• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blink (2910/310)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    BLINK
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2910

A young woman receives curious messages that seem directed at her, and must avoid a race of murderous statues and rescue the Doctor and Martha, who have become trapped in Earth's past.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:40 PM.

At the risk of sounding a bit hyperbolic, can I nominate it for a Hugo?

The whole thing was marvellous. The guest characters were interesting and sympathetic, the dialogue was sharp, the concept was cool and the execution was good.

LOL at the little dig at ITV, at "It goes beep when there's stuff" and "You told him you were 18."

The scene where ex-DI Shipton died was pure poetry. The bit where Cathy disappeared was the scariest thing since Muuuummeeeey.

On a scale of Daleks in Manhattan to The Empty Child one to ten this is the first ep in over a year to rate a ten.

Next week... Derek Jacobi! Hurrrah!

Madeleine

Comment

... TERRIFYING.

And I'm gonna go ahead and say: Best episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen. There was nothing in there I didn't like. I think i'm also going to give the BBC's version of Jekyll and Hyde a go seeing as Steven Moffat wrote it...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

The BEST episode to date. may sound ironic but the best doctor who episodes are the ones he isn't in, the ones where other people have to solve the problem themselves.

These were well casted extras for the episode, may have to stop talking otherwise i may just repeat the fact of how great it is.

Comment

Brilliant episode. The DW team have confirmed that Doctor-light episodes (inc Random Shoes) can be extremely effective. The abismal show that was Love & Monsters was worth it if Blink was the next gen version.

Incredible baddies, in fact the most terrifying Who has ever had (and I NEVER judge enemies by them being scary...). Loved the gothic horror angle as well.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

That was the best episode of Doctor who I've seen. So creepy and scary. Before watching it, I didn't think it would be that scary, but it was. Loved the charaters. And I loved the way the doctor managed to trick the angels. I don't think there have been monsters like that in sci-fi before. Woot!

I don't think i'll look at a statue the same again

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

I've just remembered another bit I liked - they let you live to death. How fantastical is that?

Anyone reckon the statue on top of the Old Bailey is one of THEM?

Madeleine

Comment

Absolutly fab episode even tho it was Doctor lite it was brilliant, I loved the gothic type horror, I wasn't quite behind-the-sofa but I was hugging the cushion, I don't think I'll be looking at the gargoyles at the church the same for a while or the statues in Fareham. The ending was inspired, making out that the angels may still be in every statue and gargoyle. I had to giggle at the Blackadder-esque 'Wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey' line, it made me want Ben Elton to write an episode, Stephen Moffett does Hitchcock-esque Dr Who really well and I'm looking forward to his episodes next series, the last 3 episodes have more than made up for the disappointing start to the series

Next week
                Spoiler:
                Captain Jack and Derek Jacobi Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                  Anyone reckon the statue on top of the Old Bailey is one of THEM?
                  What about Queen Victoria outside Buckingham Palace?

The Queen? Alien
                  to quote Deadringers

Comment

Must... get .... breath ... back....

That was, without a doubt, pure brilliance. I'll agree, the best episode of the revival yet, taking the place of "The Empty Child", and I'm sure its no coincidence that Steven Moffat wrote that one too.

The Doctor had a definate presence, even though he only had a handfull of minutes screentime. The one sided conversation was nothing short of creepy, and the way in which he delivered the message was both brilliant and beautiful.

Putting the recording on a DVD was a stroke of pure Doctoresque brilliance. Then the way in which he used Shipton to tell Sally what he had to do, knowing that when the rain stopped, he would be gone, its tough not to marvel in the brilliance in both the writing and directing involved.

Then comes the pure horror of the weeping angels. Don't blink, don't turn your back, don't blink. So simple, yet impossible. Not one villain has literally scared me since that bleedin' gask mask wearing Empty Child, but these had me going if I'm honest.

It's a general rule, what you don't see is scarier than what you do, the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is proof of that. To combine the two, what you can and what you can't in that amazing basement scene, creates pure terror. They're approaching, but you never see them move. And those faces, those horrid faces!

The two main characters, Sparrow and Nightingale (loved the ITV quip ) were excellent, and certainly were a mile ahead of Elton Pope and Eugene from Love & Monsters and Random Shoes respectively. They both had brilliant reactions to what was happening to them (Sally especially, her "people have died" line was great).

Of course, Sally also showed the obsession that people can get from encountering The Doctor that we saw with Elton, and a similar obsession of Eugene's after his encounter with Torchwood. The only difference between Sally and the others was that when it was all over, she seemed to get on with her life, or at least we're lead to believe that.

When this season started, I promised myself that unless an episode was pure perfection, it would not get a 10/10. Last week was very good, and deserved a 9.5 (I went for the "****" option instead). I honestly didn't expect to give a single 10/10 this year after the Dalek two parter was such a disappointment, but this episode was exactly what deserves a 10. Perfection.

10/10 - Proof that budgets, bells and whistles are not necessary to make fantastic entertainment.

Top Line: "They let you live to death" chilling to say the least.
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Wow! Given how much moaning there was last week about their being another Doctorlite episodes I don't think anyone was expecting this. That was brilliant, I reckon the best episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen. It was the only episode I've screamed at, in fact its the first TV program to make me scream in fright in over eight years.

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                      Top Line: "They let you live to death" chilling to say the least.
                      A brilliant line and such an amazing concept.

Comment

"They let you live to death"
                        Yeah, that's a pretty interesting way of killing you. Really makes you pause for a second. This episode had tons of thought-provoking science-fiction-y ideas like that.

In fact I'd say this was the most science fiction Doctor Who episode yet, of the revival at least. While previous Doctor Who episodes have used science fiction as a plot device or a backdrop, this one went overboard with quantum observer-effect statue-creatures and explored the consequences of time travel.

One thing I loved about the Weeping Angels (aside from the sheer coolness of the premise) and the episode itself was that there were clear rules (the Angels can only move when you're not looking, but they're fast, and when they touch you they timewarp you into the past so you live to death), and the episode played with this - there was no last-minute technobabble solution or deus ex machina - they beat them with their own pre-established ground rules.

For me, this was the best episode yet. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                          Wow! Given how much moaning there was last week about their being another Doctorlite episodes I don't think anyone was expecting this.
                          I will happily eat my words concerning that. I said
                          Next week, Meh
                          I was so wrong

Comment

got to say that was a fab episode,

quite scary, its the fact that u dont see them makes it scarier, must of been cheap to do without that much special effects but most of done alot of back ache from moving those statues.

makes me afraid of statues abit now lol

how did the doctor and martha get stuck in time anyway????
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                              got to say that was a fab episode,

quite scary, its the fact that u dont see them makes it scarier, must of been cheap to do without that much special effects but most of done alot of back ache from moving those statues.

makes me afraid of statues abit now lol

how did the doctor and martha get stuck in time anyway????

In DW Confidential they showed that the statues were actually actors. Just proves how good the special effects and props are.

It was mentioned when they were talking to the detective how they got stuck, the statues sent them in a timewarp.

Comment

Working...
                              X