Archer an interesting Character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archer an interesting Character

Captain Archer is certainly a passionate Starship Captain and Human Being. Being the first Captain of the first Enterprise with the level of technology they poses and the unknowns they face he is on a hiding to nothing. But yet his shear determination, passion and street smarts has helped the ship and crew get through a lot of very difficult situations.

He is certainly aware of his limitations, but he is a gut instinct type of guy, and certainly one not to take a backward step. He would gladly give his life for the sake of his ship and his crew. I like the man, he does the best he can with what he has got, and I would want him on myside anytime. What do others think of Archer?

Archer nudges out Picard as my favourite captain. For a lot of the reasons you mentioned, and he handled the Zindi situation so well. Make the tough, perhaps unethical decisions, and at times suffered badly inside for it. Also he had no Prime Directive to fall back on, and was the 1st face of Earth.
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I really liked Archer because he had the passion of Kirk without the extensive cheeziness/womanizing, etc. (still love ya Kirk) He was a grittier Captain that actually went to the morally grey areas many times(much like Sisko), which is what I find makes for an interesting character.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        I really liked Archer because he had the passion of Kirk without the extensive cheeziness/womanizing, etc. (still love ya Kirk) He was a grittier Captain that actually went to the morally grey areas many times(much like Sisko), which is what I find makes for an interesting character.
        I totally agree! Archer was a medley of Kirk and Picard's traits, I think. He's just so hardcore sometimes! Which is good. I really liked when he got into fights. It was very Kirk like, but with less shirt ripping (lol) and he always came out of a fight like Picard. An awesome character
        Yay for Canadian Geeks!
        PM me if you wanna chat!

sigpic

Comment

Archer is my Favorite Captain. He isnt as dramatic talking to other ship's captains as Kirk was. I never liked it when Kirk's clothes got ripped during battle so it was good to see that there was'nt any ripping before Kirk's time.
          Great negotiator. I saw "Judgement" where he was arrested by the Klingons and I thought he could do better at convincing that he was innocent.

He was great, even when he had Cmdr. Tucker (the engineer) with him.

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

Originally posted by panikin View Post
            I totally agree! Archer was a medley of Kirk and Picard's traits, I think. He's just so hardcore sometimes! Which is good. I really liked when he got into fights. It was very Kirk like, but with less shirt ripping (lol) and he always came out of a fight like Picard. An awesome character

I think "hardcore" is a good description of Archer.

Comment

Agreed. although he was a raging pus at first. A few million dead tends to toughen a feller up. So many suicide missions for a guilty conscience tho.

Is it eastablished that Archer was the first president of the Federation? I seem to remember this somewhere. At the very least theres 2 planets and a starship in nemesis named after him.

Comment

It was written in small font in "In A Mirror, Darkly Part 2" in a biography for Archer accessed on the starship Defiant (not the DS9 version). It was supposed to be too small to see, but HD sort of tread over that.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  It was written in small font in "In A Mirror, Darkly Part 2" in a biography for Archer accessed on the starship Defiant (not the DS9 version). It was supposed to be too small to see, but HD sort of tread over that.
                  Nice! Always wonder what stuff like that says, and what they actually write in there.

Comment

Take a look for yourself right here.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Take a look for yourself right here.
                      Cool! Like the part about the NCC-1701.

Comment

I loved Enterprise but not archer he let his emotions get in the way of his job.

Comment

Archer was the perfect FIRST explorer from earth. he was compassionate when he needed to be BUT much tougher than Picard! He could think for himself and was not bound by "regulations" all the time.

Thanks for the link to the Archer Archive

Comment

He was my favorite Captain, too. I saw him as a mixture between Picard and a bit Sisko, a mixture between genius and someone who does things. Moreover, he was so nice and friendly. He didn't seem to be so distant like Janeway or Sisko. And he had Phortos (I hope I spelled it correctly);-)
                            sigpic

Peter Petrelli: What do you do with something that killed you?
                            Nathan Petrelli: You could put it underneath your pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by BeckettRulez View Post
                              He was my favorite Captain, too. I saw him as a mixture between Picard and a bit Sisko, a mixture between genius and someone who does things. Moreover, he was so nice and friendly. He didn't seem to be so distant like Janeway or Sisko. And he had Phortos (I hope I spelled it correctly);-)
                              I agree that he wasn't as distant from his crew as the other captains were. He seemed much more comfortable with people of all ages (children always seemed to terrify picard) and species. I always enjoyed his interactions with Shran (jeffery coombs) and his hostility towards the vulcan high command. (it's Porthos.... from the three musketeers )

Comment

Working...
                              X