The Allure of Atlas (317)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "The Allure of Atlas"

"The Allure of Atlas"
    Ep: 3.17
    Release Date: April 5, 2007
    Story by Mike Coakley
    Teleplay by Cindy Clark

Horizon-1 finds and pays a visit to an inhabited Ancient city, when one of the city's inhabitants shows a strange interest in Tom.
    Outstanding
    10.00%
    Good
    60.00%
    Fair
    30.00%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    0.00%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Once again, it's Thursday. And this week we have a more old fashioned Stargate-style story headed your way, before we kick off the final seven episodes of the season.

You can download "The Allure of Atlas" by clicking on the following link:

http://uk.geocities.com/alex_stargat...e_of_atlas.pdf

Enjoy!
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

A light and average ep to my taste.

Predictable story. By mid to end of act one I figured how the ep would end (The blue shimmering description gave it away). One funny and interesting conflict would have been Sivok appearing in the ep.

The ep flow was better than most eps but the story felt simplistic and a bit of a cliche.

To summarize, Horizon now has a pool table, Chuck is a chit-chat master and there is a new "threat" on a flying ancient city. Though I fail to see the novokians (Sounds like novocaine, novocaine addicts?) as a real threat.

A plus was the Kirk reference, very funny. But that is outweighted by the minuses: the names (On Remala, I don't know if intentional but in [bad] spanish that means über-bad, über-bad city?), the Destiny direct reference (Not a good thing if Destiny dies and Horizon continues) completely unnecesary, the shimmering blue stuff (There is enough shimmering stuff already) and naming it "Phasita"... too similar to Phaser.

A definately change from last ep, and the light ep maybe is a good thing to prepare us for the final arc.

*1/2
      Last edited by jmm; 05 April 2007, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Predictable story. By mid to end of act one I figured how the ep would end (The blue shimmering description gave it away). One funny and interesting conflict would have been Sivok appearing in the ep.

The ep flow was better than most eps but the story felt simplistic and a bit of a cliche.
        Yeah, it might have been a bit predictable, but I suppose that's the nature of the episode. The finale should have (what I believe to be) a few surprises. Glad you liked the episode despite its simplicity.

As for Sivok, I wish, but there's obviously not enough time. We are looking to weave him into more than just two parters and finales new season.

Though I fail to see the novokians (Sounds like novocaine, novocaine addicts?) as a real threat.
        Really, they aren't too much of a threat. We haven't heard from them until now, and we don't even know if they force people to join them or if they're more passive. Thus, we may or may not see them again.

A plus was the Kirk reference, very funny. But that is outweighted by the minuses: the names (On Remala, I don't know if intentional but in [bad] spanish that means über-bad, über-bad city?), the Destiny direct reference (Not a good thing if Destiny dies and Horizon continues) completely unnecesary, the shimmering blue stuff (There is enough shimmering stuff already) and naming it "Phasita"... too similar to Phaser.
        As for Remala, I actually didn't know that. I'm not sure who came up with what names, but Remala's true meaning is unintentional but perhaps fitting or ironic. It's already been established that Destiny and Horizon are in the same universe (SGD 1.01 and SGH 3.12), and Destiny seems to be going strong. So I don't imagine it'll hurt. As for Phasita, it's a combination of two latin words that describes its function, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are.
        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
        Stargate Destiny, Fan
        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Destiny's still going, that much is for certain. Things are just moving a bit slowly, to the best of my knowledge anyway.

That was actually a pretty decent episode. I liked it. I didn't really see it coming, actually. It did feel like an SG-1 episode. The concept was nice. It was a return to sci-fi. A fun read.

**1/2

Comment

Horizon has featured it's fair share of Destiny references. And so has Destiny with Horizon. It's nothing new. And don't worry, Season 2 will be finding it's way onto your Adobe Reader. Anyway, the consenious on this episode is pretty much the same.

I thought it was a fun little sci-fi romp. Your typical, predicatable, fun episode which every series should have one of each season. And I thought Cindy Clark did a fantastic job with it. I rather enjoyed the idea behind the Novakians, and it was really nice to see another city. Felt nice seeing those Atlantis sets in my head.

I was a little disappointed at the lack of references to the Valiants destruction in the previous episode. I had been hoping for more fall out. Plus, I hope we see some fallout from this episode. Perhaps a distrust of women for Tom - Going gay/bi could be interesting. Also, when the ZPM was removed, the shields should have shut down and killed everyone on board. So that was a little hiccup on your part.

I found the escape to be lackluster too. Did they really beam all the way back to the planet...?

Anyway. Fun little scifi adventure. I enjoyed reading. I found Cindy Clark's writing very flowing and the voices sounded right. So nice work. What has she written before?
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I was a little disappointed at the lack of references to the Valiants destruction in the previous episode. I had been hoping for more fall out. Plus, I hope we see some fallout from this episode. Perhaps a distrust of women for Tom - Going gay/bi could be interesting. Also, when the ZPM was removed, the shields should have shut down and killed everyone on board. So that was a little hiccup on your part.

I found the escape to be lackluster too. Did they really beam all the way back to the planet...?
              In regards to the Valiant, in retrospect perhaps we didn't make the fallout big enough. It could always come into play season four, and this is probably because we had different plans for the Valiant in 3.16 (not sure if I'm allowed to divulge them).

As for the ZPM, I believe (I didn't pay too much attention in the script, but in the outline I know it was this way) the city had not yet left the atmosphere of the planet. Thus, lowering the shields wouldn't kill everyone and they were still in beaming distance from the planet. There was an older ending that involved a Puddle Jumper, but we didn't have the time to make it work.

Anyway. Fun little scifi adventure. I enjoyed reading. I found Cindy Clark's writing very flowing and the voices sounded right. So nice work. What has she written before?
              Aside from "Trepidation," she's a pretty heavy novel writer. I'm not sure, but I think 3.06 was the first time she ventured into scripts.

Thanks for the comments folk. Seven episode finale arc starts next week, and we appreciate the compliments and criticisms given over the course of the main season.
              Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

It was a smooth episode, to say the least. I liked that the fact that could have fun with it.
                These novockians remind me of the borg in a way.

I think it was an average episode, good though, but not every one of them can be the best. After all, this is Her first episode.

I give it
                **1/2
                [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                HARRIMAN
                I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                HARRIMAN
                So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Second episode, actually. She also wrote "Trepidation" (306). Glad you enjoyed it though, and I agree with the popular notion that this episode was nothing extremely earth-shattering, but a good old-fashioned romp through the gate with a few complications along the way.
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1 View Post
                    Second episode, actually. She also wrote "Trepidation" (306). Glad you enjoyed it though, and I agree with the popular notion that this episode was nothing extremely earth-shattering, but a good old-fashioned romp through the gate with a few complications along the way.
                    Oh, well then...Trepidation you say? That was a good one as well.
                    [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                    HARRIMAN
                    I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                    [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                    HARRIMAN
                    So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Having just finished re-reading this I think my favorite part of this episode was the banter and the dialogue. It just felt so Atlantis when reading it. It felt Stargate. But other than that, it wasn't a particularly huge episode but that's not that bad of a thing.

Again, the most disappointing feature was that there was no mention of the previous episode which is highly unlike Horizon. I think out of the entire series, the lack of fallout regarding the previous episode is my biggest disappointment.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                      X