No announcement yet.

Smith and Jones (2901/301)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Interesting that the Doctor is reluctant to get another companion. Maybe he feels he got 'too' close to Rose.

2. Martha will definately be a change of pace she feels like she has a lot more 'bang'. Welcome aboard.

3. The Judoon were good.

4. The Doctor did a good job outsmarting Finnegan.

Overall, good start to the series.
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Really liked this one, I was expecting to like Martha, but nowhere near as much as I did, her relationship with The Doctor should turn out to be something much different to the one he shared with Rose. They click, but in a different way, whereas Rose wanted all the adventure, as did the Doctor, Martha picks things up quickly, and thinks like he does, all looking good at the moment.

The Judoon were good, though I wasn't quite so keen on the Plasmavore, not quite as sinister as she could have been IMO. I thought the post X-ray scene was a bit too much "kids TV" for me, had they left it at the nursery line it'd have worked, but the jumping about, not so much. My only other trouble was him crossing his own time line, I know he explained it, and it was VERY well excecuted, it just didn't sit right with me.

That said, overall, a good episode, picking up a great 8/10 from me, better than both New Earth and Rose IMO.

Best Line:

(Paraphrasing)
      Martha: Do you have a brother?
      Doctor: Me? No. Not any more.

Damn you RTD with your little subtle lines!
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

just an fyi for folks. this IS the official thread...i just don't have a folder to put it in yet.

I tried to make one but couldn't get it to work so we're waiting on darren

as soon as a folder exists, this will go where it's supposed to be.

so, in the meantime, pardon the construction mess and have fun
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Wow, now Martha is a good character. I am very happy that Dotor Who has returned to our TV Screens ,and I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

This was much better than "New Earth" or dare I say "Rose"
          Beckett: How come I never make friends like that ?
          McKay: You need to get out more.
          Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much out do you get ?
          - Atlantis: "The Rising"

Comment

The sonic-screwdriver fix was way too easy, although it did add some nice scenes and the one liners were brilliant with the Doctor not having it.
            one of my fave part was

Martha-well if your not going to answer me

doctor- no it realy it is its a screwdriver and its sonic

also when the sonic screwdriver borke

doctor- my sonic screwdriver i love my sonic screwdriver

then near ened when he was trying to stop the mri and he goes for the sonic screwdriver buts its not there lol

i was a bit scared when it broke i thoght they were going to get rid of it again.

as for the whole ep i liked it and i liked Martha lot more then i liked rose when i frist saw her. thats petty much all i have to say about it i liked the music that was playing when martha watched the tarids dispear in the alley

Comment

Martha is absolutely WONDERFUL! And she's so much better than Rose that it isn't even funny. Whew! The Doctor has a companion with a brain! Book smarts AND common sense and good looks as well. I wonder if the Doctor will sonic up her mobile so she can talk to her family while she's away.

The fact that EVERYONE was panicking over the whole oxygen thing seemed a little overdone. I mean, Martha can't be the ONLY one with enough common sense to realize that if they aren't all dead already then there must be something protecting them. I'm also disappointed that no one mentioned the fact that Earth normal gravity was brought along as well.

The Judoon were very Vogon-like, but still cool. I wonder what made them decide that the humans were NOT harboring the plasmavore, just the fact that Martha ratted her out?

Very spiffy start to the new season and a great introduction to the new Companion. And next week's ep? YAY!
              Spoiler:
              I love Shakespeare!

Comment

The first time the Doctor said plasmavore I actually thought he said plasma whore and then had to listen again.

I really like Martha a lot. I liked Rose alright but she was a bit too over emotional at times whereas Martha seems like she's got a nice calm head on her shoulders. I am a bit worried that they're setting it up for Martha to be mooning over the Doctor but I guess we'll wait and see.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Can someone tell me what the Doctor said to Martha when he bumps into her on the street? The whole tie thing, I mean. I ran it back once to try and catch it, but still wasn't sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    Can someone tell me what the Doctor said to Martha when he bumps into her on the street? The whole tie thing, I mean. I ran it back once to try and catch it, but still wasn't sure.
                    "Like so... see"

Pointing out he can time travel

Comment

Ahhh.... I think I was trying to make the "like so" into one word. LOL! Thanks!

