Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice thread guys!

I have to say that I agree with pretty much what everyone's been saying about the character and the actor. Both are really great role models.

I have to say that I really like being able to look at the first season and comparing Sam's characteristics to now. It's so cool to see what they did to start the character off, and how AT adapted the character over the years.

There was a bit of a chip on her shoulder (though not too large) in the beginning, but she proved to be a competent and integral member of the SGC.

By Season Two and ITLOD, it was clear that Sam had big things ahead of her. The characters are extraordinary, and Sam's extraordinary characteristics go beyond her intelligence, and right down to her soul. She's got a heart, and she really wants to do the right thing.

Having a character who is "next to perfection," but manages to maintain humility is awesome in my book. Sam has managed to show beauty, superb character, and intelligence that far surpasses that of the Classic SciFi bimbos (i.e. Anise, etc.).

Then you look at the actress, and it's no wonder that everyone loves her! When you have so many fans, co-stars, producers, etc., who openly compliment an actress, there's no doubt that it's all true. There's no doubt that she really is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And I think her genuine girl-next-door mentality totally translates on screen. She doesn't care if she's the most important person in the show, but she is willing to fight for the integrity of her character.

Sam is still the soldier WHO HAPPENS TO BE A WOMAN, but there's no mistaking the bond she has with these men. At the end of the day, I believe Daniel and Teal'c, her teammates, will always feel that brotherly obligation and privilege to protect Sam at all costs, and it's really sweet to know that the feeling is mutual and well-deserved.

While I am definitely a hardcore team fan, I have to say that AT/Sam are my favorite actor/character duo on television, because I can honestly watch her work and not wonder if, at the end of the day, she really is the kind of person she says she is. She truly does care, and she really is concerned about what we, as fans, think.

It has been really cool to see the character's transformation from a competent officer and scientist, with childlike awe, to a matured and somewhat weathered soldier and scientist, with an experienced outlook on life. She deserves the command she has been given, and she definitely deserves some happiness - no matter where that may be.... Although, I'd prefer it was with a certain General.

Again, great idea with the thread! Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      I love the fact that, well until chimera at least, sam wasn't written as the woman on the team...she was the team member who just happened to be a woman.
      I agree that it's fun to see sam exploring her feminine side...i still dont' care for just HOW they did it. I don't care for how this independent person all of a sudden turns into a doormat to fulfill society's idea of what she should be...but again, that's not sam, that's the writers.

I love the fact that she's a smart woman, who isn't afraid to be smart and isn't yet another scifi bimbo in a bikini and tight pants.
      I was just about to say this, but you said it much better, so I'm just going to use your quote!
      I'm just really annoyed that the writers have changed her character (badly, IMHO) and I just hope to goodness that they can make it to the end of S8 without completely obliterating the Sam we all know and love!
      sigpic

Comment

I really like Sam too ..even now because it's important to know that nobody is perfect and it's as equally important to see a professional person with its faults but I just read a post (Sacme) in GEMINI thread and it's true that they keep making Sam screwing up at the moment in all aspects of her life ...her love life is a mess and her professional life ...well..it was her fault in Gemini ..and now Replicarter has escaped ..and will want to destroy the Earth as they could have avoided that ..Jack was right ...He trusted Sam 100% and agreed too easily ....(probably- love).

Anyway I love the episode because AT did it again ...She was excellent in Entity and in line of duty , point of view and now in Gemini ..she again showed us that she is a talented actress who can change her attiude and body language according to who she plays .

Seeing Sam and RepliSam interacting to each other was fab ..and AT made the 2 Sam's completely different ..She is very versatile ...and that I like in acting ....not like Renee Zellwegger and Hugh Grant who seem to play the same characters in every one of their films (I don't even understand why they are so popular)....specially Renee Zellwegger ..I saw a few films with her ...and she always plays the same ...Am I the only one who hates her ??!!because all my friends seem to like her but I can't stand her .

AT on the contrary ..because of her versatility ( 2 more actresses I really like because of their versatility are Jodie Foster and Julianne Moore..so talented)is great ....I hope Amanda will have a future in movies and become a hollywood star ..she has it ..she just needs to show it ..I hope Gemini will get her an award for her acting .

As for Sam ..poor soul ..I suppose her life is a big shamble and why ?!! because her emotionnal feelings are impairing on her professional work ....If she had no feelings for Jack whatsoever ..I bet she would be doing an excellent job as a colonel ...but her mind is trying to deal with tons of different stuff ..in fact she is not happy ..and it reflects on her ability to be professionnal....so hopefully Sam will get a grip on her love life , sort it out .....be happy and let's get on with Stargate and her as a Colonel.

