Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    cebu, philippines
    Posts
    62

    Default "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Not a chance.
    There is no such rank in the RAF.
    Equal rank to an army captain is flight Lieutenant
    Jack's epulettes show him as being a Group Captain which is equel to an army Colonel or navy Captain.

  2. #2
    Chief Master Sergeant docballen's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Captain Jack is from America, presumably... I don't know if you noticed how he sounds American, not British.

    We don't know a lot about this character... on Torchwood, of course, we have learned more about this guy...

    Spoiler:
    Including the fact that "Jack Harkness" isn't even his real name! He took it from a guy he liked and knew he was going to die.
    "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

  3. #3
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    cebu, philippines
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by docballen View Post
    Captain Jack is from America, presumably... I don't know if you noticed how he sounds American, not British.

    We don't know a lot about this character... on Torchwood, of course, we have learned more about this guy...

    Spoiler:
    Including the fact that "Jack Harkness" isn't even his real name! He took it from a guy he liked and knew he was going to die.
    Yup but he is supposed to be in the RAF, hence the uniform. It was quite common in the early years of the war for americans to volunteer for the RAF or Canadian air force.

  4. #4
    Major General Willow'sCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanduay View Post
    Yup but he is supposed to be in the RAF, hence the uniform. It was quite common in the early years of the war for americans to volunteer for the RAF or Canadian air force.
    Spoilers Torchwood/Doctor Who.

    Spoiler:
    Well since we now know he stole that identity it is of little concern to me whether it is accurate or not. In fact in Doctor Who it never struck me as a real title, I just assumed the other stuff we now know was tacked on for Torchwood, but not even thought of when they conceived the character... it seemed more about what "Jack the Con artist" wanted to call himself.


    Anyway it sounds cool. Leave him alone.

  5. #5
    Colonel Pitry's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    officially there...
    Posts
    5,110

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    spoilers for Captain Jack Harkness...

    [spoiler]I thought they said he was in an American volunteer division [or: enter some other unit deisgnation]?
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P


  6. #6
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    cebu, philippines
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitry View Post
    spoilers for Captain Jack Harkness...

    [spoiler]I thought they said he was in an American volunteer division [or: enter some other unit deisgnation]?
    He was an american volunteer posted into the (Britis) RAF 266 squadron

    Trust me I know about the battle of britain.

    He is one of the most engaging characters on tv tho'

  7. #7
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    I've had the very same issue, it really doesn't work. However when he first appeared, I'm sure he wore Flt Lt rank braids... they changed it for Torchwood however.


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  8. #8
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    cebu, philippines
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    I've had the very same issue, it really doesn't work. However when he first appeared, I'm sure he wore Flt Lt rank braids... they changed it for Torchwood however.
    Hehe I looked up that episode on disc. Guess what, when Jack first appeared in Dr Who, he was wearing the uniform of a Wing Commander. (3 stripes, in Torchwood he has 4)
    I also found a website that confirms that Group Captain rank was never shortened to just captain.

    Unusual for the BBC to cock up like that.

    Do not forget when Jack was in 1941 he was actually serving, not just walking around in a uniform.

  9. #9
    Captain jesserella's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth, WA :)
    Posts
    1,637

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    i always thought he refered to himself as captain, because he was captain of his ship

  10. #10
    Major General
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    13,395

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Spoiler:
    In the episode when Jack went back in time we found out that he met the real Captain Jack Harkness (who was an american) in 1941 and knowing that he was going to die, took his name

  11. #11
    Captain jesserella's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth, WA :)
    Posts
    1,637

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    we know that ^, they've been discussing it above

  12. #12
    Major wise one's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Shielding McKay From Sunlight And Falling Citrus
    Posts
    2,848

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    the scene where they kiss each other made me squirm!!!
    .................................

  13. #13
    Data ShadowMaat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Doctor Horrible's Lab
    Posts
    17,531

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by wise one View Post
    the scene where they kiss each other made me squirm!!!
    Made me squirm with jealousy.

  14. #14
    Captain Commander Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Work Work Work
    Posts
    1,857

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesserella View Post
    i always thought he refered to himself as captain, because he was captain of his ship
    me too and because Captain Jack Harkness sounded hotter than just Jack Harkness and because Captain Jack Harkness when people "SCiFi people" say it to POTC fans they get as far as "Captain Jack" before the POTC fans finish it with "Sparrow" and you hit them and say "No stupid, Harkness haven't you seen Torchwood!" and then you laugh

  15. #15
    Major General Willow'sCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Jumper View Post
    me too and because Captain Jack Harkness sounded hotter than just Jack Harkness and because Captain Jack Harkness when people "SCiFi people" say it to POTC fans they get as far as "Captain Jack" before the POTC fans finish it with "Sparrow" and you hit them and say "No stupid, Harkness haven't you seen Torchwood!" and then you laugh
    LOL! Well they do have many things in common.

  16. #16
    Captain Commander Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Work Work Work
    Posts
    1,857

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    LOL! Well they do have many things in common.
    yes...teh hotness (well Jack H. is mega hotter ) the conman scheme, silly plots.... but Jack has a more deeply troubled past and can't die, not to mention he can take things seriously

  17. #17
    Captain Commander Ivanova's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    1,919

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by wise one View Post
    the scene where they kiss each other made me squirm!!!
    In a good way?
    http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5...phugrodeg1.gif "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

  18. #18
    Major wise one's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Shielding McKay From Sunlight And Falling Citrus
    Posts
    2,848

    Default Re: "Captain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
    In a good way?
    bad way, all though it did look like a cool kiss!!
    .................................

  19. #19
    Captain jesserella's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth, WA :)
    Posts
    1,637

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Jumper View Post
    yes...teh hotness (well Jack H. is mega hotter ) the conman scheme, silly plots.... but Jack has a more deeply troubled past and can't die, not to mention he can take things seriously

    yea captain jack is way hotter and is a really cool character, i agree cj deeply troubled

  20. #20
    Second Lieutenant Toresica's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    309

    Default Re: "Capatain" Jack Harkness?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesserella View Post
    i always thought he refered to himself as captain, because he was captain of his ship
    Makes sense to me.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. John Barrowman/Jack Harkness Thunk thread
    By iLemon in forum Torchwood
    Replies: 4793
    Last Post: October 24th, 2014, 02:33 PM
  2. Torchwood - Captain Jack explained... Maybe
    By Flyboy in forum Torchwood
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: January 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
  3. Captain Jack gets his own show
    By Egeria in forum Doctor Who
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: October 29th, 2005, 03:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •