This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid season two-parter - Pre Airing Discussion and speculation

It's a little early I know, especially considering we don't have any spoilers, heck even rumours about the episodes but we do know one thing, Joe Mallozzi is writing this one himself. Which makes a change from the usual Martin Gero cliffhangers, not that I don't love Martin's stuff but alittle change now and again never hurt anyone. Mallozzi has said that the episodes will be unlike any Atlantis 2-parters so far...

So how do people feel about this, Joe Mallozzi reputation as a writer especially for Atlantis has taken a knocking recently. 2 high profile cases are the episodes, "The Tower" and "Irresponsible" which alot of people flat out hate, he also wrote the episode "Misbegotten", which received alot of criticism. However Mallozzi has also been responsible for some solid if less notorius episodes aswell such as Suspicion, Home, Siege Part 2, and Intruder

What do people think?
    For me I'm feeling abit nervous about the whole thing Mallozzi wrote some great SG-1 stories over the years ("Window of Oppurtunity" for example) but his Atlantis writing career and some of his latest SG-1 stories have been dissapointing. Also the mid-season two parter is so important in bringing back an audience after the hiatus, especially this year with Atlantis striving to exist on its own without SG-1 as a running partner (cross promotion only help the show imo)
    sigpic

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
    It's a little early I know, especially considering we don't have any spoilers, heck even rumours about the episodes but we do know one thing, Joe Mallozzi is writing this one himself. Which makes a change from the usual Martin Gero cliffhangers, not that I don't love Martin's stuff but alittle change now and again never hurt anyone. Mallozzi has said that the episodes will be unlike any Atlantis 2-parters so far...

So how do people feel about this, Joe Mallozzi reputation as a writer especially for Atlantis has taken a knocking recently. 2 high profile cases are the episodes, "The Tower" and "Irresponsible" which alot of people flat out hate, he also wrote the episode "Misbegotten", which received alot of criticism. However Mallozzi has also been responsible for some solid if less notorius episodes aswell such as Suspicion, Home, Siege Part 2, and Intruder

What do people think?
    For me I'm feeling abit nervous about the whole thing Mallozzi wrote some great SG-1 stories over the years ("Window of Oppurtunity" for example) but his Atlantis writing career and some of his latest SG-1 stories have been dissapointing. Also the mid-season two parter is so important in bringing back an audience after the hiatus, especially this year with Atlantis striving to exist on its own without SG-1 as a running partner (cross promotion only help the show imo)
    Well I like Joe M's writting, though I do have a distaste to theman from time to time. I think his eps are usually very good so I think it will be fine.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Correction: Paul Mullie wrote both "The Tower" and "Misbegotten", and Joe detests how Irresponsible turned out (as do we all ).

Anyway, Joe is not the strongest writer, but he seems to do pretty well with mid-season 2 parters and season finales; case in point, "Camelot" and "The Quest"; so I'm not worried.

Comment

To be really accurate Paul Mullie and Joe Mallozzi wrote "The Tower" and "Misbegotten" together
        sigpic

Comment

Nope, according to Joe's blog, Mullie was responsible for both.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Of the scripts you've written, which in your opinion was the bigger disappointment The Tower or Irresponsible?”

Answer: 1) Paul wrote The Tower. 2) Far from being a disappointment, I actually liked The Tower. Granted, it was an atypical episode, but I thought Paul did a great job creating some very entertaining guest characters. 3) Irresponsible.
          For Misbegotten, you'll need to go search through Joe's old blog at Gateworld; however, I do remember a period of time when Mullie was trying different titles like "The Misbegotten" or "The Begotten" and so forth; therefore, it's logical to assume that he himself wrote it, and that Joe had as much to do with it as any of the other writers (that is to say, A LOT).

EDIT: Huh, that was easy; here are some passages from Joe's old blog showing that Paul wrote Misbegotten:

Paul's Atlantis script has been renamed once again, from The Begotten to, now, The Misbegotten. Chances are good it will have yet another title next week.
          Good news! Paul finally has a title for his script. Atlantis, episode 2: The Begotten. Quick, make it official before he changes his mind!
          After much discussion, Paul still doesn't have a name for the show's second episode. Potential titles have included: "Remnants", "Executive Decision" and, my favorite, "The Grapes of Wraith".
          Spoke to Paul and he's busy working on episode 2 of Atlantis, the one where Beckett finds himself "trapped in the asylum when the inmates take over". He says he's having a great time for "that Star Trek alumni" who will be making a first appearance on Atlantis.

Comment

To be really accurate Paul Mullie and Joe Mallozzi wrote "The Tower" and "Misbegotten" together
            They don't write many, if any, episodes together like they used too. Too busy.

Comment

According to Gateworld they wrote the episodes together
              sigpic

Comment

I'm not particularly worried, granted I'd be more confident if it was a Gero script but I have high hopes for season 4 and Joe really seems to have a clear idea of what to do with the season, so I'm remaining confident. Plus a big part of the story for these episodes was pitched by Brad Wright so I'm sure it will turn out great.
                'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

Ok so since that question was answered, what would all of you like to see in the mid season 2-parter? I would like either a very wide scale battle for Atlantis, or something involving lots of action and suspense in both episodes.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iambob View Post
                    Ok so since that question was answered, what would all of you like to see in the mid season 2-parter? I would like either a very wide scale battle for Atlantis, or something involving lots of action and suspense in both episodes.
                    I'd like to see the Wraith find us again in our new location, and while the Wraith are preparing for an assault the asurans come to destroy the Wraith and us.

Comment

According to Gateworld they wrote the episodes together
                      And according to the writer himself, they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        And according to the writer himself, they didn't.
                        *talks in oneill voice* Hmmm two conflicting statements? Odd.

Comment

I agree with before a large battle over Atlantis would be pretty sweet. One involving the deddy the apollo and maybe an Ancient ship or two. Maybe including both the Wraith and the Asurans at the same time.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
                            I agree with before a large battle over Atlantis would be pretty sweet. One involving the deddy the apollo and maybe an Ancient ship or two. Maybe including both the Wraith and the Asurans at the same time.
                            Thats exactly what I want to see.

Comment

Well out of 3 seasons 2 have had Atlantis in direct danger, and the other had a big honking space battle. So im sure its safe to assume it wont be SUNDAY 2, where we see what they do on their OTHER day off.

Comment

Working...
                              X