Saying that ...may be TPTB and the writers ...keep messing Sam on purpose so that she becomes a doctor scientist in season 9 only ..with a civilian Jack ..and no going off world ..unless absolutely necessary.!!!!because they seem to mess up a bit too much of Our Sam to let her be a colonel in season 9....may be... she'll give up or Jack will ask her to just become a scientist and work at the SGC.!!!I don't know but it seems a bit suspicious to me that TPTB keeps on having Sam messing up big time .

Well done AT on your fabulous work anywhere in Stargate ( the Jolinar arc was tremendous), and entity , point of view, in line of duty and now Gemini ..are all showing what a talented actress you are .

Caty
        Last edited by GateGipsy; 20 December 2004, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Sam was the thing that attracted me to Sg-1- I saw the ep with Cassie and I just loved it. Through the years Sam has changed and I think thats a great thing she's no longer trying to be one of the boys- she's accepted that she is a woman and I can't find any fault with what alot of people have been finding fault with recently I love Sam as much as I i did when I first started watching Sg-1 if not more. And yes Amanda is an amazing laydee!

Comment

My favorite "Sam" moments....

Singularity. Riding with Cassie in the elevator. Being unable to leave her. That scene breaks my heart everytime I watch it.

Solitudes. Trying to keep Jack alive. Working so hard to get them out. Climbing out of that hole just to see miles of snow and ice. Her quiet "I'm here Jack" when he calls for Sara. Just lovely stuff.

In the Line of Duty. Maybe Sam's best episode (to me). I loved the Jolinar arc and thought it introduced a whole new layer to Sam's character. The scene at the end - when she's laying in bed after Jolinar has died to save her. Just fabulous work from AT.

Tok'ra I&II. I've loved the arc with Sam's father Jacob. And the scenes when she tells Jacob what she really does (in the hospital room) and they go thru the gate together really touched me. I really felt that Sam was at last reassured that her father was proud of her.

Jolinar's Memories/Devil You Know. Again, part of the Jolinar arc and I loved what Sam went thru in Jolinar's Memories to help Martouf. I loved that they let Sam just be one of the gang and be tortured like everyone else. And again - great scenes with Jacob and Sam.

Foothold. Kickass Sam to the rescue. Snarky Sam telling off Maybourne. What's not to love.

Exodus/Enemies. My favorite episodes for Sam the brilliant scientist and Sam the great soldier. Blowing up the sun was a wicked cool plan. And snarky Sam running thru the halls blowing away replicators with her P90 is the Sam I love to see. Had some great Sam lines.

JACK: Carter? How do you know where to go in a place like this?
            SAM: I studied certain respects of the ship while we were on Vorash.
            JACK: You know how to have a good time, don't you?
            SAM: I'm having a good time now, Sir.
            JACK: You GO girl.

JACK: Yes! Well, next time, maybe we'll just wait and see.
            JACOB: And blow the last chance I'll ever have to being right?
            SAM: (Laughing) Welcome to MY life!

Meridian/Paradise Lost. The "Sam loves her team" episodes. I really thought these were both good to show how close Sam is to the boys. Her scene at the dying Daniel's bedside. When she broke down in the locker room over Jack's disappearance. Accepting comfort from Teal'c. These all make me weepy just thinking about them.

Grace. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but I really loved it. My interpretation (I guess) was different from many people's and I enjoyed seeing Sam face up to her inner fears and demons and doubts. And question her choices in life. I loved AT's performance in this one.

Death Knell. What I enjoyed about Sam in this episode is that she was stripped of her computer models and her technobabble was in basic survival mode. Sam can hold her own - on a physical level - with the best of them and she really showed it here. Seeing Sam being less-than-glamorous. A real soldier. It all worked for me. And of course I love the exploration of the father/daughter relationship with Jacob and there were some really great scenes in this one.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583

<snip>

Lastly with the news of the new signings i just
              wish we had news of Amanda signing on for s9 and yes to the poster that wished they would put back the start of filming to april, i agree
              anyway as long as Amanda stays well and enjoys her baby when he/she has arrived i'll be a happy fan!
              Heck, even moving the start two weeks later might mean two more eps Amanda would be in!

