Page 2 of 6305 FirstFirst 1234512521025021002 ... LastLast

Default Re: Sam's a great character - spoilers for *ALL* seasons

Quote Originally Posted by tara3583

<snip>

Lastly with the news of the new signings i just
    wish we had news of Amanda signing on for s9 and yes to the poster that wished they would put back the start of filming to april, i agree
    anyway as long as Amanda stays well and enjoys her baby when he/she has arrived i'll be a happy fan!
    Heck, even moving the start two weeks later might mean two more eps Amanda would be in!

(((Amanda and little bundle of joy)))

Sally
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by Sam fan
    Sam was the thing that attracted me to Sg-1- I saw the ep with Cassie and I just loved it. Through the years Sam has changed and I think thats a great thing she's no longer trying to be one of the boys- she's accepted that she is a woman and I can't find any fault with what alot of people have been finding fault with recently I love Sam as much as I i did when I first started watching Sg-1 if not more. And yes Amanda is an amazing laydee!
    spoilers for s7's heroes 2

Spoiler:
    I'd love to see more shown about her relationship with Cassie (especially now that Janet is gone). And it would be *very* nice to hear a reference to Janet once in a while. Those were two relationships I liked seeing, and now they both are gone I guess. Sam would make a good mom.

Sally
    sally

Yeah, I would love to see Cassie back in the picture with Sam a little bit. Maybe some discussion of Cassie's academic plans. I always imagined she'd either want to be a pure scientist like Sam or a doctor like Janet was or something along those lines. When they showed the younger Cassie(s), it seemed that she and Sam were still especially close. I'd love to get some of that dynamic again.

That's one of the things I liked about Sam, too. Her ability to care about the kids who'd come into the show in their respective episodes.

spoilers for s5's meridian, s6's paradise lost, and s7's grace and death knell

Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    My favorite "Sam" moments....

<snip>

Meridian/Paradise Lost. The "Sam loves her team" episodes. I really thought these were both good to show how close Sam is to the boys. Her scene at the dying Daniel's bedside. When she broke down in the locker room over Jack's disappearance. Accepting comfort from Teal'c. These all make me weepy just thinking about them.
    (I'm just going to comment on Paradise Lost) You'll hear this a lot, but loved this ep. I saw this as more of 'Sam missing Jack' than her teammates, but it still showed how much she loved 'all' her guys. My two fave moments of that ep were a- when Sam got mad at Dr Lee (she looked broken; trying hard to defend herself but having trouble because her emotions had taken hold), and as soon as he walked away, Sam glanced at Teal'c and looked away selfconsciously. The other part was when she broke down in the locker room, and let Teal'c comfort her. Really nice scenes, and really good acting.

Grace. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but I really loved it. My interpretation (I guess) was different from many people's and I enjoyed seeing Sam face up to her inner fears and demons and doubts. And question her choices in life. I loved AT's performance in this one.

One of my fave Sam eps. It was very interesting to see Sam handle a situation she really didn't know how to handle, and doing it while suffering from an worsening concussion. I might not be able to cherish this ep so much if the S/J angle had of been dropped because/after it, but it 'wasn't' dropped (). This ep's also the catalyst of Sam wanting to put her life into perspective, not just her career. Whether I liked that she went out and found some companionship (that wasn't Jack), I'm still glad we've seen this side of Sam explored. Sam's human, and stumbles and strains through it just like the rest of it. I like that.

Death Knell. What I enjoyed about Sam in this episode is that she was stripped of her computer models and her technobabble was in basic survival mode. Sam can hold her own - on a physical level - with the best of them and she really showed it here. Seeing Sam being less-than-glamorous. A real soldier. It all worked for me. And of course I love the exploration of the father/daughter relationship with Jacob and there were some really great scenes in this one.

I loved this ep too (have it on tape, like Grace and all the others mentioned). I liked seeing Sam coming up with ways of survival, without anything but her brains to work with. (I like your examples, so I'm adopting them for myself. ) The part where Sam thought she'd killed the super soldier, only for it to pop back up... it kinda bothered me a bit, because it looked like Sam was accepting her fate. I know she was totally and completely exhausted, but... I just didn't like seeing Sam seeing death coming for her (the look on Sam's face kinda haunts me). I also adored the end scene(s), with Jack comforting her and her goodbye to her dad. Both beautifully done and acted by all.

Sally
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by aeromathlete

<snip>

That's one of the things I liked about Sam, too. Her ability to care about the kids who'd come into the show in their respective episodes.
    Oh, me too! That cute little boy (Nox) from The Nox, Ry'ac, Cassie, the kid from Show and Tell, the girl from Learning Curve, Hailey (from Prodigy), the youngin's from Proving Ground, CloneJack from Fragile Balance, the little boy from Revisions, and Grace (from Grace). *I'm really glad for Gateworld's episode guide * I like seeing Sam interact with children.

