• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shakespeare Code (2902/302)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    THE SHAKESPEARE CODE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2902

When the Doctor takes Martha on a trip to see an original Shakespeare play, they find that the Bard and his theater are being used for sinister ends by a group of witches.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:42 PM.

I liked this lots. They really went to town playng with their anachronisms, and really went to town with their tudor London.

Martha is The Dark Lady, eh? And Will Shakespeare stood on stage quoting JK Rowling

Madeleine

Comment

Thought it was great. Shakespeare getting all his lines from the Doctor got old after a bit but it was pretty funny. Finally a Back to the Future reference

Comment

I liked it
        twas funny
        Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by in circles View Post
          Thought it was great. Shakespeare getting all his lines from the Doctor got old after a bit but it was pretty funny. Finally a Back to the Future reference
          If I were a big fan of Shakespeare i'd probably have found those hilarious. But i'm not. Most went right over my head. I suck so bad!

Still, it was a great episode and that younger witch had a really creepy (and quite sexy if i'm honest. Oh. Just me then?) cackle that I feel is noteworthy. The special effects of the globe were also awesome.

The trailer next week is for New Earth again.... What happened to "one trip" and why the deus is Martha falling for the Doctor already?
          Last edited by Anubis69; 07 April 2007, 02:32 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

OK...

1. Liked how they worked witchcraft into a scifi setting.

2. Liked the fact that, of course a female like Martha would stand out like a sore thumb in Elizabethan England.

3. "This last line doesn't make any sense" "None of his lines do".

4. And Martha blowing off Shakespeare.

5. So the Doctor is still attached to Rose! In some ways that makes sense, he was in a pretty vulnerable position mentally when he came accross her.

Overall, good ep, probably has the edge on last weeks.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It was a good episode, but the background noise was very distracting and spoiled my enjoyment a bit. I could barely make out much of the dialogue throughout the episode. All I got from Shakespeare's speech to defeat the witches was "BLAH BLAH mumble, be gone!" and the Doctor giving thanks to "good old J K!" Eh? Did he mean J K Rowling? Surely her words didn't save the day? I should wear headphones the next time I watch Dr Who.

Oh and did the Doctor completely blow off Martha when they were in bed together? I REALLY hope he did because I can't be arsed with all this 'shipper stuff going on between the Doctor and his companion.

Next week's trailer looked very promising and was that who I thought it was at the beginning of the clip?
              Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 07 April 2007, 04:57 PM.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

"57 Academics just punched the air"

Love it!

I really wasn't sure about this one, I admit it was a little twee in places and the HP stuff (although I get it as an in joke) I could do without.

The Rose stuff I could have done without also, what was that line? Something like, she is the reason I fight *groans* Double groan for Martha's TimeLord!cush, do we really need that?

OK so Shakespeare is a genius, but the fawning by The Doctor was a little too much. At least they show him as very human and didn't put him completely on a pedestal.

Positives:

Looked fantastic, some other scifi shows could learn a thing or two about making villages (or towns) this realistic looking, and not one set of overt breasts to be seen. I guess The BBC does have the upper hand on period costuming and all that....

The witches (not witches) were cliched but I guess if you have to have a cliche it may as well be this, I do like my witches but as usual I was a little lost on the plot. So they were on Earth to destroy it but WHY?

Also it isn't really new info that The Doctor has no name, didn't we hear that in one of McCoy's stories.... *my head hurts* I am sure we have had that said before, it will be interesting to see where they take that (given a certain Doctor Who series preview clip).

Over-all good but not great.

Next week...

Spoiler:
                Looks fantastic! LOL! So Ardel plays a big cat thing like the Nurses, not sure if that is a step up from Craggy Island or not.

Missster.Freeman Were you listening through surround sound or something? I find I have to watch a lot of these shows with mono. I just can't stand being able to hear what the third extra from the right is saying while the main cast are talking! Mind you, I would assume it would be bloody noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                  All I got from Shakespeare's speech to defeat the witches was "BLAH BLAH mumble, be gone!" and the Doctor giving thanks to "good old J K!" Eh? Did he mean J K Rowling? Surely her words didn't save the day? I should wear headphones the next time I watch Dr Who.
                  The last word of the speech to defeat the witches (as provided by Martha when Shakespeare got stuck) was "Expeliarmus!"

I really enjoyed this episode. Loved the humour in it (how many Shakespeare in-jokes can you fit into one episode? Made me glad of my classical education! ) loved the adventure. I thought the doctor's reactions were very believable.. as RTD said in Dr Who Confidential, the Dr is still mourning Rose and whilst he acts his usual exuberant self when there's action and fun and games going on, in the quieter moments he has a lot to be pensive about. I totally got that from the scene in the inn with him and Martha. Loved that he was so oblivious to her interest there too... Am not sure yet where I stand on the shipperiness... I do kinda like that little thrill to it (after all, I fancy the pants off of David Tennant so why shouldn't she? ) but it also feels somehow a little squicky and I do hope they don't go too much further with it.. long-term it's not going to do any favours to Martha's characterisation as a strong, intelligent woman to have her mooning over him all the time...

Tennant continues to utterly blow me away with his portrayal of the Dr. How anyone can go in a heartbeat to exuberantly eccentric and full of life to utterly serious and solemn with a core of sadness and loneliness. Wow.

Next week's ep looks AMAZING! Can't wait for it...
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, Love's labour was definitely won, as far as I'm concerned. Great ep! The "Expelliarmus!" just about dropped me outta my chair. LOL! I can see how parts of it might have bothered some people, but happily I'm not one of them. I'm still in the full bore of squee over the new season and am thus willing to overlook any naggy things. And Martha said the same thing I was thinking: "Doesn't look much like his portrait." hehe

Exactly how many queens is the Doctor planning to piss off? ALL of them? LOL!

Comment

I adored almost every second of that episode. I can still do without Martha crushing on the Doctor but everything else was just about perfect. I had forgotten how brilliant that show is with words and David Tennant just blows me away. It constantly amazes me how he can act so exuberant and childlike and yet at the same time seem like he carries the weight of the world (or would universe be more appropriate?) on his shoulders. I just can't say enough about the dialogue though. I am so glad this show is back.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Hi, what did the doctor mean by his phrase "57 Academics just punched the air" ?

Is that a reference to something, if so, what?

Comment

Absolutely loved it, great. The Harry Potter bits were just too funny!

Boy, it is nice to see a new Sci-Fi show on now with good writing. (Not counting BSG since it's in hiatus).

Comment

Originally posted by 337 View Post
                            Hi, what did the doctor mean by his phrase "57 Academics just punched the air" ?

Is that a reference to something, if so, what?
                            It is a reference to some in Academia believing that Shakespeare was gay or had a homosexual agenda. I don't see it myself. But I did like the line. It worked on so many different levels for this RTD fan.

EDIT: And if you are wondering why he said it... go back and really listen to the line that is said just before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post

The witches (not witches) were cliched but I guess if you have to have a cliche it may as well be this, I do like my witches but as usual I was a little lost on the plot. So they were on Earth to destroy it but WHY?
                              Sure the witches were cliche... but that cliche actually comes from Shakespeare. They are cliched Shakespeare witches.
                              "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                              "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                              BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X