• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gridlock (2903/303)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    GRIDLOCK
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2903

The Doctor introduces Martha to New Earth 5 billion years in the future -- but after she is kidnapped, he must make his way through an underground highway of travelers who spend decades on the road, not knowing that the world above them is dead.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:42 PM.

wow

lol my dog wouldn't stop playing through out the entire episode but the Face of Boe's secret was nice. 'You are not alone...' and CJ was right that he would die in the episode. The whole infinite motorway thing was a tad rediculous but incredibly well done. I liked the fact that the New New Yorkians in the city above hadn't abandoned them - they were all dead. Creepy but excellent way to deliver a sequel to the New New York storyline. I wonder if this is the last we'll see of that planet?

Anywho I liked the return of the cat sister from New Earth, continuence in Doctor Who is brilliant. Have the crab like creatures been in it before? And what were they doing under the planet anyways? I miss the face of boe lol

My favourite line was the doctor saying 'Wait a minute *stops hugging cat sister* last time we met you were killing semi-human hybrids!!'

lol cant wait for next weeks - Daleks in Manhatten here we come!!!
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

DT really has mastered the "melancholic yet still thoughtful and insightful" look. After the Face Of Boe spoke... Awesome. Equally amazing was the expression as The Doctor was describing his home planet (Gallifrey, I assume?) for the second time at the end.
      Last edited by Anubis69; 14 April 2007, 11:46 AM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

It was a great ending to the episode. Showing some good acting and seeing the Doctor opening up is something I always like to see.

Rest of the episode was ok but not brilliant.

Comment

The Doctor has started to unravel himself to Martha which is great. He realised that has to move on from Rose although he did take her to New New Earth where he and Rose went last year.

One thing that slightly confuses me is that if on the world above everyone had died, where the footage was coming from when the Doctor used the sonic screwdriver on the screen at the beginning of the episode.

I wanted the Doctor to jump in the TARDIS and fly after Martha but if he had done that, then we wouldn't have met some of the more colourful characters of New New York. The want to leave for a better life drove these people to kidnap Martha and is the ambition of them all. The fact that no-one realised that they weren't going anywhere was bizarre, how can there be space for them to move if they are going round in a circuit?

I wished that what happened was the result of the Doctor’s action from last year, and that the entire population had died as a result of a disease that they couldn’t cure but the patches worked just as well I guess.

Something in me told me that the face of Boe's words would be "You are not alone" mainly because of the name of the episode at the end of the series.
          Whilst the Doctor seems sure that Boe was wrong I doubt he his. The Face of Boe has seen a lot and knows a lot, he may have seen things that the Doctor hasn't seen another TimeLord....

Comment

That reminds me. Are we supposed to assume that the rain at the beginning was artificial considering that nobody under the city had seen the sky.

Comment

I cried at the end. Not only because of Tennant's amazing portrayal of the pain and loss the Dr feels when he finally talks about his people and his past.. but also because the hymn they played in the background in Abide With Me and that damn song just hits me every time... it was played at my grandad's funeral when I was 11.

Anyway. Damn good episode.. possibly my least favourite of the three so far but still damn good. Felt a bit slower; definitely less action-packed and the bottle-effect of filming most of it in the small confines of the car set made it drag just a little for me. Adored the set piece of the Dr jumping from car to car - wonderful sequence.

Tennant, once again, was fabulous and I thought the Dr's anguish at losing Martha and feeling resposible for her was wonderful. The Face of Bo was great and his secret... wow. Am guessing that's something that's going to be followed up on this season?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                Have the crab like creatures been in it before?
                I assume they have because in the end credits there was a line referncing who they were created by... I assumed that meant they had been created/mentioned/shown in a previous Dr Who ep and they were giving credit to the creator (as in eps of SGA etc where there are clips from previous eps, they credit the writers of those clips in the end credits).

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                DT really has mastered the "melancholic yet still thoughtful and insightful" look. After the Face Of Boe spoke... Awesome. Equally amazing was the expression as The Doctor was describing his home planet (Gallifrey, I assume?) for the second time at the end.
                Word. He blows me away.

One last thought - what was the idiot BBC1 announcer thinking? The way he introduced the show, saying "don't miss a minute of it, make sure you record Dr Who coming right after the traffic report from [whateverhernamewas]" really threw me. I *do* record the show so I can rewatch it and I missed hitting record straight away because I thought the Beeb were showing a traffic report first and then Dr Who. Pillock!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                  I cried at the end. Not only because of Tennant's amazing portrayal of the pain and loss the Dr feels when he finally talks about his people and his past.. but also because the hymn they played in the background in Abide With Me and that damn song just hits me every time... it was played at my grandad's funeral when I was 11.
                  I know what you mean. It was played at my granddad's funeral when I was 14. To this day it gets me.

Anyway. Damn good episode.. possibly my least favourite of the three so far but still damn good. Felt a bit slower; definitely less action-packed and the bottle-effect of filming most of it in the small confines of the car set made it drag just a little for me. Adored the set piece of the Dr jumping from car to car - wonderful sequence.

Tennant, once again, was fabulous and I thought the Dr's anguish at losing Martha and feeling resposible for her was wonderful. The Face of Bo was great and his secret... wow. Am guessing that's something that's going to be followed up on this season?
                  It was nice to see the Doctor messing up, too. As he admitted, he was simply showing off to Martha, and ended up putting her at risk as a result. Of course, the majority of his adventures come about because of stuff-ups with the TARDIS - but this time it was entirely down to him.

'You are not alone...'. Hmm. What does this suggest? Presumably there's another timelord out there - but who? Could it be (dot, dot, dot) the Master.

Ooh, yes please. Not that I think we'd be that lucky. Aww. Go on.
                  sigpic

Comment

The creatures are from an old school episode which according to RTD has been lost. I got the feeling the Doctor had seen them before..

And apparently its forty years since they were last seen

EDIT: The Macra from the Second Doctor Episode The Macra Terror
                    Last edited by Stricken; 14 April 2007, 12:21 PM.

Comment

The Macra race first appeared in 1967 Second Doctor story The Macra Terror.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                        I know what you mean. It was played at my granddad's funeral when I was 14. To this day it gets me.
                        Really? Was your grandad in the navy? I remember my grandma asking the vicar for it specifically for that reason...

Did anyone watch Dr Who Confidential? How sweet was David Tennant with that little kitten walking on his shoulder?! Awwwwwwww.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Did anyone watch Dr Who Confidential? How sweet was David Tennant with that little kitten walking on his shoulder?! Awwwwwwww.....

I loved that, he wanted to be familar with the kitten before working with it

Comment

Right then you lot - the campaign to give Brannigan and his family their own series starts here! Who's with me?
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stricken View Post
                              I loved that, he wanted to be familar with the kitten before working with it
                              Cute guy trying to bond with sweet, fluffy kitten? *dies from the adorkableness*
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X