Sally
    sally

Major
    second seat in an F-302, guess who's Front Seat? :)

First, this has to be one of the best threads that I've run across so far! I agree wholeheartedly with what almost everyone has said in their previous posts -- so well stated!

AT has played Sam Carter so well! I am a lifelong science fiction fan who did not think much of the Stargate movie, nor did the TV series capture my interest... until I caught a few episodes where AT played Sam Carter -- and I just loved the way that she could be a competent part of this elite team without stressing that she was a woman (without playing up age-old female stereotypes). And, I too, as many of the previous posts have noted, am not happy with the way that TPTB are slowly but surely destroying Sam's competency (this is not what women need for female lead characters).

That said, I have found AT to be an exceptional actress -- she actually ACTS! What she can convey with a facial expression is amazing!

My hopes are that character of Sam Carter is strengthened in Season 9 -- we need a strong female lead character who is not prissy or *****y...who doesn't use sex as a weapon...and yet, who isn't agressively butch. AT accomplished this and I couldn't be more impressed.

And, as someone else already noted, one of SC's best lines was:
    "Welcome to my world!" (When referring to her father)

Below are some of my thoughts that I have posted in a few other places (am still trying to feel my way around the forums and threads).

Browder's character should definitely NOT outrank Carter! I have to agree with those who've already posted stated that to have BB's character outrank Carter is a slap in the face - to SC, AT and female soldiers in general.

I also think it would have been fun to have Ben Browder's character come in as a Major (instead of a Lt. Col) -- and that way Carter would have had a subordinate officer to command (just as O'Neill had). That said, I am trying to keep an open mind as the writers have (so far) done a great job dealing with new characters and the absences of old ones....

SG-1 will sorely miss the character of Sam Carter even if AT only misses 5 episodes. Amanda Tapping has done a simply superb job that I have not seen equaled by any other female lead in a Science Fiction show (and I have watched every episode of every sci fi show that I could catch for the past 30 years).

And, I have to admit that I was looking forward to Carter getting to command out in the field. In science fiction shows, the female lead is so often the 2IC, the second in command...and/or the science officer...with the major lead and overall commander being a male actor. I was really looking forward to Sam Carter moving into the command position more than they have shown so far. AT would handle it superbly!

And I can't imagine SG-1 if they lose BOTH AT and RDA... Then it just loses the feel of SG-1 ... and becomes SGC... which could make a good show... I would just prefer that they didn't call it SG-1 when they are going to lose 2 of the 4 leads.

So - I'll take AT and RDA in whatever capacity that the can participate and I just hope that the series writers and directors use the two lead actors in major storylines (and not just as background).

I find myself actually looking forward (albeit apprehensively ) to what the writers will devise for Sam Carter’s absence. I hope that the writers and directors come up with some truly creative ways to deal with the absences of AT and RDA in Season 9. To date, the Stargate writers and directors have surprised and impressed me with how well they handled Michael Shanks' departure for Season 6 and then RDA's reduced availability in Seasons 7 and 8. Having Daniel ascend after saving Jonas' planet was truly 'big'... truly heroic, and a great send-off (seeings that they didn't know that MS would be wanting to come back). And then – having Daniel take on Anubis single-handedly… again, appropriately ‘big and heroic’ for a sci-fi lead character.

And the accommodations for RDA in terms of the shooting schedules and the creative scripts that maintain O'Neill's presence. Allowing him to become a general, allowing his character to grow and develop. All very well done.

And the integration of Ben Browder’s character sounds smartly done – that they are going to create a backstory for him that interweaves his character with the past many years of Stargate lore. What I’ve heard so far sounds appropriately ‘big and heroic’ for a lead character of SG-1 – what it will take to have the Stargate audience embrace the new character.

Now... I just hope that the writers and directors can think 'big' and 'heroic' when it comes to storylines that deal with the absences of AT and RDA in Season 9. Hmmm... what I'm trying to say is that I hope that they don't do something lame... like say that Carter is just off working at the Academy, or on some research project or some such. That's a throwaway idea - not fit for what they have done so far. Beings that AT is slated to come back, I hope that they come up with a big storyline that intrigues the viewers. Maybe something that plays off that phrase that O'Neill used in the Lost City... 'National Treasure/National Resource'... I think there's a good episode title in there somewhere...

As for RDA... if he truly isn't coming back at all?... that's a bit tougher...hopefully they can get him to commit to at least a few episodes?

