• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Captain" Jack Harkness?

Not a chance.
    There is no such rank in the RAF.
    Equal rank to an army captain is flight Lieutenant
    Jack's epulettes show him as being a Group Captain which is equel to an army Colonel or navy Captain.

Captain Jack is from America, presumably... I don't know if you noticed how he sounds American, not British.

We don't know a lot about this character... on Torchwood, of course, we have learned more about this guy...

Spoiler:
    Including the fact that "Jack Harkness" isn't even his real name! He took it from a guy he liked and knew he was going to die.
    "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by docballen View Post
      Captain Jack is from America, presumably... I don't know if you noticed how he sounds American, not British.

We don't know a lot about this character... on Torchwood, of course, we have learned more about this guy...

Spoiler:
      Including the fact that "Jack Harkness" isn't even his real name! He took it from a guy he liked and knew he was going to die.
      Yup but he is supposed to be in the RAF, hence the uniform. It was quite common in the early years of the war for americans to volunteer for the RAF or Canadian air force.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanduay View Post
        Yup but he is supposed to be in the RAF, hence the uniform. It was quite common in the early years of the war for americans to volunteer for the RAF or Canadian air force.
        Spoilers Torchwood/Doctor Who.

Spoiler:
        Well since we now know he stole that identity it is of little concern to me whether it is accurate or not. In fact in Doctor Who it never struck me as a real title, I just assumed the other stuff we now know was tacked on for Torchwood, but not even thought of when they conceived the character... it seemed more about what "Jack the Con artist" wanted to call himself.

Anyway it sounds cool. Leave him alone.

Comment

spoilers for Captain Jack Harkness...

[spoiler]I thought they said he was in an American volunteer division [or: enter some other unit deisgnation]?
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            spoilers for Captain Jack Harkness...

[spoiler]I thought they said he was in an American volunteer division [or: enter some other unit deisgnation]?
            He was an american volunteer posted into the (Britis) RAF 266 squadron

Trust me I know about the battle of britain.

He is one of the most engaging characters on tv tho'

Comment

I've had the very same issue, it really doesn't work. However when he first appeared, I'm sure he wore Flt Lt rank braids... they changed it for Torchwood however.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                I've had the very same issue, it really doesn't work. However when he first appeared, I'm sure he wore Flt Lt rank braids... they changed it for Torchwood however.
                Hehe I looked up that episode on disc. Guess what, when Jack first appeared in Dr Who, he was wearing the uniform of a Wing Commander. (3 stripes, in Torchwood he has 4)
                I also found a website that confirms that Group Captain rank was never shortened to just captain.

Unusual for the BBC to cock up like that.

Do not forget when Jack was in 1941 he was actually serving, not just walking around in a uniform.

Comment

i always thought he refered to himself as captain, because he was captain of his ship

Comment

Spoiler:
                    In the episode when Jack went back in time we found out that he met the real Captain Jack Harkness (who was an american) in 1941 and knowing that he was going to die, took his name

Comment

we know that ^, they've been discussing it above

Comment

the scene where they kiss each other made me squirm!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                          the scene where they kiss each other made me squirm!!!
                          Made me squirm with jealousy.

Comment

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
                            i always thought he refered to himself as captain, because he was captain of his ship
                            me too and because Captain Jack Harkness sounded hotter than just Jack Harkness and because Captain Jack Harkness when people "SCiFi people" say it to POTC fans they get as far as "Captain Jack" before the POTC fans finish it with "Sparrow" and you hit them and say "No stupid, Harkness haven't you seen Torchwood!" and then you laugh

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Jumper View Post
                              me too and because Captain Jack Harkness sounded hotter than just Jack Harkness and because Captain Jack Harkness when people "SCiFi people" say it to POTC fans they get as far as "Captain Jack" before the POTC fans finish it with "Sparrow" and you hit them and say "No stupid, Harkness haven't you seen Torchwood!" and then you laugh
                              LOL! Well they do have many things in common.

Comment

Working...
                              X