No announcement yet.

Daleks in Manhattan (2904/304)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw, I think a lot of scifi shows go with the shopping list or at least it would explain a lot about what went wrong with Torchwood.

We are not talking stellar TV, no matter how much I love my Doctor Who I am more then aware of all the faults I just think in some ways the faults here may become less so when the second half airs.

Of course I could be wrong.

EDIT: Spoilers "Evolution of the Daleks" you are warned....
    Spoiler:
    I was so very, very wrong.
    Last edited by Willow'sCat; 01 May 2007, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
      Aw, I think a lot of scifi shows go with the shopping list or at least it would explain a lot about what went wrong with Torchwood.
      Torchwood Shopping list
      6 pints blood
      9 swearwords of a mild nature
      12 swearwords that rhyme with "duck"
      A same-sex kiss
      Gwen lying to Rhys
      Jack looking dishy
      Attempted or actual sexual assault
      Don't forget the same-sex kiss, mind
      Shots of Glamourous Cardiff

Madeleine

Comment

You forgot the sex scene(s). Can't really be Torchwood without the sex scenes.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

d'oh!

Madeleine

Comment

Well finally! I almost never watched this episode after reading through the thread. I'll have to try and steer clear of the discussion threads if I miss an episode on its first run.

The episode wasn't too bad; it was a bit predictable in places - I instantly knew that Laszlo wouldn't make it out of the sewers - but there were some brilliant scenes particularly Martha, who was excellent in this episode. I was impressed with how she managed to summon up some courage to order the Daleks around even though she looked terrified. She just gets better with each episode.

I don't know what to make of the new and improved Dalek (Hulek?) hybrid other than that he sure is one ugly looking...thing. I have a couple of questions. Did we see those pig slaves in an earlier episode (I'm sure I did) and should I watch part 2?
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
              Did we see those pig slaves in an earlier episode (I'm sure I did) and should I watch part 2?
              The Slitheen modified a regular pig to look humanoid (although small) to act as "pilot" to their "crashed alien space ship."

Comment

Not enough Art-Deco, too much pork and too much Extermination mixed in.

Wasen't good enough to keep me watching and in a rare event I got up and did something else rather than watch more, that for me is bad, I can watch Dr to the end then feel good or bad but this episode was awful, the Accents were terrible and the whole social depression idea was way too familiar like the first quater of King-Kong.....I didn't even want to see the next episode and so I skipped it and saw the one after out of protest.

2/10 at a push
                sigpic
                In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

Weird ep. After hearing everything about it, I was prepared for the worst, so it wasn't as bad as I imagined. There just wasn't much there..... No really great dialogue. Tallulah's accent was dreadful (I thought the rest were okay), but then again Brooklyn accents realy bother me to begin with. Actually, the entire character of Tallulah was dreadful. Sewers were good, Martha was great, again. Sciencey Doctor was good, was expecting a jellyfish comment, as someone said earlier in the thread it's like Animal Farm every week now. But the pigs didn't bother me, they're pretty low on the complaint list. But I thought the "evolved" Dalik looked pretty stupid, and the "cliffhanger" didn't even feel cliff-hangery.....it didn't feel like peril. All in all, this episode didn't leave me weeping for next week (we didn't even get a promo), like every other ep of Doctor Who has.

Easily the weakest ep of the season, the only one that I haven't loved.

Comment

Wow, you summed up "Daleks in Manhatten" very well, Trek Girl. It was not an engaging episode, at all. I almost found myself bored....and I'm never bored during Doctor Who.

Disappointing after 3 really good episodes. Hopefully, number 5 will be an improvement.

Comment

That was odd. It felt like a Doctor-lite episode even though it wasn't.

I agree with removing the Daleks for awhile or at least feed them to cybermen. They were much better last time. Why did four Daleks make it to New York? At the end of Series 2, it looks like only Dalek Sec makes the temporal shift. I agree that the Doctor should have been a bit more worried about the jelly-fish thing, given he saw the inside of a Dalek with Rose.

The pig people made no sense to me either. I agree that while pigs are close to humans in some physical aspects, the experiments still don't explain why we couldn't have Dalek racoons or Dalek sewer rats.

The episode was also dreadfully slow. One family member on my end quit watching, and I found myself constantly staring at the clock. The bad song didn't help.

I like Martha, and her behavior this episode continues to show why she is a great companion for the Doctor. It just wasn't enough to save a bad episode.

A 6/10. I hope it will get better, but I doubt it based on the other thread. At least we got to skip the Ninja monks or someone screaming "Feed Me" this time.
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

For all that everyone (including myself, I think) have complained about Tallulah's accent I'm watching Singin' in the Rain right now and the character Lina Lamont sounds quite a bit like Tallulah... only more annoying.

Comment

Funnily enough Tallulah's accent didn't bother me nearly as much as her name! Made me think of Bankhead far too much. Those "special" Daleks that do something more than just chant "exterminate, exterminate" all the time are boring, IMO. And the hybrid looked like a man with a jellyfish on his head.
                          sigpic

Comment

No better on second viewing, I'm afraid...
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X