------------

Links:
    - SciFi Channel Bulletin Board Thread 'Season 9 News'
    - Solutions

Post Re: Sam's a great character - spoilers for *ALL* seasons

Hi. I wasnt to crazy about Sam in the beginning what with her whole persona there. But she kinda grew on me, like the female version of Daneil. As her character evolved and we got to know her more personal, I was delighted to know she liked cats, ++++ and liked plants, ++++. Cats and plants, I dunno, they just go together.

Then she got possesed by Jolinar. When we found out she had 'powers' then she became really cool. I mean, just think, she can do something the rest of them can't. She blasted Seth across the room, how cool was that???

But, towards season 7 and 8, I noticed the writers got a little too intimate with her character. I could have skipped the whole Pete/Sam liason. It became too much about pairing her with a guy. Why couldnt they leave it be? whyyyyyyy......

But, still, one of my favorite characters ...

I hope that AT finds her way to this thread just to read the wonderful praises - she deserves them!

Many of my favorite Sam Carter episodes and moments have already been covered. But let's see if I can pinpoint a few more:

Tok'ra Part One - the initial stroll on the sand dunes with Martouf was so rich with meaning - the closeups of her and him and her reactions to his revelations about Jolinar, etc. Just marvelous acting - so natural and believable. I thought she never looked more beautiful and vulnerable.

Grace - the entire episode was a showcase for AT's acting but, especially, the conversation with Jacob was particularly powerful and moving.

AT can do more with a look, a tone, a gesture than any other actor. To borrow a phrase: she runs the gamut of emotion from A to Z In fact, I think it's hard for many of the other actors to keep up with her intensity and talent at times. I'm so glad that she has won the two Leo awards for "Ascension" and "Grace". She is a hidden treasure, not yet discovered by a wider audience. And, from all reports, she is the "real thing". Much of AT is incorporated into Sam Carter - I think this is what has hooked all of us on the character - AT's own warmth and down-to-earth personality.

I hope she is able to return and continue to grow as Sam Carter in S9 if she is able to juggle both motherhood and her career. It would be lovely to see her taking Sam to new heights if the writers would provide the opportunities to get her back to her character's true arc: a strong woman warrior who is now a leader.

Whatever AT chooses to do, however, will be respected by her fans. She has given us so many memorable screen moments by making Sam Carter truly "come alive". For that alone, we should all be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-RA

Then she got possesed by Jolinar. When we found out she had 'powers' then she became really cool. I mean, just think, she can do something the rest of them can't. She blasted Seth across the room, how cool was that???
    I'd *love* for them to revisit this part of Sam! I really can't remember the last time Sam tried to use them (the first thing that came to mind was when she was trying to heal Daniel in Meridian... that was heart breaking).

spoilers for s7's lost city(s)
    Spoiler:
    I wish Sam would have been the one to take the Ancients download instead of Jack. How would that have worked with her having naquada in her blood, or the memories of Jolinar? So much potential!

Sally
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by ChopinGal
    I hope that AT finds her way to this thread just to read the wonderful praises - she deserves them!

Many of my favorite Sam Carter episodes and moments have already been covered. But let's see if I can pinpoint a few more:

Tok'ra Part One - the initial stroll on the sand dunes with Martouf was so rich with meaning - the closeups of her and him and her reactions to his revelations about Jolinar, etc. Just marvelous acting - so natural and believable. I thought she never looked more beautiful and vulnerable.
    I'm visualizing these scenes as I read. I liked it when Stargate used to let their characters 'react' to things, not just glossing over their experiences like they never happened in the next eps (anyone heard anything about Janet anymore? ). I think my fave line when she was out there with Martouf was when she referred to schizophrenia in how it felt to have two sets of memories in her head at the same time. I remember the look on her face, the sound of her voice... just wonderful acting.

Grace - the entire episode was a showcase for AT's acting but, especially, the conversation with Jacob was particularly powerful and moving.
    LOVE this ep! I watched it again just last week. Her slow desolve into... what, a form of insanity? Amanda had a field day! I wish it would have taken place longer than four days.

AT can do more with a look, a tone, a gesture than any other actor. To borrow a phrase: she runs the gamut of emotion from A to Z
    Totally agree! Some of my fave actresses have been the ones that say it all with their expressions. Gillian Anderson and Sela Ward both gave me the same kind of chills that Amanda has, because all three can just give 'that' look, and you know exactly what they're trying to say. Amanda's a part of that elite group of exceptional actresses to me.

She is a hidden treasure, not yet discovered by a wider audience.
    I know. I keep waiting to hear about her being cast in some big name project (Steven Spieilberg should use her in the next Indiana Jones movie), and her being the acting world's next sweetheart.

