Clear All

The Inner Voice (315)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "The Inner Voice"

"The Inner Voice"
    Ep: 3.15
    Release Date: March 22, 2007
    Written by Alex Rubit

A routine attempt to find the Book of Nosah'trah turns into a struggle to survive when Chase returns to find Horizon facing all-out destruction.
    Outstanding
    8.33%
    Good
    50.00%
    Fair
    33.33%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    8.33%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Arina returns, in a bit of a different way, as Chase finds himself in an unusual situation! Another Thursday, and another new episode!

http://www.stargatehorizon.com

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 22 March 2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

This would have felt a lot more original if Atlantis hadn't done "The Real World." It was a good episode, nonetheless. I guess Chase is slightly better developed now, although I have to say, the mind scenario is getting a little... old.

One thing's for certain: Horizon characters know the most cliche way possible to say goodbye immediately before death. For evidence, see 314 more or less in its entirety, and Grant's death in this episode.

Overall: ***

Comment

This would have felt a lot more original if Atlantis hadn't done "The Real World." It was a good episode, nonetheless. I guess Chase is slightly better developed now, although I have to say, the mind scenario is getting a little... old.
        Yeah, I'm not sure if this story was created before The Real World, but I can see where you would see similarities. As for the mind thing, no plans to delve into any more stories like that in the near future.

One thing's for certain: Horizon characters know the most cliche way possible to say goodbye immediately before death. For evidence, see 314 more or less in its entirety, and Grant's death in this episode.
        The character Chase encountered in this episode were more or less as Chase sees them. Because Chase sees Grant as daring and noble, his death speech ends up being somewhat of a cliche.
        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
        Stargate Destiny, Fan
        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1 View Post
          Yeah, I'm not sure if this story was created before The Real World, but I can see where you would see similarities. As for the mind thing, no plans to delve into any more stories like that in the near future.
          In all fairness, though, just because The Real World did it first doesn't mean that it was better. The Inner Voice was what the The Real World should have been.

But I have to say, this has been the shortest episode of Horizon to date. I know I've said that about eps like "The Cold and Distant Stars" and "Night Terrors," but really, this one somehow managed to be the quickest read to date - only took about twenty-five minutes, about ten minutes less than usual. There wasn't really as much subtext in this one as there usually is, and the symbolism was pretty straightforward.

Comment

I enjoyed it throughoughly enough, loved it infact, and indeed, it went where no real world went before, more after I re-read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
              I enjoyed it throughoughly enough, loved it infact, and indeed, it went where no real world went before, more after I re-read it.
              It's not really that hard to top The Real World. It was a pretty bad episode.

Comment

That was a good episode,

but to be honest I felt like I watching a episode of deepspace nine, when doctor got attack and has to restore is own mind, it was virtually the exact same premise and not original at all.

Through that still made it interesting through I would of like a more dramatic ending to loral get suck out of the air lock.

Apart from that I really enjoy this episode.

Comment

I thought this was a great episode, even though it too reminded me of that Deep Space Nine episode, and I did find it to be far and above of the Real World. I kinda wish I posted on Friday considering the fact that I forgot what some of my comments were.

The ending I thought was perfect, the hole glas dome releasing Loral to space, I thought that was kind've an interesting concept, a novel one actually. And I also thoguht that it turned out to be well done, and would have if Horizon were actually on the silver screen, very visually pleasing.

I also thought that David for being armed to the teeth was actually a little under armed, for being armed to the teeth. My vision of Armed to the Teeth would have been having one M-249, one or two P-90s, and two Phasial Dischargers.

Comment

I really think that this episode lacked depth, though. It didn't do anything for Chase's character really, aside from establish that this was his dream job and that he built models as a kid. What does Chase actually want?

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to see people have been enjoying the episode.

