Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Thread For Custom Figures

Hi all,

I've seen a few neat pictures of figures with head swaps, but has anyone made any truly custom figures? I saw a gold armor Apophis on Ebay a couple of months ago but nothing since.

If you made any customs post them here

Great thread, I was hoping for something like this. I'm sorry I missed seeing a pic of that Apophis. I wasn't feeling quite ambitious enough to tackle the idea but if it turned out well it might have swayed me.

I was also thinking (thinking, mind you) that a dessert camo repaint, of Teal'c let's say, wouldn't be terribly complicated.

Judging by the prototype, it looks to be the same body of green Teal'c and since there are no immediate plans to produce the figure.... On the other hand, it has been a while since I've done any figure customization and my skills weren't all that hot anyway.
    Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Great Idea for a thread!
      I have a few that I'm planing on doing.
      But I'll wait 'till I have pics to post...
      Originally posted by roll my blues
      do Sam's breasts look bigger than in previous prototypes?

Comment

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
        Great thread, I was hoping for something like this. I'm sorry I missed seeing a pic of that Apophis. I wasn't feeling quite ambitious enough to tackle the idea but if it turned out well it might have swayed me.

I was also thinking (thinking, mind you) that a dessert camo repaint, of Teal'c let's say, wouldn't be terribly complicated.

Judging by the prototype, it looks to be the same body of green Teal'c and since there are no immediate plans to produce the figure.... On the other hand, it has been a while since I've done any figure customization and my skills weren't all that hot anyway.
        I hope DST will tone down that darker color on the desert uniforms.
        I don't recall this pic, thanks for posting.

Comment

Great idea for a thread

Unfortunately, Im terrible at things like this and so wont be customising any of mine but would love to see what other people can do

Comment

Hi,
            Long time lurker, first time poster- so I hope this works.
            Here are some of my custom SG-1 figures.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/7686408@N05/450407012/
            Nothing fancy, just some head/body part swaps and a fresh coat of paint here and there.

Comment

^ Very nice!
              Love the blue BDUs you gave O'neill and Teal'c.
              What kind of paint did you use?

Comment

Thanks for the posts.

I really like the black-op Samantha Carter figure you made.

The blue Jack and Teal'c also look good.

Is there a specific kind of paint that works well for figures?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments!

The black ops figures are painted with Testors flat black acrylic paint. For the blue bdu's, I mixed together navy blue, black, and white Testors enamel paints until I got a shade close to the bdu color seen on the show.

In my experience, acrylic paints seem to work well with any figures you want to paint. They go on easy, stay on, and you don't wind up with a sticky dust magnet.

Enamels on the other hand tend to never fully dry, and you sometimes end up with a really shiny sticky figure. Unfortunately, enamels usually have more of a color selection to choose from.

I will hand it to DST though. Both acrylic and enamel paints adhere rather well to whatever material they used to make the Stargate figures. This and the ease with which body parts can be swapped make customizing figures a breeze!

Hope this helps.

Comment

That is awesome.

Again, LOVE the Black-Ops and Blue BDU figures.

Fantastic work. Thanks for sharing.
                    Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Originally posted by replicator79 View Post
                      Thanks for the kind comments!

The black ops figures are painted with Testors flat black acrylic paint. For the blue bdu's, I mixed together navy blue, black, and white Testors enamel paints until I got a shade close to the bdu color seen on the show.

In my experience, acrylic paints seem to work well with any figures you want to paint. They go on easy, stay on, and you don't wind up with a sticky dust magnet.

Enamels on the other hand tend to never fully dry, and you sometimes end up with a really shiny sticky figure. Unfortunately, enamels usually have more of a color selection to choose from.

I will hand it to DST though. Both acrylic and enamel paints adhere rather well to whatever material they used to make the Stargate figures. This and the ease with which body parts can be swapped make customizing figures a breeze!

Hope this helps.
                      Thank you for the tip, Testors paints are easy to find.
                      As to the head swaps, did you boil the heads in water and pop the off? I have heard other people have done this. My experience is limited with this customizing. If you did, how long did you boil the heads for before trying to pop it off?

Comment

Replicator79,

Did you touch up the wrinkles on Daniel's Face? I did not like them in the first place, and your Daniel looks much better without them. Also, I love the hip-mounted zats! Any plans to modify your gates?
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh man! I missed seeing the zat holders. Mint. And I love Jack's sunglasses. Those aren't Daniel's with painted lens are they?

Comment

HirogenGater,

Boiling and poping body parts is fun and easy. I usually nuke a coffee cup of water for 2 minutes in the microwave. Then I take whatever needs poping, dunk it in the cup, and let it sit for 30 seconds or so. This is usually long enough to soften whatever plastic parts I need to remove. Then I just take the part out of the water (watching out for lingering hot water!), give the piece I want to separate a little force, and it usually pops right off. If it doesn't want to separate easily, you can just put it back in the cup of hot water and let it sit for a little while longer.

Roddy_McKay,

I did not touch up the wrinkles on Daniel's face. In fact, I never really noticed he had wrinkles to begin with. Must just be my camera. As for modifying my gates, I do have some ideas. I really want to make an offworld gate diorama when the DHD is released. I have an event horizon on one of my gates now, and want to add an iris to another.

roll my blues,

Guilty as charged- Jack's sunglasses are indeed Daniel's glasses with painted lenses. Not entirely show accurate mind you, but they work for me.

Thanks for the questions and positive feedback. I can't wait till series 3 comes out and I have more custom fodder. My black ops season 10 team will finally be complete!

Comment

With all this talk of customs, I finally got around to creating some.

Here is my Offworld T-shirt O'Neill as seen in "It's Good to be the King" and my Black Ops O'Neill in his proper black ballcap as seen in "Within the Serpents Grasp". My next project will be a Black Ops Daniel. If anyone has any extra General O'Neill, Offworld and Black Ops Tealc, and Sam Carter figures please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X