No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet deal, Norrin. I love in progress pics, I learn so much. Also reminds me that I still want to pick up the 300 figures.

Could I ask what primer/paint combo you use in general? I’m still experimenting with brands myself.
    Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
      Sweet deal, Norrin. I love in progress pics, I learn so much. Also reminds me that I still want to pick up the 300 figures.

Could I ask what primer/paint combo you use in general? I’m still experimenting with brands myself.
      For Primer I just use the .97 cent grey spray can @ Wal-Mart.
      Most of my other paints are in the craft section at the same store. I forget the brand names, but they have 3 different kinds. I’ll check & post the name later.
      But for any metallic needs (Gold, Silver, Bronze) I use the type you can see in the second pic. Sophisticated Finishes. I find the at Michels, a craft store. They turn out much better than any other paints I’ve tried for that purpose.
      Originally posted by roll my blues
      do Sam's breasts look bigger than in previous prototypes?

Comment

Does anybody know the actual color of the US Air force uniforms, as worn in Stargate. I know they are "blue", but can anyone be more specific. I have a General Jack that I want to customize. Many Thanks.

NH

Comment

Originally posted by Nerf Herder View Post
          Does anybody know the actual color of the US Air force uniforms, as worn in Stargate. I know they are "blue", but can anyone be more specific. I have a General Jack that I want to customize. Many Thanks.

NH
          Are you talking about the BDU uniforms? The ones in the show are bleached or were washed heavily. You can find BDU uniforms at bdu.com or other places but only in a navy blue. You will have to wash it to get that lighter blue color.

If you are going to paint a General Jack then you are going to have to mix some colors to get the proper combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Norrin View Post
            For Primer I just use the .97 cent grey spray can @ Wal-Mart.
            Most of my other paints are in the craft section at the same store. I forget the brand names, but they have 3 different kinds. I’ll check & post the name later.
            But for any metallic needs (Gold, Silver, Bronze) I use the type you can see in the second pic. Sophisticated Finishes. I find the at Michels, a craft store. They turn out much better than any other paints I’ve tried for that purpose.
            Hahahaha, of all the stores I've checked out it never occured to me to browse through Walmart. I guess they do have everything.

Thanks for all the info, really helps.
            Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
              Are you talking about the BDU uniforms? The ones in the show are bleached or were washed heavily. You can find BDU uniforms at bdu.com or other places but only in a navy blue. You will have to wash it to get that lighter blue color.

If you are going to paint a General Jack then you are going to have to mix some colors to get the proper combination.
              Thanks for this. Yes, I was talking about the BDU uniforms. Will give it my best shot!

NH

Comment

Here's my entire custom black ops team ready to go offworld

Comment

Custom Fodder Alert!
                  Looks like Jean St. Jean Studios is doing a series of Battlestar Galactica figures:

http://timespacetoys.stores.yahoo.net/capncrunch.html
                  http://timespacetoys.stores.yahoo.net/prmogacasixa.html

Maybe a good base figure for Osiris?

What do ya’ think?

Comment

OOOOOOO, I read these figures were on the way but I'm glad to see some concrete info. Potential for lots of customs both ways. That body looks very useful (haha, and I do mean that in a clean way). Mint face scult, really looks like Tricia Helfer. Why can't they make Carter's figure look like Amanda? Haha.

Hey Norrin. Sorry to keep pestering you but I've got another question if you don't mind. After you've disassembled your figure, primed and painted, how do you put it back together without damaging the paint? Do you use some sort of sealer after painting?
                    Last edited by roll my blues; 04 May 2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,
                      I have been doing some customizing as well. I am doing a Season 10 Black Ops team and have my initial coat of paint for Mitchell, Vala and Carter. I am dissappointed that the DST Black Ops figures have no shoulder patches.
                      I saw the DST news about the Desert Camo SG-1 set (wave 4). It looks pretty good, except I am dissapointed Carter will have a T shirt and not a desert jacket like the rest of the team. The best news is that Jonas Quinn is the Previews 5th figure. That will be nice.

Comment

Hey Norrin. Sorry to keep pestering you but I've got another question if you don't mind. After you've disassembled your figure, primed and painted, how do you put it back together without damaging the paint? Do you use some sort of sealer after painting?
                        No problem, Glad to answer any questions I can.
                        I usually don’t put sealer on a figure until after it’s re assembled.
                        Just put the parts back together as carefully as possible, they should pop right back together.
                        If you have a difficult joint put some sort of lubricant (spit…) on it, and use a cloth to hold the two parts to protect the paint if you have to use pliers.
                        Then for sealant I use a Clear Cote spray. But be careful… It comes in Gloss and Matte.
                        I spent two weeks doing a detailed paint job on one project then ruined it by sealing it “Gloss”.
                        Now the figure looks perpetually wet……

Originally posted by SeraphimDavid View Post
                        Hey guys,
                        I have been doing some customizing as well. I am doing a Season 10 Black Ops team and have my initial coat of paint for Mitchell, Vala and Carter.
                        I am disappointed that the DST Black Ops figures have no shoulder patches.
                        I’ve been thinking about this. It is possible to make decals (like on model airplanes) using your computer & printer and special decal paper.
                        I’ve used them before on other projects, but someone else had made them up for me.
                        I’ve never printed a sheet myself.
                        But if someone has detailed pics of the shoulder patches, I’ll see if I can resize them and try to come up with something.
                        I could probably make up name tags for the blue suit versions as well……

Comment

Thanks again for all the info Norrin. I've got Carter in pieces right now. I'm having way too much fun with this.

If you're looking for shoulder patch images, Brands of the World has a couple including an Air Force logo that would work. I have a couple more myself which should look fine when printed up at that size. Let me know if you need em and I'll dig through my files.

Comment

I've got Carter in pieces right now. I'm having way too much fun with this.
                            You know, if someone is reading this and knows nothing to zero what we are talking about - he will think we're all gone nuts

And to all the others that posted pictures: Your'e incredible! These are so good. I never thought that I would start to play with puppets (sorry, wrong word, I know) again, but here I am...
                            Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                              You know, if someone is reading this and knows nothing to zero what we are talking about - he will think we're all gone nuts
                              Hahahahaha! You're so right.

Comment

Thanks again for all the info Norrin. I've got Carter in pieces right now. I'm having way too much fun with this.

If you're looking for shoulder patch images, Brands of the World has a couple including an Air Force logo that would work. I have a couple more myself which should look fine when printed up at that size. Let me know if you need em and I'll dig through my files.
                                Found the patches >

Now all I have to do is make them the right size.
                                And in the same file I’ll try to make up some name tags as well.
                                Can anybody think of anything else I should add?
                                Rank Insignia? Any other Logos?

Comment

Working...
                                X