• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch-22 (317)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON THREE
    CATCH-22
    EPISODE NUMBER - 317

After seeing a flash of Charlie dying in the jungle, Desmond risks his new friend's life by leading him, Jin, and Hurley on a mission to find a visitor he believes is on her way. Kate faces her conflicted feelings when she sees Jack and Juliet together.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 06:00 PM.

Wait...why would old-girlfriend lady have a picture of Desmond and Penny in her backpack?

Comment

Originally posted by Paine View Post
      Wait...why would old-girlfriend lady have a picture of Desmond and Penny in her backpack?
      Maybe she works for Penny and has the pic to identify Desmond.

I love all the Desmond eppys, and I figured he would save Charlie at the last minute, but it was interesting how they talked about "tests of faith". Maybe to put a stop to Charlie's "deaths", Desmond really does have to just let it happen, and Charlie won't die at all.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

the lady in the parachute didn't look familiar to me. I think its just someone Penny sent.

the most important thing is that someone from the outside was able to find the island - making ben a liar.

but a great episode, and great use of the Catch22 concept. you have to wonder if desmond doesn't save charlie - will the person in the parachute be Penny? but since he did save charlie things changed and it wasn't Pen.

however, i don't think that Pen would ever come herself. I always imagined she'd send a crew. sucks that the lady had to ditch the chopper though.

and did anyone else notice the lady in the picture on the monk's desk was the old lady from the jewelry store...

edit: oh and the catch 22 book was in portuguese - which is the same language the dudes in the igloo monitoring station were speaking.

Comment

I think that, as stated above, the lady found in the jungle works for penny, looking for Desmond. I think that it was at the end of Season 2 when they didn't push the button and the energy/magnetic blast was sent out. Then there was the clip when Penny had detected that again. This leads me to believe that she did her research and found that the same blast happened when the plain he was on "dissapeared". This would make her keep looking for the signal/energy that she found had crashed the plain. Thus, when they didn't push the button a second time, she pinpointed their location.
          Through that information, penny may put all of her resources into finding him.

Also, this new lady on the island may give some information about the outside world, and what they know/are trying to do to save them. This could change the way that we are acting. If they are still looking, they may try to set up a special signal to contact them. Else if they have given up (more likely) they will start to become braver, and stronger against the others.

Just a theory

Comment

also if people know how to find the island now, this is in direct opposition to The Others - and their ideas that no one can find the island, and that no one can know they are there.
            so this is possible the catalyst for the war that is brewing between the two groups.

Comment

Originally posted by stargateanubis14 View Post
              I think that, as stated above, the lady found in the jungle works for penny, looking for Desmond. I think that it was at the end of Season 2 when they didn't push the button and the energy/magnetic blast was sent out. Then there was the clip when Penny had detected that again. This leads me to believe that she did her research and found that the same blast happened when the plain he was on "dissapeared". This would make her keep looking for the signal/energy that she found had crashed the plain. Thus, when they didn't push the button a second time, she pinpointed their location.
              Through that information, penny may put all of her resources into finding him.

Also, this new lady on the island may give some information about the outside world, and what they know/are trying to do to save them. This could change the way that we are acting. If they are still looking, they may try to set up a special signal to contact them. Else if they have given up (more likely) they will start to become braver, and stronger against the others.

Just a theory
              Um, Didn't Desmond crash his boat on the island? I don't remember him crashing in a plane.

Comment

Oops...my mistake.
                But it could be the same way with the boat. Shortly after he disapeared/reported missing, he didn't push the button.

(* i can't believe i made a mistake like that! *)

Comment

Originally posted by jmw326 View Post
                  Um, Didn't Desmond crash his boat on the island? I don't remember him crashing in a plane.
                  Yep. Desmond was in the process of sailing around the world, on a boat formerly owned by Libby's dead husband, when he got "lost".
                  sigpic

Comment

Anyone else realize Desmond's been on the island for 3 years? Which of the others do we know that's done this? Juliette. Maybe something they did to allow the submarine through caused Desmond to crash on the island.

Paine, i don't believe that was Ruth... Ruth had a lighter-skin color, if i remember correctly...

BUT, obviously this lady knows Desmond, for the only thing she said was "Desmond."

Comment

ok this ep was weeeeeird first it scared the something outta me cause of the beginning and well who was that woman in the end???

Comment

Another good ep. Hurley continues to rock as Locke's successor

Nothing is ever as it first appears on this island. Everyone's assuming that Penny sent this woman after Desmond, but what if she's actually been sent there by other interested parties? What if Penny's father (or the woman from the jewelry store, or the photographer who took the picture, or, heck, maybe even the head monk?) gave the parachutist that photo so that she could identify Desmond and see to it that he never <insert sinister music> leaves?

Who else, off island, is aware of the incident at the (former) hatch? What might they be planning to do about it?

Oh, and, B plot: I liked the whole Jack and James bonding over ping pong thing, and how James reacted to discovering why he got good... er... stuff... last night. Poor James!
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                          the lady in the parachute didn't look familiar to me. I think its just someone Penny sent.

the most important thing is that someone from the outside was able to find the island - making ben a liar.

but a great episode, and great use of the Catch22 concept. you have to wonder if desmond doesn't save charlie - will the person in the parachute be Penny? but since he did save charlie things changed and it wasn't Pen.

however, i don't think that Pen would ever come herself. I always imagined she'd send a crew. sucks that the lady had to ditch the chopper though.

and did anyone else notice the lady in the picture on the monk's desk was the old lady from the jewelry store...

edit: oh and the catch 22 book was in portuguese - which is the same language the dudes in the igloo monitoring station were speaking.
                          Jeez Morbo, you caught a lot of stuff that I missed. Thanks for connecting the pieces a little bit.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good Desmond episode and I especially liked the cliffhanger with "Naomi".

***s from me.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Great stuff again. Had me glued to the screen from start to finish...

Also actually took me back to the first season where I would get angry at the tv when the episode ended! I want more godammit!

Comment

One thing that i can't figure out is why they would add some one from the outside? The only thing i can think of is that she will bring some new information to the island. Maybe something about what the island is actually for? If the person looking for Desmond(if that's why she was there) can find the island, then they would probably do some research on it too. They may find out why the "others" were sent there (since we can't really trust anything the "others" say)

Comment

Working...
                              X