• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smith and Jones (2901/301)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    SMITH AND JONES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2901

An ordinary day of work at the Royal Hope Hospital becomes extraordinary for Martha Jones when the building is teleported to the Moon, where an army of rhinoceros-like police called the Judoon are hunting for an alien hiding among them.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:41 PM.

Just aired tonight in the UK, what did everyone think?

Personally I thought it was great, like the new companion, and thought the visual effects were particularly nice.

EDIT: Oh cool, someone is making a season 29 folder as I type this, speedy thanks!

Comment

I liked it - was a giggle.

Liking the new Gal - shes different enough from Rose to impress me
      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Way better than I was expecting after the awful Christmas special. Planet Zovirax made me realise how much I missed this show. Shame I won't be around to see most of the series.

Comment

Thanks Skydiver. This is the correct thread, right?

So, just to kick things off. What did everyone think of the series opener?

Wow! The show still runs along at a lightning fast pace. I'm liking the new companion. She is very lovely. Throughout the episode I noticed the way the Doctor was observing her, as if sizing her up as a likely companion. I think she's going to fit in well. Damn, there's a lot more I was going to say, but I've already forgotten much of the episode. A second watch is needed, heh.
          Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 31 March 2007, 12:17 PM.
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Yes, sorry to the mods, my fault, I got a bit trigger happy - just so excited about the episode. If my topic could be merged with this one please I would be ever so grateful.

Comment

Awesome ep, so funny. Its nice to have a smart companion. She's also really funny and I loved every minute!
              Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
              LOVE HIM-> DT
              ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

I thought it was brilliant, much better than Rose for an introduction. I liked the planet Zovirix jibe. The rhino's were a bit suspect I'd have laughed myself sick if the Intergalactic police force were pigs . I like the fact Martha has brains and is so different to Rose, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this series, this ep wasn't as disappointing as New World, which is a good omen, I hope

Comment

i really enjoyed it and agree that she is differenly enough from rose that i quite like her, i didn't want them to simply replace rose and move on, so i think having the docter still pained about it is a nice touch

Comment

I reckon that's definately the best season opener Doctor Who has done since it came back. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

The Judoon are my ideal aliens big, Rhinos, and take no crap from anyone, hope we see them again. The best part of this episode was the way it unravelled with everyone assuming the Jagoon are the bad guys and then a twist which completely changed the tone of the episode.

There was a nice reference to the last series with the hospital shop (New Earth). Mr Saxon is defiantly the running phrase of the series, with two references towards the end of show, the radio report and the 'Vote Saxon' poster in the alleyway.

Martha is going to make one heck of a companion, she is completely different to Rose and this refreshes the entire show. The sonic-screwdriver fix was way too easy, although it did add some nice scenes and the one liners were brilliant with the Doctor not having it.

I just hope the Doctor won’t pine over Rose for too much longer…

Defiantly worth watching again
                      Last edited by Stricken; 01 April 2007, 01:20 AM.

Comment

oh yes, we all thoroughly enjoyed it over here
                        I love Martha's family - nice touch there after just having Rose & Jackie

I was a bit disconcerted by RTD's comment (in the Confidential) that the relationship between Martha and The Doctor is more of unrequited love.

Those Jagoon were great though, weren't they? A little Vogon-like if you ask me, but none the worse for that (and I was waiting for another "Arthur Dent" comment, but alas it didn't come)

We can't wait for next week already!
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Before I saw the episode, I thought the Jagoon would be overly cheesy, but the animatronics aere actually pretty good and I thought they were handled well.
                          You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
                          And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Id just like to correct everyone first. They were called Judoon, not Jagoon.

Anyway, I thought this was a very good season opener, not as good as 'Rose', but hey, to each his own

Is it just me, or does RTD have alot of respect for the late Douglas Adams? Im only asking because of the various references and familiarities like with the Judoon, they reminded me heavily of the Vogons, the 'Arthur Dent' comment in 'The Christmas Invasion' and also the upcoming DW episode '42'.

I thought the whole 'sucking blood through a straw' to be kinda cheesy but thats what makes DW fun and enjoyable to watch.

Martha is going to fit right in

I had heard of the Sonic Screwdriver getting destroyed, but was only from the tabloid newspaper 'The Sun'. I gotta admit that I got a bit teary eyed when the sonic screwdriver got wrecked, it was a star in its own self. Glad the Doctor got a new one. Where did he get it though? I thought the factory that made them was destroyed accidently and made into an extra-terrestial banana plantation, as explained in 'The Doctor Dances'.

Guess we will probably find out soon.

Overall, 9/10, not exactly what I was expecting but still brilliant.
                            Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Martha reminds me of Rose in alot of ways but probably because all humans would ask those type of questions. I had suspicions that the evil lady would be either slitheen or an obsorbaloff but meh I'm glad it wasn't.

Yesterday on Richard & Judy (my dad watches it) in the interview with Russel T. Davies he nodded, smiled and said 'Love to bring those guys back.' when they looked at the Ood so maybe they return in this series lol just me being paranoid maybe.

Anyways this episode I really enjoyed and next time's looks good too, the doctor is great and so funny.
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                              X