• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lazarus Experiment (2906/306)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    THE LAZARUS EXPERIMENT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2906

When he returns Martha home, the Doctor discovers a scientific genius who has created a machine he believes will give him eternal life. But he is not prepared for the horrible creature it turns him into.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:41 PM.

The Doctor and Martha return to the present to find that a Mr Lazarus has the ability to turn young again, with disasterous concequences.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

WOW! I loved this episode, and considering how disappointed I was with the last two - it was fantastic!!

Now I have to wait two weeks.......poo. But the whole non-alien baddy was well cool.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

This was a great ep. It's also my Dad's birthday today. So we had a Chinese then watched this, it's got to be the first family meal we've ever had on a Saturday then watched Doctor Who, so this was a first.

It was a great ep. The baddy was great as was the storyline.

Spoiler:
        Lol, he gets slapped again. Hee.

Agreed hate the two weeks waiting thing. It stinks.
        Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
        LOVE HIM-> DT
        ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

It was an interesting episode - especially seeing the reaction of Martha's family to the doctor. It was good that her mother was suspicious of him, even before being told whatever she was told.

I think it is my second favourite episode this season after 'The Shakespere Code'.

Comment

I really liked that,
            Spoiler:
            I'm guessing that Mr Saxon talking with Mrs Jones is the trap that is set for the Doctor that is closed in the final two parter. I'm thinking that if Mr Saxon is indeed the master then the regeneration machine will also appear again.

Following on from last weeks complaints about the science: Isn't PCR the only way to view DNA and doesn't that require chopping up the DNA so it wouldn't be mutating like that while the Doctor and Martha were looking at it?

The preview at the end was so cool.

Also the big evil monster thingy, who else thought it wouldn't look out of place in Mirrormask?

Comment

This was more like it! The usual hokey science, but a cracking story, a decent script, and interesting characters.

I like the Doctor more when Daleks aren't involved. He's less passionate without being any less compassionate, and while DT does passion well, I prefer it when he does cool and rational.

Martha's siblings are good, and her Mum's instant antipathy towards the Doctor - even before the stranger told her stories about him - is a nice contrast to Jackie's instant come-ons.

at the Doctor cranking it up to eleven. at him still wearing those daps even with his suit.

Spoilers for I dunno what:
              Spoiler:
              Corking trailer for the rest of the series. Jack! Sam from Life on Mars! Creepy people with heads made of hessian sacks!
              Last edited by Madeleine; 05 May 2007, 11:23 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags work best if you know how to spell 'spoil'. Worth remembering.

Madeleine

Comment

Not a bad episode, the first 20 minutes were good, the next 15 were okay, the last 10 were fantastic. However, there was something missing from this ep, I dunno quite what, but something was just off.

The man talking to Martha's mother, creepy yes, but Saxon no, we know that Saxon is played by
                Spoiler:
                John Simm
                , and that's been confirmed by a number of people, including the actor himself.

Overall 7/10

The preview for the second half of the season was brilliant.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I wanna see the guy from Life on Mars in it - he is going to be so cool. I hope he's as awesome as he was in Life on Mars...

sigpic

Comment

Plus Lazarus went on a rampage in the Senedd! Nice! Go Lazarus!

They're going to have great fun electing their new Cabinet next week 'cos they can't get in now the doors have been phutzed with the sonic screwdriver...

Seriously though, it's quite a testament to the thrall in which Dr Who holds Cardiff, if they're allowing the production team to film 'monster-inspired mayhem at a finger buffet' in the home of the National Assembly for Wales! That was not a set.

Though I notice that they were hiding the Senedd inside the National Museum again.

I enjoyed this one. The CGI monster was fantastic, with real attention to detail - the way his lower lip split in two and really opened his mouth up was fab.

Lazarus's utter disregard for his fellow humans was also pretty chilling - they were literally nothing more than food for him and he was completely indifferent to the loss of innocent people solely for his personal benefit. Nice performance from Mark Gatiss there.

And we've got to wait two whole weeks for the next ep - what a trailer!!!! The evil-doers! Making us wait that long!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                      Not a bad episode, the first 20 minutes were good, the next 15 were okay, the last 10 were fantastic. However, there was something missing from this ep, I dunno quite what, but something was just off.