Sally
    sally

Major
    second seat in an F-302, guess who's Front Seat? :)

Spoilers for Season 7 Lost City below:

Quote Originally Posted by majorsal
    I'd *love* for them to revisit this part of Sam! I really can't remember the last time Sam tried to use them (the first thing that came to mind was when she was trying to heal Daniel in Meridian... that was heart breaking).

spoilers for s7's lost city(s)
    Spoiler:
    I wish Sam would have been the one to take the Ancients download instead of Jack. How would that have worked with her having naquada in her blood, or the memories of Jolinar? So much potential!

Sally
    I agree with you RE Sam' role in the Lost City! It would have been interesting to see how she would have been affected, and how the transformation would have progressed.

I also wish that they'd simply involved the entire team more critically -- as it was, they wrote it so that O'Neill saved Earth and the other three basically provided cover fire and support (3 Special Forces marines could have accomplished almost the same results). And it would have been so great to see all of them somehow go through the transformation together...and be talking to each other in Ancient (instead of having the three of the them just follow O'Neill around) - and then all four of them get frozen to end the season! Thor would then have to come and get them out at the beginning of the next season...

I'm not going to complain a bit about the Lost City because the way it played out made it one of my fav eps ever.

BUT

I will say that we do need the team dynamic back with characters carrying burdens equally. I've finally caught up on Season 8 and seen all the episodes, and I'm really beginning to notice the lopsidedness of each ep. Each episode focuses solely on one (or at most two) members of the main cast. I miss the TEAM! I'm one of the few that liked Covenant, but I think I just saw Teal'c in it for a few seconds, in the background...yeah.

Here's to more Samantha Carter-led teamwork in the rest of season eight!

Speaking of our glorious girl, don't you think Sam should command SG-1 in Season Nine (upon Amanda's return, of course)? She's totally earned it-O'Neill deemed her fit for the position! I don't mind Browder stepping in for the first few, but they'd better give Sam her job back! And we need to see her in command this time, not just know she's in command because of her rank...

What do y'all think of this issue? Lieutenant Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel on the same team? Or will Browder get a pop promotion to ruin the mood?

I really hope Sam is in command of sg1 in s9 with the new fella as her 2 in command, if they
    don't and have her as 2 in command i would really, really be unhappy!
    Amanda has done a fantastic job with making Sam
    a well rounded woman that she is today and to be honest if tpbt stuff Sam back in 2 in command role imho it would look like a slap in the face for Amanda!
    I would love to see her work well with the new
    fella not be at odds with him and maybe some teasing going on between them.
    ......TARA......

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

i think sam can do a great job of leading, if they'd just give her a chance.

hello, writers, can we please have less of soap of the week and actually have a mission now an then? even if it's on world, it would be nice to actually see sg-1 do something

sort of like zero hour....i know why we didn't see what happened on the planet and focused on actions in the sgc...but they missed a prime opportunity to let sam do something more that jsut be there

what i've loved about sam from the beginning is that she was a member of the team that just happened to be a woman. now? now she's a woman who just happens to be on a team

Here's to more Samantha Carter-led teamwork in the rest of season eight!

Speaking of our glorious girl, don't you think Sam should command SG-1 in Season Nine (upon Amanda's return, of course)? She's totally earned it-O'Neill deemed her fit for the position! I don't mind Browder stepping in for the first few, but they'd better give Sam her job back! And we need to see her in command this time, not just know she's in command because of her rank...

What do y'all think of this issue? Lieutenant Colonel and Lieutenant Colonel on the same team? Or will Browder get a pop promotion to ruin the mood?[/QUOTE]

You should probably open a new thread on this unless there is one floating around already. I have a serious concern about this: BB as a Lt. Col and possibly the fourth SG-1 team member ... yes, the writers seem to be retreating into their good old "boys' club" right now with the casting of BB and his potential role. Have they even considered Sam in this whole new arc? She has been, and should continue to be, the CO of SG-1 through Jack's directive. This is a just and timely reward for her years of loyal service and also a prime opportunity for some really good and creative writing to now show Sam "in the field" and "as a leader who has to make some tough decisions". (I can't resist: deciding on whether to accept an engagement ring is not the kind of decision that fans were looking for in S8!) The writers have dropped the ball the past two seasons on Sam's potential. AT, herself, has admitted that she loved doing "Death Knell" because she got to be a soldier in the midst of conflict - she got roughed up and thought that it was about time (listen to audio commentary for that episode) that Sam was portrayed more realistically in that manner. She wants more of those kinds of episodes. And so do I! Sam is a heroic character - she needs to be given the chance to be "the hero" in future episodes. The whole dynamic of leadership - does a woman lead differently than a man, react differently under a pressure situation, in giving orders? Perhaps they would have to open their "boys' club" up and let some women writers in to answer those questions with honest scripts. Eek! I'm going off topic here - sorry. You've touched a nerve - BB must not replace our Sam as leader of the pack! That would be a travesty.