Interestingly, this story evolved out of the fact that we ended up not doing "Recall," an episode we were planning to do in the first half of the season, and which would have been quite similar in concept. Considering that we've now done "The Inner Voice," it's highly unlikely, or I should say completely out of the question that the Recall story will ever see the light of day, so I can shed some light into what it would have been:

The concept was the same, only that it would have all taken place in a western setting. There's a partial outline that we ended up doing, and the episode started with Chase finding himself in a wild west town apparently on Earth in the late 19th century. He has no memory of how he got there, and he finds people he knows all over the place, and they all seem to be different from who they normally are. So it would have been a case of the regular cast playing different characters (very much like in "The Changeling"). We would have also met Chase's sister (who gets mentioned in "The Inner Voice"). Basically, everyone in this western town was claiming that Chase was the sheriff, and that he had been suffering from some kind of illness that had caused hallucinations, which is what his life on Horizon was -- according to them. At first Chase was resistant to accept any of it, but ultimately he started believing it, and it very much started feeling like reality to him. And then we had a leap forward -- 17 years later, I believe. So Chase apparently spent 17 years living his life in this town as the sheriff, until suddenly he started having hallucinations again. Things started to make less and less sense, and ultimately it turned out that this was all happening inside his head. And the resolution would have been very similiar to the one that we now see in "The Inner Voice."

When the concept was first pitched I thought it was a great idea. It seemed like a fun break from what we'd usually do on the show. But when it came to actually breaking the story, and producing an outline, it just didn't work. The main problem was that it was difficult to keep the whole thing interesting throughout the entire episode. There was also a question of where to take things exactly, and also we didn't have enough interesting and unique roles for all of our regulars to be playing in this dream world. And ultimately the story just moved along at a very slow pace. I ended up spending quite some time trying to work it out, until eventually I realizes that we just shouldn't be doing this episode at all. And when I brought that up to Mike and the rest of the staff, I think, everyone agreed that it just wasn't really working as we'd had hoped.

Of course, we still needed a Chase episode. And so I went back to this concept, which as I mentioned, I came up with as an idea for an Atlantis episode (working title was "Abandoned City"). But it ended up working great as a Horizon episode too. It was a lot of fun writing it, because basically for the most part the episode is a dream (sort of), so there's a lot of typical dream elements in there; i.e. moving from one location to another within the blink of an eye, trying to run from something, but not being able to move away.

The ending I personally love, because we finally reveal the question of how did the Vorians actually get the Stargate onto Horizon. Because remember, the Vorians haven't got transporter technology. So before I even worked out the story, I had this image in mind of the episode's bad guy (which became Loral) getting sucked out into space, and thus out of Chase's head.

And yes -- the concept is very similiar to a DS9 episode. Very much aware of that, but then again the concept of a character being trapped in a "dream world" is something that's been done on sci-fi before in general. So as long as you can still make a fun episode out of it, I think you can get away every now and then with doing something that may be somewhat similiar to something else. As long as it doesn't become a habit.
                      Last edited by Alex Rubit; 24 March 2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post
                        Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to see people have been enjoying the episode.

Interestingly, this story evolved out of the fact that we ended up not doing "Recall," an episode we were planning to do in the first half of the season, and which would have been quite similar in concept. Considering that we've now done "The Inner Voice," it's highly unlikely, or I should say completely out of the question that the Recall story will ever see the light of day, so I can shed some light into what it would have been:

The concept was the same, only that it would have all taken place in a western setting. There's a partial outline that we ended up doing, and the episode started with Chase finding himself in a wild west town apparently on Earth in the late 19th century. He has no memory of how he got there, and he finds people he knows all over the place, and they all seem to be different from who they normally are. So it would have been a case of the regular cast playing different characters (very much like in "The Changeling"). We would have also met Chase's sister (who gets mentioned in "The Inner Voice"). Basically, everyone in this western town was claiming that Chase was the sheriff, and that he had been suffering from some kind of illness that had caused hallucinations, which is what his life on Horizon was -- according to them. At first Chase was resistant to accept any of it, but ultimately he started believing it, and it very much started feeling like reality to him. And then we had a leap forward -- 17 years later, I believe. So Chase apparently spent 17 years living his life in this town as the sheriff, until suddenly he started having hallucinations again. Things started to make less and less sense, and ultimately it turned out that this was all happening inside his head. And the resolution would have been very similiar to the one that we now see in "The Inner Voice."