(((Amanda and little bundle of joy)))

Sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fan
                Sam was the thing that attracted me to Sg-1- I saw the ep with Cassie and I just loved it. Through the years Sam has changed and I think thats a great thing she's no longer trying to be one of the boys- she's accepted that she is a woman and I can't find any fault with what alot of people have been finding fault with recently I love Sam as much as I i did when I first started watching Sg-1 if not more. And yes Amanda is an amazing laydee!
                spoilers for s7's heroes 2

Spoiler:
                I'd love to see more shown about her relationship with Cassie (especially now that Janet is gone). And it would be *very* nice to hear a reference to Janet once in a while. Those were two relationships I liked seeing, and now they both are gone I guess. Sam would make a good mom.

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I would love to see Cassie back in the picture with Sam a little bit. Maybe some discussion of Cassie's academic plans. I always imagined she'd either want to be a pure scientist like Sam or a doctor like Janet was or something along those lines. When they showed the younger Cassie(s), it seemed that she and Sam were still especially close. I'd love to get some of that dynamic again.

That's one of the things I liked about Sam, too. Her ability to care about the kids who'd come into the show in their respective episodes.

Comment

spoilers for s5's meridian, s6's paradise lost, and s7's grace and death knell

Originally posted by Kes
                    My favorite "Sam" moments....

<snip>

Meridian/Paradise Lost. The "Sam loves her team" episodes. I really thought these were both good to show how close Sam is to the boys. Her scene at the dying Daniel's bedside. When she broke down in the locker room over Jack's disappearance. Accepting comfort from Teal'c. These all make me weepy just thinking about them.
                    (I'm just going to comment on Paradise Lost) You'll hear this a lot, but loved this ep. I saw this as more of 'Sam missing Jack' than her teammates, but it still showed how much she loved 'all' her guys. My two fave moments of that ep were a- when Sam got mad at Dr Lee (she looked broken; trying hard to defend herself but having trouble because her emotions had taken hold), and as soon as he walked away, Sam glanced at Teal'c and looked away selfconsciously. The other part was when she broke down in the locker room, and let Teal'c comfort her. Really nice scenes, and really good acting.

Grace. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but I really loved it. My interpretation (I guess) was different from many people's and I enjoyed seeing Sam face up to her inner fears and demons and doubts. And question her choices in life. I loved AT's performance in this one.

One of my fave Sam eps. It was very interesting to see Sam handle a situation she really didn't know how to handle, and doing it while suffering from an worsening concussion. I might not be able to cherish this ep so much if the S/J angle had of been dropped because/after it, but it 'wasn't' dropped (). This ep's also the catalyst of Sam wanting to put her life into perspective, not just her career. Whether I liked that she went out and found some companionship (that wasn't Jack), I'm still glad we've seen this side of Sam explored. Sam's human, and stumbles and strains through it just like the rest of it. I like that.

Death Knell. What I enjoyed about Sam in this episode is that she was stripped of her computer models and her technobabble was in basic survival mode. Sam can hold her own - on a physical level - with the best of them and she really showed it here. Seeing Sam being less-than-glamorous. A real soldier. It all worked for me. And of course I love the exploration of the father/daughter relationship with Jacob and there were some really great scenes in this one.

I loved this ep too (have it on tape, like Grace and all the others mentioned). I liked seeing Sam coming up with ways of survival, without anything but her brains to work with. (I like your examples, so I'm adopting them for myself. ) The part where Sam thought she'd killed the super soldier, only for it to pop back up... it kinda bothered me a bit, because it looked like Sam was accepting her fate. I know she was totally and completely exhausted, but... I just didn't like seeing Sam seeing death coming for her (the look on Sam's face kinda haunts me). I also adored the end scene(s), with Jack comforting her and her goodbye to her dad. Both beautifully done and acted by all.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete

<snip>

That's one of the things I liked about Sam, too. Her ability to care about the kids who'd come into the show in their respective episodes.
                      Oh, me too! That cute little boy (Nox) from The Nox, Ry'ac, Cassie, the kid from Show and Tell, the girl from Learning Curve, Hailey (from Prodigy), the youngin's from Proving Ground, CloneJack from Fragile Balance, the little boy from Revisions, and Grace (from Grace). *I'm really glad for Gateworld's episode guide * I like seeing Sam interact with children.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

First, this has to be one of the best threads that I've run across so far! I agree wholeheartedly with what almost everyone has said in their previous posts -- so well stated!