First of all, I haven't quite mastered the use of blue quote boxes, and apologise to Aeromathlete for the lack of clarity regarding using your own words in my previous post. If anyone can set me straight on how to "pull and quote" material from other posts - it would be great.

Sally - your response to my first post and your mentioning the "schizophrenia lines" in Tok'ra Part One - yes! So well acted and the writing was so on at that time. The writing is what the actor has to work with - and, to her credit, AT gives 110% to each and every script even when the writers seem to be throwing her a curve ball! She also is a director's delight: totally into the scene and reacting to the other actors even when not the prime focus of attention. That's why she makes the character so human and believable. It also shows her professionalism and lack of ego

Okay, someone throw me a line here ... how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!!

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Okay, someone throw me a line here ... how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!!

click on the 'quote' button instead of 'reply'

it will give you a box with the entirety of that post in quote tags that look like
    QUOTE=ChopinGal
    /QUOTE

just with little [] around them

as long as you keep those tags intact, you can either leave the whole post or snip out all but the pertinent parts that you're responding to

ChopinGal, I'd PM you, but you've disabled your PMs. To do a quote, type

[Quote=ChopinGal]how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!![/quote]

and it turns out like this:
    how do I cut and paste just parts of former posts into those little blue boxes?!!
    To do the cut&paste thing, highlight the bit you want copied, hold down 'ctrl' and press 'c'. That copies the bit to your 'clipboard'. Then you can hold down 'ctrl' and press 'v' to paste the bit from your clipboard into your post.

Madeleine

Chief Master Sergeant

Of course, I agree with everybody.

Sam is definitely my favorite character, partly because I see a bit of myself in her--both who I really am and who I would like to be.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any favorite Sam episodes beyond those that have already been mentioned. I love Amanda/Sam even more now that I know the "idiot" line in Foothold was ad-lib. That's such a great Sam episode.

I don't think anybody's mentioned Nightwalkers yet, though. It's a great Sam episode--Sam in charge, Sam being clever, Sam kicking butt. Even if it did seem a bit too much like an X-Files episode.

Yep, I love Sam.

I also agree that if Sam is not the CO of SG-1 in season 9, I'll feel betrayed. If we get some good solid Carter-in-command episodes between now and the end of season 9, I wouldn't be so bitter if she stepped down after that, but she needs at least 1 full season of strong command, and IMO, so far season 8 ain't it.

I'm in the camp that doesn't like Pete but the jury's still out on whether I'll like the arc because it all depends on how it plays out in the end. Sam is a hero, but I like my heros to be human, I like to see them vulnerable to ordinary mistakes, errors of judgement, problems etc...I like seeing Sam struggle with a relationship that's probably a dumb mistake the same way I loved seeing Daniel laid up with appendicitis because it was so ordinary. People, real people, even really smart, talented people, have those types of problems. I see some of Sam's reactions WRT Pete as out of character for her, but then I think, people do stuff that's out of character for themselves sometimes, because they're trying to be someone or something they're not, because they think it's what they want. I think it's getting old and needs to be wrapped up...but as long as they conclude this particular arc in a way that ultimately leaves Sam's integrity intact, even if it means she looks kinda dumb in the process, I'll be OK with that, and I think it's still possible.

But back to the Fabulousness that is Sam...or rather, Amanda, because beyond the writing, it's Amanda that makes Sam shine. I doubt I'd like the character at all with another actress in the role. I can't imagine anybody else pulling it off.

Somebody mentioned how much of Amanda is brought into the character of Sam. It's made me wonder if we'll see any effect on Sam because of Amanda's being a mommy, beyond the schedule limitations. I mean, will it make a difference in how Amanda plays the character of Sam? How Sam reacts? We know the pregnancy won't be written into the show in any way, and I think that's wise, but it's still a big deal for Amanda. So, it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on Sam.

AT has made the character of SC more impressive due to her great acting. She has mastered the ability to be brainy, practical, emotional, flawed, have a love life, control her love for J, and be a leader for her team, and a woman. When she comes back after giving birth, I am sure that she will be a greater actress cause having a baby changes alot of things in ones life. She will be a amazing leader for SG1.

Gatebee

Page 2 of 6305 FirstFirst 1234512521025021002 ... LastLast