Comment

I suppose the main thing about this episode is the introduction of Martha, which was brilliantly done. I like her already and enjoyed her dynamic with the Doctor. I liked Rose but I think Martha will exceed her in my eyes, possibly because she's closer to my age and reminds me of a later Sarah Jane Smith. With Martha Jones, I think our Doctor has met his match and for that I rejoice!

All in all, it was a good solid episode. Loved the tie/time travel gag.

Next week's episode looks even better!
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Someone asked where he got the second sonic screwdriver. I just assumed he went back in time to get it, part of the tie stunt. No?

Good point by Shadow about a whole hospital full of doctors not bright enough to figure out they'd be dead already if there wasn't a force field keeping the air in. Or are they all too busy doctoring to watch sci fi? And no-one mentioning the artificial gravity.

That said, great ep. Loved the space rhinos, though my sharp-eyed 6yr old nephew pointed out only one of them took his helmet off.
                          Martha was excellent. This bodes well.
                          sigpic
                          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Had another look at the episode and thought I should comment on the great job that David Tennant did... particularly with his eyebrows...
                            It's a shame he didn't lose shoes permanently... The Barefoot Doctor has a nice ring to it.

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                            That said, great ep. Loved the space rhinos, though my sharp-eyed 6yr old nephew pointed out only one of them took his helmet off.
                            I daresay rhino prosthetics must be a bit tricky to get in and out of. Looks very realistic.

I like it that the Judoon were Vogonish and not the real villain of the piece. Their native tongue was very tongue in cheek... And then the plasmavore opening her handbag and then drinking out of a straw... what a hoot!
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Arh! I have had a rotten day, I only just finished watching the episode.

It feels like coming home. I love this show so much right now.

I liked the little references to past eps whether intentional or not. The *run* for your life line and he grabs her hand. The *kiss* but it isn't a kiss really and the setting being a hospital, but instead of the crescent on the side *New Earth* we actually go to the Moon this time.

I also thought the Rhino things were pretty good even if we only see one of them without the helmet, in fact for me it worked better for not being able to see all of them without their helmets, seemed slightly more sinister and regardless of them being *the Law* they were pretty creepy with the whole "judge/jury & executioner".

Not so good: I don't like it when extras have to act panicked as it rarely works, and it didn't really work here, the patients just looked too hysterical (I think that is the word I am looking for) I think you would be confused and maybe a little freaked but mass hysteria? Not sure on that one, not given the time frame involved.

Martha, I like Martha, but I hope we don't see too much of her family, I found with Rose, that although I liked Jackie and could put up with Mickey, that really I liked them better in very small doses, and also Rose would go on so much about leaving her mother behind... well it was over-done if you ask me. So I hope Martha is more independent from her family, or at least we don't hear all about them, some things are best left to the imagination.

Over all it was a nice introduction to Martha, and for me the Bigger on the inside, never gets old so I liked that, I also liked that The Doctor still has his sonic screwdriver oh and the new suit is different, but I think I like it. It is weird that they changed it, I mean it wasn't really something that happened in classic Who (not just because a new series is starting) I mean that is why The Doctor choosing his clothing is a thing now in Doctor Who, he only really does it once for each regeneration.... Anyway times change I get that.

Next week...

Spoiler:
                              I wonder how this will go down, I hope it isn't too cheesy. I like cheesy in Doctor Who but somehow witches and Shakespeare? Yes I know. But here in Doctor Who, which isn't Shakespeare, well that says cheese to me.

Oh I have to say every time he said "the moon" I kept cracking up, it reminded me of Futurama... whaling on the moon... sorry but it did.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                Lol i had to play that bit twice to catch what he siad.
                                Like how they did that to show the whole back in time thing. As i had 4gottern about the tie thing by the end of the ep so it was a nice little trick. Kinda reminded me of a Red Dwarf ep however.

The Rhinos things looked cool. Kinda star warsish. I could have seen one sitting in the Mos Esly cantena.
                                Hope we see them again one day. The'r rocket like ships where both retro and cool. I also like how they are not 100% bad guys.
                                Why can't Stargate have cool looking aliens like that?
                                sigpic
                                Banner Made By Me for Me
                                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X