• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utopia (2911/311)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    UTOPIA
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2911

When Captain Jack hitchhikes, the Doctor and Martha find themselves unexpectedly thrown farther into the future than even the Time Lords have gone. There they meet an aging professor and his assistant, who are working to save the last survivors of their planet by launching a rocket to a new utopian paradise.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:38 PM.

So damn annoyed!!!
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44783
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

An average episode, but oh such an AMAZING cliffhanger to end an episode with.

Comment

A good episode, with fantastic performances by Derek Jacobi, both John Barrowman, and John Simm, as well as David, Freema. But the fact that The Sun spoiled the whole bloody thing didn't help. There was just something about this episode that didn't sit right with me, something was missing from it. I look forward to the 2 part finale, and I'll add more later.

Rating: 7/10

Best Line: (paraphrasing) How about we have a chat and I tell you all of my plans so you can figure out a way to stop me?
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Oh that was a FANTASTIC episode all round.

Loved both incarnations of the master and having Jack back is great.

When the professor found that watch it almost gave me shivers.

I couldn't stand still.

BEST DOCTOR WHO EPISODE EVER.........AND THAT'S JUST FOR THE ENDING!!!
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Holy crap! Is it next Saturday yet? Is it? Is it? *bounces*

This episode was amazing.... I have to admit here that I didn't see all of the Eccleston series of Dr Who so although I know Jack and have seen bits of episodes with him in, I am not up to date with the full history.. but even so.. wow. Jack and the Dr rocked. And the whole slow build up to the reveal of the Master. Fantastic. And Derek Jacobi.. nuff said! Just a brilliant, brilliant actor. I adored Jack and the Dr's conversation through the door of the containment room... stunning acting from the pair of them (and loved Russell Davies' explanation in Confidential that only in a life and death situation, with a *door* between them and a countdown and the thousands of lives at risk, do men finally choose to have a personal conversation and bare their souls! )

Tennant, as ever, was just brilliant and my god his face in the final confrontation with the Master and trying to get back into the Tardis. I was tensing up during that whole build up towards the end of the episode... from the reveal of the watch onwards. I found myself actually leaning forward in my seat in anticipation and murmuring despairingly.. "Arrrgghh... they're gonna end it there!!"

Oh and some fabulous, fabulous lines in this one too, mostly from Jack and the Dr. "Only man you'll ever be happy with.."

Sooo.... is it next week yet? *whines*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours View Post
              An average episode, but oh such an AMAZING cliffhanger to end an episode with.
              Anyone else notice that that's now two episodes in a row that the Dr's gone and gotten himself stranded without the TARDIS? He really should be more careful with that thing...

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
              A good episode, with fantastic performances by Derek Jacobi, both John Barrowman, and John Simm, as well as David, Freema. But the fact that The Sun spoiled the whole bloody thing didn't help.
              ONe of the many, many upsides to not reading newspapers...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                Anyone else notice that that's now two episodes in a row that the Dr's gone and gotten himself stranded without the TARDIS? He really should be more careful with that thing...

ONe of the many, many upsides to not reading newspapers...
                hehe. i read newspapers but not the sun......load of garbage anyway.

Comment

Who else thought that when he said "Sorry" the Doctor was talking not to the Master (as he assumed) but to the TARDIS. He's clearly done something to it.

How did the Doctor know Jack's immortal?

When the Doctor compared the TARDIS to a sports car I laughed, I guess there's no-one else around who could contradict that statement but we all know he stole it from a junk yard.

I also laughed at the fact that this is the moment that my Dad, who's been watching the show since Rose worked out that Captain Jack was bisexual.

The Signal, you're right it did feel wrong somehow. I think it was because not much really happened this episode, it's all been setting up for the two parter.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                    Who else thought that when he said "Sorry" the Doctor was talking not to the Master (as he assumed) but to the TARDIS. He's clearly done something to it.
                    I expect it'll be repairable, if not, there's bound to be another TARDIS somewhere on the planet, hidden away somewhere, he can always tinker with the old chameleon circuit to keep it in Police Box mode.

He absorbed the vortex when he kissed Rose, so he may have found out when the vortex was within him.
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      Wouldn't it be cool if the end of the episode Blink where the Tardis de-materialized it was actually programmed to got to the end of the universe to collect them?

I know it would need a load of plot holes filling, but i think its a nice idea

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours View Post
                        Wouldn't it be cool if the end of the episode Blink where the Tardis de-materialized it was actually programmed to got to the end of the universe to collect them?

I know it would need a load of plot holes filling, but i think its a nice idea
                        more likely that they'll use jacks space hopper.......

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          more likely that they'll use jacks space hopper.......
                          Wow, that's so obvious. How did I not think of that? Talking of things I didn't think of, did anyone at all realise before hand that the Master had used the chameleon arc? Looking back on it, it all seems very obvious they're has been clues all season but did anyone actually work it out before this episode began?

Comment

Well what do we have here.

1. Seeing Jack wasn't that big a deal as he's been in Torchwood. Seeing him play off the Doctor was though.

2. Apocylpse stuff was slightly meh.

3. That watch though. I'd known who was 'eventually' going to be the Master and heard rumours about the Professor turning out to be a Time Lord but...when the watch turned up was when it came together!

4. "You're not alone, that's a good thing right?" "Maybe".

5. OK, John Simm as the Master. That's going to take a bit of getting used to.

Not a classic episode, but a classic ending!
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                              It's explained in the episode, the Timelords can sense such things. Besides that, the Doctor also stated that since Rose couldn't control the power (Flashback shows Rose with her saying 'I bring life' or something) she brought Jack back to life not as a mortal but as a fact, something that was never meant to happen.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                              X