscape is just such fantastic news. And although I've known for months now it's still 'news' because everyone spent so long speculating, hoping, not knowing and asking whether and when, that part of me doesn't quite believe it, so I'm still nicely surprised whenever anyone talks about the new Farscape stuff.

    Madeleine

  15. #15
    Chief Master Sergeant FieryHands's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have no frelling idea! *runs in a circle screami
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Actually, I was just wondering if you saw a particular episode where the camera movement/lightning came off wonky or something, but I see your point.

  16. #16
    Second Lieutenant TechnoBoY's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    I try to get a lot of my friends to watch and they get turned off because its "too weird". They too also said they could only watch about 5 minutes of it.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
    http://www.cathairstudios.com/farsca...banner_one.jpg

  17. #17
    Major aschen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    http://www.aschenwelt.com
    Posts
    2,237

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBoY
    I try to get a lot of my friends to watch and they get turned off because its "too weird". They too also said they could only watch about 5 minutes of it.
    Some people have no taste.

  18. #18
    Chief Master Sergeant Jonas's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Why did SCI-FI skip over "Kansas" and the next two episodes today? That ticked me as I'am a new Scaper (starting watching when they started showing the monthly blocks) and with the mini-series approaching I wanted to get caught up. Sure I got up to the series finale today, but still that ticked me off as I wanted to see Crichton on Earth. Frelling Sci-Fi!

  19. #19
    Lieutenant Colonel michelleb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Any ship, anywhere, lost on the ocean
    Posts
    3,054

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    i never watched farscape, mostly cos in uK it was shown on bbc2 at kiddie hour (cos only kids watch sci-fi) and hence was cut to pieces. but a friend lent me the dvds about a year ago..and it was amazing! the pop culture references, the brilliant aliens, innovative plots, aeryn soon (just for being aeryn soon) and more than a few ships. ships that actually worked and fitted into the plotlines. i didn't know about the ending until i saw it, a month ago. i couldn't believe it. i screamed at the screen. there were swear words involved. on the one hand, it was a brilliant way to end (hey, i'm a big fan of the kill them all endings, one of my first fave sci-fi shows was blake's seven), but on the other hand..relieved to know there was a mini-series coming up.

    and that's my farscape babble done with.

  20. #20
    First Lieutenant ibwolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Farscape! Can I have a "Hell yeah!"

    Quote Originally Posted by michelleb
    i never watched farscape, mostly cos in uK it was shown on bbc2 at kiddie hour (cos only kids watch sci-fi) and hence was cut to pieces. but a friend lent me the dvds about a year ago..and it was amazing! the pop culture references, the brilliant aliens, innovative plots, aeryn soon (just for being aeryn soon) and more than a few ships. ships that actually worked and fitted into the plotlines. i didn't know about the ending until i saw it, a month ago. i couldn't believe it. i screamed at the screen. there were swear words involved. on the one hand, it was a brilliant way to end (hey, i'm a big fan of the kill them all endings, one of my first fave sci-fi shows was blake's seven), but on the other hand..relieved to know there was a mini-series coming up.
    If you didn't know in advance that it was going to end with a cliffhanger I can understand you being a little upset.

    Back before the mini series was confirmed I had the last DVD sitting on my shelf for at least two months before I finally gave in and watched that last episode, knowing that it would end in a cliffhanger. Thank god that there is going to be a resolution.

    Oh, and it's Aeryn Sun, btw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Farscape Interviews/Stories/Media Coverage
    By morjana in forum Farscape
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: January 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
  2. Stargate vs. Farscape animosity
    By gange57 in forum Farscape
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: September 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
  3. SciFi Channel reruns all the Farscape episodes
    By morjana in forum Farscape
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: August 27th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •