Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys. I would like to ask something. I am thinking about watching SGU but I am not decided yet. I heard so many different opinions on it and would have a question. Why there are so many negative opinions? What is so bad that it would discourage me from watching it? I would like to know some pro and cons without spoilers. Just the basic thing that did/didn’t work wery well here.
    My urge to watch it isn't that big but maybe one day it could be nice to finally close the SG series. Or before the SG series that maybe will be one day made

Comment

Definitely watch SGU I never listen to others because it only taints your view of the experience

I love all the Stargate series And although SG-1 is my personal favourite they all have their own good and bad differences...
      Signature removed by popular demand...

Comment

Originally posted by AmFor View Post
        Hi guys. I would like to ask something. I am thinking about watching SGU but I am not decided yet. I heard so many different opinions on it and would have a question. Why there are so many negative opinions? What is so bad that it would discourage me from watching it? I would like to know some pro and cons without spoilers. Just the basic thing that did/didn’t work wery well here.
        My urge to watch it isn't that big but maybe one day it could be nice to finally close the SG series. Or before the SG series that maybe will be one day made
        Watch it and form your own opinion. If you would've asked me if you shoudl watch it when this series came out...I would've said "No" without hesitation. I'm now doing a rewatch with my son, and I'm enjoying it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmFor View Post
          I personally enjoyed SGU. I liked the arc and that compared to SG-1 and Atlantis the characters weren't all best buddies and hadn't built up a team trust so it was refreshing. I also liked that the recurring characters seemed to have as much depth and development as the main characters.

I think a lot of people didn't bother with SGU because they were still angry that Atlantis had been cancelled and others felt it was much like more like the reimagined Battlestar Galactica in the way it was directed. Nowadays that's the way sci-fi space travel and combat are basically handled via a shaky documentary-type camera shakes and lens flares.

I really wish those fans that left had played the long game though. By basically not sticking around for SGU and allowing the ratings to drop in a way they were waving a flag to TPTB as if to say "well I'm not interested in this franchise anymore" and so TPTB's answer to that was to cancel the third SG-1 DVD movie, the Atlantis DVD movie, and I think there were even plans for a crossover movie between those two shows as well one of which would have focused heavily on Jack O'Neill and I think we 'Shippers would have been given the confirmation of a romance between him and Sam Carter. A great shame.

Thinking back on the state of Stargate after all this time makes it feel like those three last years of the Noughties was a whole other country.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I would say watch it and even the Infinity as well. I mean we haven't got new episodes for almost a decade, so don't miss the full franchise experience.

SG:U - I don't like the logo. I don't like how even GateWorld is just barreviating it to SGU instead of writing "Universe" next to SG-1 or Atlantis. Universe is the name of the spinoff and not the "SGU". The producers wanted to be trendy with this, but I believe the show has lost a little respect with this step, so I believe GateWorld should fix it at least.

I have enjoyed Universe even if it is slowlier and more character based. It has got a much better rewatching value if you can watch 3-4-5 episodes in a row as the main story goes. They should have run the Atlantis S6 and Universe S1 together, so it was a really bad decision from SyFy. As bad as how SG-1 was not renamed to "Command" after season 9 or how they have randomly killed 2 main characters in Atlantis S3 (or dr. Fraiser in SG-1 S7). But this is history now, so what is done is done. I hope they can learn from it, so the the nextgenSG will be amazing.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I have been rewatching SGU since 2 days back. I saw it for the first time when it was released in Sweden back in 09. The main thing i love SGU is the concept of Destiny itsekf. traveling on the other side of the known universe for millenias.

in my opinion, SGU is a little bit better then SG1 series.
              at the time of this writing, im on season 1 ep14 - human
              Commander Grade
              Lt. General of The Global Network

Junior Woodchucks Lieutenant

"It is easier to know where you are going when you know where you have been."

"A wise ninja does not seek out an enemy he does not fully understand "

Comment

Thank you everybody for all your answers

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  SG:U - I don't like the logo. I don't like how even GateWorld is just barreviating it to SGU instead of writing "Universe" next to SG-1 or Atlantis. Universe is the name of the spinoff and not the "SGU". The producers wanted to be trendy with this, but I believe the show has lost a little respect with this step, so I believe GateWorld should fix it at least.
                  That just reminded me of how disappointed I was when I didn't see this logo in 2010.

"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    Nowadays that's the way sci-fi space travel and combat are basically handled via a shaky documentary-type camera shakes and lens flares.
                    SGU is notable in the fact, that its visual language eventually developed into its own by mimicking human head and body movements relative to what was shown / in focus, and also employing an anonymous, fly-on-the-wall point-of-view. Just look at how "Water" was filmed.

This slightly wavy camera movement was employed when Destiny was in motion. So IIRC, the BSG "home video documentary" style was phased out. SGU also didn't have a preoccupation with lens flares.

To compare, "Star Trek: Discovery" has both lens flares and very wavy and intense camera movements, with short editing cuts everywhere, which is quite jarring.

And unlike in SGU, not an episode of Discovery passes by when someone is visibly pouring water out of their eyes. Okay, SGU has people crying in episodes, too, but not in every one episode, and usually, SGU characters are shown to shed their tears alone, which is very realistic in the way people have at one time a public face and a private face.
                    • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                    • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                    • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Since I finished my rewatch of this...I really enjoyed it. I must admit that it was painful for me to watch the first season when it originally aired, but I guess...being older...I enjoyed it more.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Since I finished my rewatch of this...I really enjoyed it. I must admit that it was painful for me to watch the first season when it originally aired, but I guess...being older...I enjoyed it more.
                        Couldn't agree more. I've just re-watched both seasons for the first time since the original airing, and I've been glued to the screen. Even characters I disliked I've grown fond of lol.

Comment

I wish that they had had a third season or a TV movie to wrap things up.

Comment

Richard Dean Anderson drew me to this series back in the 90s when it first aired. I loved SG1, SGA grew on me over time, and I absolutely loved SGU.

"It's not about going home, It's about getting us to where we're going." - Rush

"This ship was named Destiny for a reason."

So many possibilities in the storyline....

Could the people aboard the Destiny actually be "Destined" to fill the call? Could the crew end up being the source of the "intelligence" hidden in the background of the "big bang"? Time loops do exist, more than once.

I can't help but wonder if the mission of SGU actually causes the "events" at the beginning of observed time.

Could present day Earth be the ancestors of the Ancients and everyone that came before them?

Just playing with ideas....

Comment

Until a few months ago I hadn't even known this series existed. A couple days ago, despite being tired and having a headache, I watched an episode on the Freevee app. I can't say I liked the two male leads (a chubby guy who plays games in his pajamas and a grungy-looking doctor), and I didn't understand much. Maybe someday when I'm wide awake and feeling good I'll watch another episode.
                              https://this-is-your-wake-up-call.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hard to believe that a dozen days after my previous post that the Stargate by MGM channel on the Freevee app is back to showing Stargate Universe again. I watched the last part of an episode and the beginning of another, and I still can't get interested in this series. I don't know what's going on and I don't really like any of the characters. SG-1 is still the best thing about the entire franchise, and that includes the original movie.
                                https://this-is-your-wake-up-call.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X