Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Airman

Default Re: A Thread For Custom Figures

Quote Originally Posted by HirogenGater View Post
    Are you talking about the BDU uniforms? The ones in the show are bleached or were washed heavily. You can find BDU uniforms at bdu.com or other places but only in a navy blue. You will have to wash it to get that lighter blue color.

If you are going to paint a General Jack then you are going to have to mix some colors to get the proper combination.
    Thanks for this. Yes, I was talking about the BDU uniforms. Will give it my best shot!

NH

Staff Sergeant

Here's my entire custom black ops team ready to go offworld

Custom Fodder Alert!
    Looks like Jean St. Jean Studios is doing a series of Battlestar Galactica figures:

http://timespacetoys.stores.yahoo.net/capncrunch.html
    http://timespacetoys.stores.yahoo.net/prmogacasixa.html

Maybe a good base figure for Osiris?

What do ya’ think?

Second Lieutenant roll my blues's Avatar

OOOOOOO, I read these figures were on the way but I'm glad to see some concrete info. Potential for lots of customs both ways. That body looks very useful (haha, and I do mean that in a clean way). Mint face scult, really looks like Tricia Helfer. Why can't they make Carter's figure look like Amanda? Haha.

Hey Norrin. Sorry to keep pestering you but I've got another question if you don't mind. After you've disassembled your figure, primed and painted, how do you put it back together without damaging the paint? Do you use some sort of sealer after painting?
    Last edited by roll my blues; May 4th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.

Hey guys,
    I have been doing some customizing as well. I am doing a Season 10 Black Ops team and have my initial coat of paint for Mitchell, Vala and Carter. I am dissappointed that the DST Black Ops figures have no shoulder patches.
    I saw the DST news about the Desert Camo SG-1 set (wave 4). It looks pretty good, except I am dissapointed Carter will have a T shirt and not a desert jacket like the rest of the team. The best news is that Jonas Quinn is the Previews 5th figure. That will be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by roll my blues View Post
    Hey Norrin. Sorry to keep pestering you but I've got another question if you don't mind. After you've disassembled your figure, primed and painted, how do you put it back together without damaging the paint? Do you use some sort of sealer after painting?
    No problem, Glad to answer any questions I can.
    I usually don’t put sealer on a figure until after it’s re assembled.
    Just put the parts back together as carefully as possible, they should pop right back together.
    If you have a difficult joint put some sort of lubricant (spit…) on it, and use a cloth to hold the two parts to protect the paint if you have to use pliers.
    Then for sealant I use a Clear Cote spray. But be careful… It comes in Gloss and Matte.
    I spent two weeks doing a detailed paint job on one project then ruined it by sealing it “Gloss”.
    Now the figure looks perpetually wet……

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimDavid View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have been doing some customizing as well. I am doing a Season 10 Black Ops team and have my initial coat of paint for Mitchell, Vala and Carter.
    I am disappointed that the DST Black Ops figures have no shoulder patches.
    I’ve been thinking about this. It is possible to make decals (like on model airplanes) using your computer & printer and special decal paper.
    I’ve used them before on other projects, but someone else had made them up for me.
    I’ve never printed a sheet myself.
    But if someone has detailed pics of the shoulder patches, I’ll see if I can resize them and try to come up with something.
    I could probably make up name tags for the blue suit versions as well……

Thanks again for all the info Norrin. I've got Carter in pieces right now. I'm having way too much fun with this.

If you're looking for shoulder patch images, Brands of the World has a couple including an Air Force logo that would work. I have a couple more myself which should look fine when printed up at that size. Let me know if you need em and I'll dig through my files.

First Lieutenant

I've got Carter in pieces right now. I'm having way too much fun with this.
    You know, if someone is reading this and knows nothing to zero what we are talking about - he will think we're all gone nuts

And to all the others that posted pictures: Your'e incredible! These are so good. I never thought that I would start to play with puppets (sorry, wrong word, I know) again, but here I am...

Quote Originally Posted by GermanAstra View Post
    You know, if someone is reading this and knows nothing to zero what we are talking about - he will think we're all gone nuts
    Hahahahaha! You're so right.

Thanks again for all the info Norrin. I've got Carter in pieces right now. I'm having way too much fun with this.

If you're looking for shoulder patch images, Brands of the World has a couple including an Air Force logo that would work. I have a couple more myself which should look fine when printed up at that size. Let me know if you need em and I'll dig through my files.
    Found the patches >

Now all I have to do is make them the right size.
    And in the same file I’ll try to make up some name tags as well.
    Can anybody think of anything else I should add?
    Rank Insignia? Any other Logos?

Beckett Re: A Thread For Custom Figures

There is a patch missing Norrin! - For Mitchell, Carter and O'Neill will need the Air Force wings badge too, which is smaller than the others.
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Staff Sergeant

I always wondered why the figures didn't have the air force patch. Maybe because that would require permission from the air force themselves?

Daniel and Teal'c wear the air force wings patch as well. Not sure if Vala eventually does. Have to go back and watch.

It's probably because they haven't worn the airforce badges all the time?

Thanks for bringing up the decals. Yes, I do this. I have had an SG-1 and SG-3 team for a while now in 12" Dragon action figures. I shrank down my own patches on my Mac. I scanned them in and figured out the size in 1/6 scale and then in Photoshop changed the size.
    Decal paper for your inkjet printer is available at Staples. Do any of your guys know the official scale of the DST figures. I am guessing 1/10 scale, because 1/9 looks a bit bigger. I have some old WWII figure kits I customized and painted up and they look like a larger guy when lined up with the SG-1 figures. If we know for sure they are 1/10, you can take a scan of real patches and just divide by ten to get the proper size for the decals, or you can measure them on the figures - probably easier....LOL. I go with Millimeters for accurate size in Photoshop.

Hey, I propose a new topic of discussion here as well - our favorite as yet released figure by DST. Only one vote each, so that way everyone can put there choice and still have plenty to pick from.
    My choice, hands down is the Kull Warriors / Super Soldiers of Anubis. I really hope they do one. I'll buy like 4 and have them around Anubis after I get him in June (according to the expected release date).

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimDavid View Post
    Hey, I propose a new topic of discussion here as well - our favorite as yet released figure by DST. Only one vote each, so that way everyone can put there choice and still have plenty to pick from.
    My choice, hands down is the Kull Warriors / Super Soldiers of Anubis. I really hope they do one. I'll buy like 4 and have them around Anubis after I get him in June (according to the expected release date).

There's already a thread for that somewhere. lol

Plus, we should keep it seperate, so there's a difference between figures we want and figures we intend to make.

Quote Originally Posted by replicator79 View Post
    Here's my entire custom black ops team ready to go offworld

Looks real good replicator79.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
    There is a patch missing Norrin! - For Mitchell, Carter and O'Neill will need the Air Force wings badge too, which is smaller than the others.
    Ok Good!
    But where? Is it above the pocket or on the shoulders(like a Rank)?
    While we're at it, does any one have any good sites of Screen Caps for research?
    I found this one but it only has the first few seasons –

Beckett Re: A Thread For Custom Figures

Quote Originally Posted by Norrin View Post
    Ok Good!
    But where? Is it above the pocket or on the shoulders(like a Rank)?
    While we're at it, does any one have any good sites of Screen Caps for research?
    I found this one but it only has the first few seasons –

Annoyingly I can't find a decent pic at present (I am at work, but you can find it on Ebay listings) it is a pair of upturned
    wings on a black disc that is smaller than the SG1 patch. It is worn under that patch on the right sleeve. There is also a
    medical star version of this smaller patch that Dr Frasier would wear. - There are also army and navy variants as well, although
    I don't know if they were used in the series.
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Attached below is a pic of Daniel wearing the Air Force patch.

I wish I could help you with the screencaps but the closest I've found is this but its not complete and not always episode specific.

http://scifi.about.com/blstargatepix1.htm

I've got to go back to the DVDs again myself. I've forgotten so many details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here it is:

and a upclose pic of the patch:

hope this helps.
    "Daniel?"
    "For crying out loud!!"
    "Roddney?"
    "now get your ass back to work and fix those damn engines!!"