X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42 (2907/307)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2907

When the Doctor and Martha arrive on board a ship falling into a star and are cut off from the TARDIS, and must race against time to help the crew save the ship -- and avoid a murderous entity that has possessed one of their own.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:45 PM.

I liked this one. Quite strange to see the Doctor scared (frightenedas opposed to just worried that the enemy will defeat him); I can't remember that happenning before.

Michelle Collins was good, so were all the rest of the crew. Martha's Mum's a cool baddie .

For once I was less scared of the ep than were my young sons

Madeleine

Comment

That was a good ep. A really good ep. I was biting my nails near the end.
      Although, Martha's mum just annoys me.
      Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
      LOVE HIM-> DT
      ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Good ep overall, although I liked the last one more. The scenes featuring or that mention Mr Saxon keep getting more and more interesting - and next weeks looks good. I'm guessing he loses his memory or something, it looks fun. Can't wait.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Yep, I liked this week's episode even though it was in the familiar setting on a spaceship with the crew being picked off one by one. The Sun as-a-living-organism was quite a cool concept. Don't think I've seen that one before.

Martha's mum in league with the bad guys, eh? I guess she has no idea of who she is really dealing with. I think she is just being a worried mum trying to protect her daughter.

Did the episode run exactly to the minute? Every update during the countdown to final impact seemed like we were watching in real-time.

And I see Martha was given a (the?) key to the door. Can't wait for more Saxon stuff.
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Hulabaloo View Post
            I'd prefer to see an annoyed dad instead this time...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hulabaloo View Post
              Yes, Martha's mum annoys me too.
              I enjoyed this episode, and felt the tension as the time was running out. I thought that was a good idea.
              I liked Martha finally getting a key for the Tardis, making her officially The Doctor's companion.
              sigpic

Comment

1. OK, now we know that RTD is a 24 fan!

2. The glowing eyes were slightly Goa'uldish but the 'living sun' idea is at least original!

3. Having said that, come on Doctor, by all rights a sun shouldn't 'be' alive so it would not be normal procedure to scan for life!

4. How the hell to Saxon suck Martha's Mum in so easily to his orbit! Or was she part of his crew beforehand?

Overall, Who attempts 24, comes accross as slightly cliched but still OK.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                  4. How the hell to Saxon suck Martha's Mum in so easily to his orbit! Or was she part of his crew beforehand?

OK.
                  I did love this epiodes kept you on the edge all the way through, though im a Whovian so im proud to admit i dont have an objective judgement.

24 bores me, the concept in individual eps such as this one, and atlantis's 38 minutes works because its just the one ep doing it, not the whole series.

As for your comment, Martha's mum has only heard Saxon's side of the story, not once has she asked Martha about who the Doctor really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                    2. The glowing eyes were slightly Goa'uldish but the 'living sun' idea is at least original!
                    I saw nothing even remotely Goa'uld-like about the eyes. What I was thinking was that it reminded me of the heart of the TARDIS.

And I've seen the "sun as an entity" idea once or twice before (Andromeda being one) but it still scores points for little used concepts and I don't know that I've ever seen a sun actually possess someone before.

The science geek in me is pulling her hair out over the niggly little things that couldn't/shouldn't have happened and it was a little overly reminiscent of Impossible Planet/Satan Pit at times (especially The Voice), but I still liked more than I hated.

Also, having proudly never seen a single ep of 24 I can't draw any comparisons to it. I kept waiting for HHG references.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      The science geek in me is pulling her hair out over the niggly little things that couldn't/shouldn't have happened and it was a little overly reminiscent of Impossible Planet/Satan Pit at times (especially The Voice), but I still liked more than I hated.
                      Yes, that similarity annoyed me a bit too ... i guess it was because the set looked similar, and 'being stuck on a ship/station whilst spiralling to certain doom' was the crux behind that one too ...

Oh, and yay that it wasn't Earth's star system sun.

Overall - pretty good ... but i've enjoyed others quite a bit more for some reason.
                      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
                        Overall - pretty good ... but i've enjoyed others quite a bit more for some reason.
                        Other eps were more fun and had better-paced, believable drama. Just my opinion, of course. 42's okay, but in the annals of Who-dom (Whoville?) I think it'll ultimately go down as a "meh." I'd pick it over Idiot's Lantern and Fear Her, though.

Comment

Other eps were more fun and had better-paced, believable drama. Just my opinion, of course. 42's okay, but in the annals of Who-dom (Whoville?) I think it'll ultimately go down as a "meh." I'd pick it over Idiot's Lantern and Fear Her, though.
                          Ah yes. I knew there was a reason in there somewhere
                          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I saw nothing even remotely Goa'uld-like about the eyes. What I was thinking was that it reminded me of the heart of the TARDIS.
                            Hmm, wasn't that more a mouth thing? And it is not new or clever to have glowy eyes... Village of the Damned!

I have to say I did keep thinking this was too much like Impossible Planet/Satan's Pit. Even the jettisoning of the people was not new (although we were saved the music this time around).

This was nothing like 24, well except they had a count down, but again nothing new in that loads of show and movies use that as a plot device.

I hate Martha's mother! Starts with b ends in h. I want Jackie back!

I see a little RTDs gay agenda still at work. Aw, and The Doctor is really quick to give those keys out these days ain't he?

Next week....

Spoiler:
                            looks interesting, what's did he say when he was reading the paper? Was it English? Was it a real word? Corn people... weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                              Hmm, wasn't that more a mouth thing? And it is not new or clever to have glowy eyes... Village of the Damned!
                              Nope, definitely the eyes.

Glowy eyes (even the pupils look a bit funny, as they did this time around)

Transferred through the eyes, too (methinks the kiss was just an excuse )

Anyway, I don't think anyone ever said the glowy eye thing was original. It has shown up in a lot of places over the years. But the glowing-to-the-point-of-leakage effect reminds me most of Parting of the Ways because, well, it's Doctor Who. Don't have to look for outside references.

Comment

Working...
                              X