When the concept was first pitched I thought it was a great idea. It seemed like a fun break from what we'd usually do on the show. But when it came to actually breaking the story, and producing an outline, it just didn't work. The main problem was that it was difficult to keep the whole thing interesting throughout the entire episode. There was also a question of where to take things exactly, and also we didn't have enough interesting and unique roles for all of our regulars to be playing in this dream world. And ultimately the story just moved along at a very slow pace. I ended up spending quite some time trying to work it out, until eventually I realizes that we just shouldn't be doing this episode at all. And when I brought that up to Mike and the rest of the staff, I think, everyone agreed that it just wasn't really working as we'd had hoped.

Of course, we still needed a Chase episode. And so I went back to this concept, which as I mentioned, I came up with as an idea for an Atlantis episode (working title was "Abandoned City"). But it ended up working great as a Horizon episode too. It was a lot of fun writing it, because basically for the most part the episode is a dream (sort of), so there's a lot of typical dream elements in there; i.e. moving from one location to another within the blink of an eye, trying to run from something, but not being able to move away.

The ending I personally love, because we finally reveal the question of how did the Vorians actually get the Stargate onto Horizon. Because remember, the Vorians haven't got transporter technology. So before I even worked out the story, I had this image in mind of the episode's bad guy (which became Loral) getting sucked out into space, and thus out of Chase's head.

And yes -- the concept is very similiar to a DS9 episode. Very much aware of that, but then again the concept of a character being trapped in a "dream world" is something that's been done on sci-fi before in general. So as long as you can still make a fun episode out of it, I think you can get away every now and then with doing something that may be somewhat similiar to something else. As long as it doesn't become a habit.
                        Indeed, it was a fun episode, at least to me. I wasn't so sure about it up until about act three, but I really liked how everything came together. And you are right the ending was fun with Loral, although I have to admit that I never noticed that the Vorians did not have transporter technology.

Comment

Had to say I don't really have much bad to say against the episode. It kept my mind moving all the time, not sure if it was a coma or if he was captured by the Enoly. Some interesting insight into Chase which I'm glad we finally got! Not much else to say really.
                          Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 14 October 2007, 05:10 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It's a good episode, but IMO it'd be better if the indeed outstanding previous one hadn't the living-in-my-own-unconscious-mind part too. What I'm saying is that the two episodes are great, but we've "just" saw the Grant-mind part and one week later (in theory, because it was only a day for me... LoL) the Chase-mind episode... Too much of that in a short time period.

In the other hand, I love knowing more and more of the personal lifes of the team. Now Chase's hobby with the models, David's hobbies (barbecue some eps. ago and pool in the next one so far...)
                            sigpic
                            ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
                            - That's a lie!!!
                            - Indeed it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post
                              It's a good episode, but IMO it'd be better if the indeed outstanding previous one hadn't the living-in-my-own-unconscious-mind part too. What I'm saying is that the two episodes are great, but we've "just" saw the Grant-mind part and one week later (in theory, because it was only a day for me... LoL) the Chase-mind episode... Too much of that in a short time period.
                              Actually, there was "Trial by Fire" in between. I hope you didn't miss that one.

In the other hand, I love knowing more and more of the personal lifes of the team. Now Chase's hobby with the models, David's hobbies (barbecue some eps. ago and pool in the next one so far...)
                              Hmm. You sure you're not skipping episodes? I say that because you mention pool in the next episode. But the next episode is actually "Together We Stand," and the pool table is introduced in "The Allure of Atlas," which comes after that.

On a side note, if you like seeing more of the characters' personal lives, more character interactions outside of peril situations, just in general more character centric episodes, then you should love Season Four.

Because there'll be considerably more of that, in addition to plenty of action, of course. I thought I'd throw that out, because I figured it might be something more of you would be interested in knowing.

Comment

Working...
                              X