This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to start watching Dr Who but...

Where do I start? What DVD set do I get first? Do I start with the New Series with Eccleston? Do I have to start at the beginning? It's a bit confusing to me.

I suspect that it depends how much time you have.

With the new companion arriving in Series 3/29, the show will have to do a bit of review for new fans, so the start of the upcoming series should help you catch up. (Whenever it finally airs in America. Scifi won't confirm anything yet--the idiots)

I would suggest tracking down Series 1/27 (On many PBS stations) and 2/28 with Chris Eccleston and David Tennant as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose (the companion). If you watch these, you will be all set for the series. The new series does not require that you have seen or know of the past mythology.

I'm sure the past show helps and will broaden your understanding and enjoyment of the show, but I find the new series wonderful and haven't learned that much about the earlier years yet.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I'd consider starting watching it with the 1996 movie, with Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Then you start the series with Eccelston as the 9th and naturally onto Tennant as 10th.

The movie isn't all that great, but it will give you a basic understanding of things before you move on to the series.

It will give you a rough idea of how things in the show work, what the Doctor was doing the new series, a short bit with the 7th Doctor, physiology, the concept of regeneration and it will also indroduce you to one of the Doctor's more dangerous enemies who has yet to appear in the new show (but if he does appear in the future you'll at least be prepared). Along with that, you also get introduced to the Dalek's (well sort off) and even some (abet a bit controversial) Tardis information and understanding.

I found that the new series just rushed into everything, and it would be a good idea to see the movie first before being thrust into what Doctor Who has to truly offer

sigpic

Comment

I dunno about the movie, I started to watch with 1/27 and I managed to figure out things just fine.... It's be a shame if someone's first exposure to Doctor Who would be the movie....
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the movie, to be honest. It was a poor reflection of the Who universe... Paul McGann was alright... didn't mind him. But the rest of it was forgettable.

I would do what someone suggested and start at the beginning of the new series. You don't need to know much about classic Who to enjoy new Who. However, you should be aware that they do reference stuff from 40 something years of Who mythology occasionally.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

start with the new series then if you like it ehough go back and watch some of the old eps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fisher View Post
              Where do I start? What DVD set do I get first? Do I start with the New Series with Eccleston? Do I have to start at the beginning? It's a bit confusing to me.
              I would view the classic series and the new series as different for your purposes.

In other words watch the new series, and if you have some spare time *just a few years* watch the classic series as a whole different experience.

From a purely visual view point, they are polls apart, so unless you really, really love retro shows, I wouldn't expect much from classic Who. I really think you have to have grown up with it to appreciate the genius of it.

It's a little like watching the original Star Trek when all you have known is TNG... disappointment that way lies.

Avoid the Movie from 1996 like the plague that it is!

Comment

I dunno about classic Who being disappointing - I entered it with a bit of a suspicious mind.... but TBH I was pleasantly surrpised, not just by my being able to watch a 70s show but at how much of the same spirit it has as the new Doctor Who.
                And Tom Baker.
                Tom Baker is god.

(so, while I'm not sure about watching Doctor #1, I admit to have fallen asleep at some point during Unearthly Child and the never-ending fire discussion, #4 is a must, IMO).
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I bought Doctor Who: Beginnings on DVD. That included the first two adventures of the first Doctor, but while it was nice to see the very first encounter with the Daleks, I found the Doctor himself really annoying- and not in a good way. I've crossed off all Hartnell from my list. But as for the rest... I'm at a loss as to which to watch, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    I bought Doctor Who: Beginnings on DVD. That included the first two adventures of the first Doctor, but while it was nice to see the very first encounter with the Daleks, I found the Doctor himself really annoying- and not in a good way. I've crossed off all Hartnell from my list. But as for the rest... I'm at a loss as to which to watch, too.
                    I found him annoying initially too... but he does get better... The Aztecs is a good first doctor story.

Unfortunately, the Troughton era has a lot of missing eps but The Tomb of the Cyberman is considered a classic. The Invasion's pretty good... they've filled in the missing eps with animation. I really like what they've done.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Well, thank you very much for your help guys, I just got the complete First Series yesterday and I'm about to start the first episode.

Comment

Working...
                      X