AT has played Sam Carter so well! I am a lifelong science fiction fan who did not think much of the Stargate movie, nor did the TV series capture my interest... until I caught a few episodes where AT played Sam Carter -- and I just loved the way that she could be a competent part of this elite team without stressing that she was a woman (without playing up age-old female stereotypes). And, I too, as many of the previous posts have noted, am not happy with the way that TPTB are slowly but surely destroying Sam's competency (this is not what women need for female lead characters).

That said, I have found AT to be an exceptional actress -- she actually ACTS! What she can convey with a facial expression is amazing!

My hopes are that character of Sam Carter is strengthened in Season 9 -- we need a strong female lead character who is not prissy or *****y...who doesn't use sex as a weapon...and yet, who isn't agressively butch. AT accomplished this and I couldn't be more impressed.

And, as someone else already noted, one of SC's best lines was:
                        "Welcome to my world!" (When referring to her father)

Below are some of my thoughts that I have posted in a few other places (am still trying to feel my way around the forums and threads).

Browder's character should definitely NOT outrank Carter! I have to agree with those who've already posted stated that to have BB's character outrank Carter is a slap in the face - to SC, AT and female soldiers in general.

I also think it would have been fun to have Ben Browder's character come in as a Major (instead of a Lt. Col) -- and that way Carter would have had a subordinate officer to command (just as O'Neill had). That said, I am trying to keep an open mind as the writers have (so far) done a great job dealing with new characters and the absences of old ones....

SG-1 will sorely miss the character of Sam Carter even if AT only misses 5 episodes. Amanda Tapping has done a simply superb job that I have not seen equaled by any other female lead in a Science Fiction show (and I have watched every episode of every sci fi show that I could catch for the past 30 years).

And, I have to admit that I was looking forward to Carter getting to command out in the field. In science fiction shows, the female lead is so often the 2IC, the second in command...and/or the science officer...with the major lead and overall commander being a male actor. I was really looking forward to Sam Carter moving into the command position more than they have shown so far. AT would handle it superbly!

And I can't imagine SG-1 if they lose BOTH AT and RDA... Then it just loses the feel of SG-1 ... and becomes SGC... which could make a good show... I would just prefer that they didn't call it SG-1 when they are going to lose 2 of the 4 leads.

So - I'll take AT and RDA in whatever capacity that the can participate and I just hope that the series writers and directors use the two lead actors in major storylines (and not just as background).

I find myself actually looking forward (albeit apprehensively ) to what the writers will devise for Sam Carter’s absence. I hope that the writers and directors come up with some truly creative ways to deal with the absences of AT and RDA in Season 9. To date, the Stargate writers and directors have surprised and impressed me with how well they handled Michael Shanks' departure for Season 6 and then RDA's reduced availability in Seasons 7 and 8. Having Daniel ascend after saving Jonas' planet was truly 'big'... truly heroic, and a great send-off (seeings that they didn't know that MS would be wanting to come back). And then – having Daniel take on Anubis single-handedly… again, appropriately ‘big and heroic’ for a sci-fi lead character.

And the accommodations for RDA in terms of the shooting schedules and the creative scripts that maintain O'Neill's presence. Allowing him to become a general, allowing his character to grow and develop. All very well done.

And the integration of Ben Browder’s character sounds smartly done – that they are going to create a backstory for him that interweaves his character with the past many years of Stargate lore. What I’ve heard so far sounds appropriately ‘big and heroic’ for a lead character of SG-1 – what it will take to have the Stargate audience embrace the new character.

Now... I just hope that the writers and directors can think 'big' and 'heroic' when it comes to storylines that deal with the absences of AT and RDA in Season 9. Hmmm... what I'm trying to say is that I hope that they don't do something lame... like say that Carter is just off working at the Academy, or on some research project or some such. That's a throwaway idea - not fit for what they have done so far. Beings that AT is slated to come back, I hope that they come up with a big storyline that intrigues the viewers. Maybe something that plays off that phrase that O'Neill used in the Lost City... 'National Treasure/National Resource'... I think there's a good episode title in there somewhere...

As for RDA... if he truly isn't coming back at all?... that's a bit tougher...hopefully they can get him to commit to at least a few episodes?

------------

Links:
                        - SciFi Channel Bulletin Board Thread 'Season 9 News'
                        - Solutions

Comment

Hi. I wasnt to crazy about Sam in the beginning what with her whole persona there. But she kinda grew on me, like the female version of Daneil. As her character evolved and we got to know her more personal, I was delighted to know she liked cats, ++++ and liked plants, ++++. Cats and plants, I dunno, they just go together.

Then she got possesed by Jolinar. When we found out she had 'powers' then she became really cool. I mean, just think, she can do something the rest of them can't. She blasted Seth across the room, how cool was that???

But, towards season 7 and 8, I noticed the writers got a little too intimate with her character. I could have skipped the whole Pete/Sam liason. It became too much about pairing her with a guy. Why couldnt they leave it be? whyyyyyyy......

But, still, one of my favorite characters ...
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I hope that AT finds her way to this thread just to read the wonderful praises - she deserves them!

Many of my favorite Sam Carter episodes and moments have already been covered. But let's see if I can pinpoint a few more:

Tok'ra Part One - the initial stroll on the sand dunes with Martouf was so rich with meaning - the closeups of her and him and her reactions to his revelations about Jolinar, etc. Just marvelous acting - so natural and believable. I thought she never looked more beautiful and vulnerable.

Grace - the entire episode was a showcase for AT's acting but, especially, the conversation with Jacob was particularly powerful and moving.

AT can do more with a look, a tone, a gesture than any other actor. To borrow a phrase: she runs the gamut of emotion from A to Z In fact, I think it's hard for many of the other actors to keep up with her intensity and talent at times. I'm so glad that she has won the two Leo awards for "Ascension" and "Grace". She is a hidden treasure, not yet discovered by a wider audience. And, from all reports, she is the "real thing". Much of AT is incorporated into Sam Carter - I think this is what has hooked all of us on the character - AT's own warmth and down-to-earth personality.

I hope she is able to return and continue to grow as Sam Carter in S9 if she is able to juggle both motherhood and her career. It would be lovely to see her taking Sam to new heights if the writers would provide the opportunities to get her back to her character's true arc: a strong woman warrior who is now a leader.

Whatever AT chooses to do, however, will be respected by her fans. She has given us so many memorable screen moments by making Sam Carter truly "come alive". For that alone, we should all be grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA

Then she got possesed by Jolinar. When we found out she had 'powers' then she became really cool. I mean, just think, she can do something the rest of them can't. She blasted Seth across the room, how cool was that???
                              I'd *love* for them to revisit this part of Sam! I really can't remember the last time Sam tried to use them (the first thing that came to mind was when she was trying to heal Daniel in Meridian... that was heart breaking).

spoilers for s7's lost city(s)
                              Spoiler:
                              I wish Sam would have been the one to take the Ancients download instead of Jack. How would that have worked with her having naquada in her blood, or the memories of Jolinar? So much potential!

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                I hope that AT finds her way to this thread just to read the wonderful praises - she deserves them!

Many of my favorite Sam Carter episodes and moments have already been covered. But let's see if I can pinpoint a few more:

Tok'ra Part One - the initial stroll on the sand dunes with Martouf was so rich with meaning - the closeups of her and him and her reactions to his revelations about Jolinar, etc. Just marvelous acting - so natural and believable. I thought she never looked more beautiful and vulnerable.
                                I'm visualizing these scenes as I read. I liked it when Stargate used to let their characters 'react' to things, not just glossing over their experiences like they never happened in the next eps (anyone heard anything about Janet anymore? ). I think my fave line when she was out there with Martouf was when she referred to schizophrenia in how it felt to have two sets of memories in her head at the same time. I remember the look on her face, the sound of her voice... just wonderful acting.

Grace - the entire episode was a showcase for AT's acting but, especially, the conversation with Jacob was particularly powerful and moving.
                                LOVE this ep! I watched it again just last week. Her slow desolve into... what, a form of insanity? Amanda had a field day! I wish it would have taken place longer than four days.

AT can do more with a look, a tone, a gesture than any other actor. To borrow a phrase: she runs the gamut of emotion from A to Z
                                Totally agree! Some of my fave actresses have been the ones that say it all with their expressions. Gillian Anderson and Sela Ward both gave me the same kind of chills that Amanda has, because all three can just give 'that' look, and you know exactly what they're trying to say. Amanda's a part of that elite group of exceptional actresses to me.

She is a hidden treasure, not yet discovered by a wider audience.
                                I know. I keep waiting to hear about her being cast in some big name project (Steven Spieilberg should use her in the next Indiana Jones movie), and her being the acting world's next sweetheart.

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X