The man talking to Martha's mother, creepy yes, but Saxon no, we know that Saxon is played by
                      Spoiler:
                      John Simm
                      , and that's been confirmed by a number of people, including the actor himself.

Overall 7/10

The preview for the second half of the season was brilliant.
                      Well your partly right...

Spoiler for the last 2/3 episodes of season 3

Spoiler:
                      Well at the end of utopia or in the the sound of drums, the master regenerates from the guy we saw in this episode, who we found out at the end was the master. (The phone call from martha's mum at the end). He regenerates into "John Simm."

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

^That's speculation, nothing more, the content of my tags is fact, please try to keep the difference in mind until episodes 12 and 13 have aired

EDIT: In fact, having re-read your post, I think you have a few wires crossed in terms of the speculation regarding the finale, and the mind boggles at the number of paradoxes (paradi? paradoxs?) that would be involved if that were true
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

This was a rather good episode, much better then last weeks one. I was surprised to see Lazerus 'dry out' his wife, I would of thought he would had made her his 'food server' just so they could get a profit out of people using the machine (all the newspapers kept saying she would turn out to be the main enemy). I didnt quite understand why the Doctor wanted Lazerus to go to the top of the bell tower. It would have made more sense to keep him close to the church organ as sounds waves would not be able to reflect off a bell that high up very well.

A cracking trailer at the end. I wonder what the Doctor meant in the trailer when he said 'I am not the Doctor'. Possibly a human duplicate, someone just impersonating the Doctor for all this time or something else completely different.

Also, Harold Saxon, he should stick to calling himself The Master, much nicer ring to it

1 for the shippers:
                          In the trailer, who do you think was kissing Jack when he woke up and said what he did?

8/10 for the episode, 10/10 for the trailer.
                          Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Never mind the episode. What about that preview?!

When the Doctor did a double-take and re-materialised, my faith in Doctor Who had been restored. It was business as usual. And thank goodness for that after the very disappointing two part Dalek story.

Poor old Mavis Riley. Squeezed like an orange. heh heh heh.

That was smart thinking of Martha to offer her hand to Lazarus in order to obtain a DNA sample. Way to go Martha! She is a smart cookie. I like the rest of the Jones'; I thought they were going to be yet another dysfunctional family, but they seem like a nice down to earth bunch.

I was getting a bit worried when I noticed Tish straggling behind when they were in the cathedral searching for Lazarus. I had this feeling come over me that she was going to end up as a monster snack. Surely that would never have happened? It would have been a total shock if she was killed.

Man, I can't think straight. I'm still reeling from that trailer. Two weeks to wait for another episode. Bah!
                            Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 05 May 2007, 01:26 PM.
                            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                              This was a rather good episode, much better then last weeks one. I was surprised to see Lazerus 'dry out' his wife, I would of thought he would had made her his 'food server' just so they could get a profit out of people using the machine (all the newspapers kept saying she would turn out to be the main enemy). I didnt quite understand why the Doctor wanted Lazerus to go to the top of the bell tower. It would have made more sense to keep him close to the church organ as sounds waves would not be able to reflect off a bell that high up very well.

A cracking trailer at the end. I wonder what the Doctor meant in the trailer when he said 'I am not the Doctor'. Possibly a human duplicate, someone just impersonating the Doctor for all this time or something else completely different.

Also, Harold Saxon, he should stick to calling himself The ****** , much nicer ring to it

1 for the shippers:
                              In the trailer, who do you think was kissing Jack when he woke up and said what he did?

8/10 for the episode, 10/10 for the trailer.
                              Liked this episode,liked it even more when I realised the locations included Wells cathedral (went to Avalon and the Friday auction was held inside) its always a buzz for me to spot things like that (sad I know).
                              As for the trailer the scarecrow things look to be very creepy I can see them making the next batch of action figures wait and see. HAROLD SAXON!
                              SHAME ON YOU NO SPOILER TAGS I go out of my way not to know whats coming up now I am gonna sulk. Oh my guess on who kissed Jack is Martha.

Comment

Working...
                              X